Generic Epi pens about the same cost as insulin

Wow. I am type 2 and am on affordable meds. I have insurance.

I think my doc is warming me up for insulin. I have the ACA. A lifesaver for now but what if?

Right now without insurance how do you afford insulin? And how much with both kinds?

I only have a little info; here goes.

I’m on ACA as well. T1 on expensive Tresiba. I am for right now surviving on the samples my doctor gets from his pharmacy rep.

This med is not on the formulary for my ACA plan.
So it is a temporary reprieve at best.

I’m certain you will get better and more comprehensive advice from others.
Just remember this as an option.

Check the drug manufacture sites. Some of them have savings plans, or savings cards or might even provide some financial assistance with medications. I cringe at what I would pay without insurance. I’m lucky I have both my plan and my husbands, but I feel for people on high deductible plans or still even some out there with no insurance. Its insane what the pharmaceutical companies are charging for some of these medications. My mother was on Avastin for about a year and half to treat her brain tumor…infusion every 2 weeks…at about 10,000 an infusion. Yes it bought her some time, and for a time even improved her quality of life…but insane what medications can cost.

1 Like

2tt

Lada lady. I am looking forward to Afreeza and other better methods of Insulin delivery.

1 Like

BTW. Tony Lada is in demand trombone player. Teacher at Berklee in 80’s. And beyond.

1 Like

I don’t have insurance, so I am self pay. I was diagnosed May 2013 as a Type 1,(although now a new doc is saying that is impossible because I am in my 50’s and “old people” don’t get Type 1.) I had no idea how much Lantus and Novolog cost, but I ended up running through my savings paying hospital and doctor bills in addition to buying both insulins. Now I am on Levemir and Novolog and I get the insulin from Novonordisk through their assistance program. If that was not available, there is no way I could afford it. Sanofi had a discount card for Lantus that gives a $100 discount on it, and I believe it can be used three times for a total of $300, even with that it was crazy expensive. I realize these drug companies pay a lot to develop and get medications approved for market, but good heavens, the prices are shocking for medications that one needs just to live.

1 Like

I self pay for Tresiba, and with the $500 discount card from NovoNordisk, it costs me $15/mo. I used to get Apidra the same way, but now the cost is prohibitive even with their discount card.

One of the way I get self-pay drugs reasonably is using the GoodRx discounts, coupled with the manufacturers discount cards. I get Afrezza that way, and between the discount card and the GoodRx discount, the cost is (for me) reasonable at about $100.

1 Like