Frozen Shoulder

As a T1 for nearly 40 yrs and a massage therapist also very familiar with chiropractic care AND supplements in your local health food store, I have a special view of frozen shoulder. I have treated them as a massage therapist and with supplements. I would suggest a high molecular weight Hyaluronic Acid supplement first to get your joints well hydrated. Once that is done, then specialized care with a trained massage therapist can get things moving properly a little sooner than the time frame you are estimating. I hope this info helps a little.

Just got right shoulder operated on for bone spur with warning that it may also have partially been frozen shoulder due to my Type 1 but feel much better just 4 weeks later with much more range of motion although not 100% yet.

T1 for 30 years, never heard that diabetes might be a contributing factor. About 22 years ago severe pain raising right arm above shoulder. Cortisone shot eliminated most pain. Then 2 or 3 years later, same pain in left shoulder not quite but almost as bad. This time went thru PT stretch treatments which took a couple months for relief.
Shortly after right shoulder recovery discovered I could no longer pitch anything overhand without pain and still cannot. Used to be able to scratch any location on back and touch fingers from opposing hands - never since. I sleep on my sides and occasionally wake with pain in right shoulder and have to stretch it to get back to sleep. Can still work overhead ie on ceilings but with discomfort.
Thinking I should install pulley to ceiling so I can routinely perform PT stretches to the point of pain.

Hydrodilatation invented by an Australian doctor is the best procedure to have for frozen shoulder. I had this done to both of my frozen shoulders and I walked out of the outpatients that day able to get full rotation of my shoulders. It involves a needle into the shoulder cavity guided by xray and they inject about 40 to 60 ml of water and some local anesthetic into the cavity and it pops it back out of the ā€˜lockā€™ of the ā€˜frozenā€™ shoulder. I think there are now some doctors doing it in the US and UK. It works very well and the only risk from having it done is obvious things like infection etc like any procedure.

When I was working full time I started to have this kind of pain in my shoulder. It got so bad that I could not sleep and had to have about five pillows supporting my shoulder and arms when I went to bed. I was also told that people with diabetes got this more often. I went to physical therapy and it made it hurt so much that I gave up on that.
One day I was talking to a nurse at my work and she told me that the reason that people with diabetes get frozen shoulder is that the blood flow to the shoulder is cut off for some reason. Most of the blood ends up getting pumped right to the brain area. I didnā€™t question her but she said just walk a lot and it will promote blood flow and it will help the frozen shoulder a lot.
I did walk a lot and at first it was hard but I kept it up for a while and guess what? My frozen shoulder went away and I never had problems with it ever again. Where I worked at the time I was at a computer all day with my arms in the same position. We had a lot of work so I never took breaks or a full lunch, just ate at my desk but during that time I started to take a walk at lunch time for 30-45 minutes. Maybe that position cut the blood flow as well.
I would suggest walking as much as you can and if you are at a computer take breaks and try tot take a walk at lunch.
It wonā€™t stress your shoulder like some exercises and it will promote blood flow. I never would have put two and two together about this in a million years if it wasnā€™t for my nurse friend at work. No doctor or physical therapist ever mentioned it. It worked for me.

I got it at the 25 year mark with diabetes too.

Going through this as we speak. 6 months ago started with the pain, had no idea what was going on, so tried chiro, acupuncture, regular massage, myofascial massage, nothing worked. Couple of months ago started noticing limited range of movement which was a big deal since I had been doing yoga for years. Went to an orthopedist, got the steroid shot, taking a short course of Mobic, and twice weekly PT. Think the best help has come from medical massage, focusing on multiple trigger points and subscapularis. Sooo much better. Range still limited but vastly improved and I can sleep now.

Just home from physio today. Shoulders have been getting worse it seems. He told me that my neck nerves have been overcompensating for my wonky frozen shoulders. Thus the increase in pain. Getting a little frustrated with these shoulders. My BS has been really, really good the last 4 months, but these shouldersā€¦

I have calcific tendinitis in my left shoulder. Decided to wait with the cortisone and was able to regain all my motion with PT, but did not decrease the pain. I started seeing an osteopath PT/massage person and she has helped me tremendously.

Type 1 for 37 years. I feel like Iā€™ve trigger finger in almost every single finger! I wonder what the difference in frozen shoulder and bursitis is? I have to periodically get cortisone shots in my shoulder dur to bursitis. Itā€™s instant relief, but makes my blood sugars go crazy!