Friendship and Support

This is a story I found this morning, and I thought it was worth sharing. It expresses my feelings about this community…

"Just up the road from my home is a field, with two horses in it. From a distance, each looks like every other horse, but if you stop your car, or are walking by, you will notice something quite amazing. Looking into the eyes of one horse will disclose that he is blind. His owner has chosen not to have him put down, but has made a good home for him. This alone is amazing.

If nearby and listening, you will hear the sound of a bell. Looking around for the source of the sound, you will see that it comes from the smaller horse in the field. Attached to her halter is a small bell. It lets her blind friend know where she is, so he can follow her.

As you stand and watch these two friends, you’ll see how she is always checking on him, and that he will listen for her bell and then slowly walk to where she is; trusting that she will not lead him astray. When she returns to the shelter of the barn each evening, she stops occasionally and looks back, making sure her friend isn’t too far behind to hear the bell."

We members of this community are like these two horses, we are not rejected just because we are not perfect or because we have problems or challenges. We help each other and give help and support when we can, to those who are in need.

Sometimes we are the blind horse being guided by the little ringing bells of our fellow members. Other times we are the guide horse, helping others see.

Good friends and family are like this…you don’t always see them, but you know they are always there. Please listen for my bell, and I’ll listen for yours.

(I don’t post here very often but I applaud your wonderful community. Keep up the great friendship and support you give each other. I will join in when I can.)

Richard

Hi Richard,
Thank you for this beautiful story. I feel as you do. We are truly blessed to have each other here in our family. We each have friends and family of our own, but here we have a loving and supportive addition to our lives that is juat amaziing. Your analogy is right on target. As we reach out to each other in understanding, listening, empathizing, helping and just plain loving caring, we in turn are enriched in ways that just keeps on going. And i can tell you from first hand experience, together we can make it through anything. The friendship we all share is truly a beautiful thing.

My dear Richard,
The story is so right on target and beautiful. It really hit the spot in my heart how I feel about tuD. community. I hope all is well. And that you are going to enjoy the holidays coming up. These holidays mean alot to me and give a rebirth in life as well. This Thanksgiving give thanks to friends like you and family as well. Well, you and the others are family, right.
This message has bring my spirits up tonight, thanks. Patti

Richard:
This story really hits the mark! I don’t know if it was made up (by you or someone else) or true but it does describe this community VERY well (from my brief experience with it so far). Your story made me stop and think and smile. Thank you!