Glycemic Index?

Hey everyone,

I just read an article talking about the Glycemic Index (G.I) and how a new study shows that counting G.I instead of carbs is more beneficial. As I read the article, it made complete sense to me. Carbs affect your b/s according to the G.I in them. Does anyone have any information or advice on this? I feel like I have to learn a new way to count my carbs and take in consideration the G.I. I am doing some research on this but any extra advice or helpful pointers would be much appreciated :slight_smile: Does anyone else use the G.I system?
Thank You :smiley:

• A

Unfortunately, Amber, as a Type 1 I have not found the glycemic index to be that relevant. I think it is a lot more relevant for Type 2’s. I can see a marginal difference in how I respond to some foods based on the GI. For example, I can eat 15 carbs of beans where 15 carbs of rice doesn’t work at all for me. But other than eliminating foods from my diet, I haven’t found the GI to be that relevant for my day to day carb counting and diabetes management. YMMV.

Thanks Zoe! :smiley: What does YMMV mean … LOL … I’m a little slow.

• A

The GI or Glycemic Index has helped me to determine which foods will make me spike faster. I have eliminated some of the foods with high GI numbers to avoid high blood sugar soon after eating. Cereal is no longer a breakfast food for me. I limit my portions of other foods with high GI numbers, like potatoes and pasta. That improves my overall control and has helped me keep my A1c below 6.0.

Amber,

I think YMMV is your mileage may vary. Either that or your method may vary. Funny. = )
What you read might be true for a type 2, but not for a type 1. If it is true for a type 2, it most
likely won’t be true forever.

I agree with Zoe. For a type 1, you have to count carbs regardless. The glycemic index typically is affected by how processed something is, how much fiber is in it, and how much protein is in it. Remember…

1. Weigh food instead of measuring. Prepackaged foods settle when they are shipped.
  2. FDA only requires that food labels are within 20% of what is contained in the package, so if you want to eat a serving with 40g carbs, that means it can have between 32g and 48 grams, and still be in compliance with FDA regulations. That means if you are miscalculating your carbs, it may not be your fault.
  3. Subtract fiber from the carbs listed on a package. (ie 1cup broccoli has 6g carbs and 2 grams fiber. That is only 4g carbs you would need insulin for.) Atkins people call these net carbs.
  4. To keep your carbs from peaking too quickly, try eating protein and veggies (remember, corn doesn’t count) before the starch if they are separate. That will make your carbs peak later so your insulin gets a chance to work. That helped me a lot on days when I would have spaghetti for dinner. I would always eat my broccoli first.
  5. Try to always eat at least the same volume of veggies as carbs when a bolus is required. That will help with eating fewer carbs and help keep the carbs from peaking as fast.

As silly as this may sound, that helps a lot! Thank you :slight_smile: I have a lot of research and reading to do. The more I can learn the better :smiley: Have a wonderful night! Oh and by the way, I love your pictures on your profile. Your family looks very sweet!

• A

“Your mileage may vary”. Meaning we are all different as diabetics!

Baby Tee, you are full of helpful information. THANK YOU :smiley: I really appreciate you taking the time to write me back in such detail. I didn’t know about # 1 and 2. I have found that measuring my foods is much more accurate for me. Again, thank you! have a wonderful night.

• A

Glycemic index may be of some value to T2, but it’s not partiicularly helpful for T1. Carbs, unless they have a ton of fiber, start digesting as soon as they hit saliva.

GI was determined using non-diabetics.

You still need to count carbs to dose insulin whether or not you want to factor in GI.

Fiber on nutritional labeling is not particularly accurate, nor are carbs. I only subtract fiber from carbs if the food has 50% or more fiber. Deducting a carb here or there doesn’t make that much difference in its effect on me.
Glycemic index may be of some value to T2, but it’s not partiicularly helpful for T1. Carbs, unless they have a ton of fiber, start digesting as soon as they hit saliva.

GI was determined using non-diabetics.

You still need to count carbs to dose insulin whether or not you want to factor in GI.

Fiber on nutritional labeling is not particularly accurate, nor are carbs. I only subtract fiber from carbs if the food has 50% or more fiber. Deducting a carb here or there doesn’t make that much difference in its effect on me.

Very good post, and I agree, but the GI is still helpful to me as an extra added attraction.

Thank you for taking the time to write to me about this. Everyone seems to have the same opinion about the glycemic index, which is refreshing. I read that article and thought wow … this is interesting but I know nothing about the G.I. Glad I don’t need to learn a new way to count my carbs LOL Thanks again JohnG :smiley:

• A

I agree. I am going to count my carbs of course but I’m going to keep in my the GI of foods and see if it affects my b/s in anyway. I think it’s helpful to learn things for yourself, thanks again Richard :slight_smile:

Thanks Gerri! It’s been very helpful to read everyone’s feedback and see what has worked for them. I had no clue about the fiber … very helpful! I know that measuring my food has proven to be more accurate than trusting in the nutritional label. Although it can be a hassle at times to measure and weigh everything, it is well worth it!!! Take care Gerri and thanks again :smiley:

• A

I’m with you on not trusting labels. I need to find the link I had about findiing hidden carbs. You plug in what the label states, it adds it up & gives the true total.

I highly recommend the EatSmart scale. Made my life much easier. It has 999 preprogrammed ingredients (cooked & raw) & gives info on carbs, fat, sodium, protein, etc. in grams & ounces. It keeps a total of numerous foods, which is great when you’re cooking something with lots of different ingredients. You get a discount as a Tu D member. Go to “Resources” at the top of every page & then click on Member Discounts.

AWESOME … thank you for the discount tip! I will check that out. The Eat Smart scale sounds like a diabetic dream LOL

Love it! It’s cool looking also. Beautifully designed. You want the one that’s called Pro Nutrition. Oops, 1000 items in the data base, not 999.

I do work with the glycemic index in mind .For instance : I would eat mashed potatoes rarely …they increase my BG too rapidly ( higher on the list ) ; G.I different from red skin potatoes , purple potatoes index even lower .Fiber makes the difference …I eat spuds with skin on most of the time , not enough fiber to give less bolus insulin and I aim for the lower foods on the chart .
I question the wording " counting GI " compared to counting carbs if correct ??
http://www.glycemicedge.com/glycemic-index-chart/

Your Mileage May Vary – from car ads in the 70’s (?) Maybe before your time!
Some people use YDMV – Your Diabetes May Vary, but I like YMMV better, because it’s more picturesque. :slight_smile:

thank you Nel! That link is great and very informative :slight_smile: I think working with the glycemic index and being aware of how different foods affect your b/s levels is wise :smiley: Take care!