Glycemic Index?

Thank you S Woodward! That was very helpful, I have learned that a carb is not always a carb. I appreciate the advice, have a great weekend :smiley:

I discoveredthis about 2 months ago after using the CGMand noticing different foods affect glucose change differently. Some foods are really minimized or verbotten others seem to help. The carbs that I like are more whole grain. Barley is a great carb, both as a grain and as a flour. Oatmeal seems to raise sugar quickly, white flour is the worst. White rice is bad too. Sweet potatoes or long grain rice are OK. Rye Bread(some is good) unfortunately foods are not yet labeled for glycemic index but many web sites help with info. Without exercise, both my wife and I are losing about 3 to 4 pounds a month!!

Glycemic Index diet is a great way to go

Zoe,

I have found it to be very helpful - did not really notice until used CGM - it is really significant tomaintaining stable glucose.

yes you need to count carbs, but depending upon glycemic index, the insulin can peak too soon or too late - a good understanding of the glycemic index is key to managing T1 Diabetes. I have beenpumping for over 20 years and trying to use lessons learned from glycemic index for about t months - A1c downfrom 8.8 to6.8 and weight down 6 pounds in 2 months - soI am convinved!

not so gerri - I am having great results using the GI and I always subtract the fibre.

Ben, I have found the opposite regarding rice. Particularly the white sticky rice and have switched exclusively to long grain dark rices from a glycemic index site the following data is interesting. I have started using Barley in stead of white rice and its quite tasty.

Barley, pearled 25
Converted, White 38
Long grain, White 44
Buckwheat 54
Brown 55
Basmati 58
Couscous 65
Cornmeal 68
Aborio 69
Short grain, White 72
Instant, White 87
Wild rice 87
Glutinous (Sticky) 98

Natalie, The rate of rise I tink is about the same. The difference is the insulin response. But you cant dose appropriately unless ypou know how fast the food will peak. I have had great luck utilizing lower glycemic index foods in managing my insulin.

all grains are not the same!

Barley - 22-48

Barley, cracked - 50

Barley, rolled - 66

Buckwheat - 49-63

Cornmeal boiled in water - 69

Couscous (processed wheat) - 61-69

Millet - 71

Rice, long-grained white - 50-64, average 56

Rice, short and medium grained white - 83-93

Rice, brown - 66-87

Wheat, whole kernels - 30-48

Wheat, bulgar (cracked wheat) - 46-53, average 48

Well, I think this is a very YMMV situation. For me, all carbs give me a rise and it occurs at about the same time, except if I eat them with a lot of protein and fat. BUT, I’m a picky eater AND a non-cook, so I just don’t like or want to cook many of the “low-glycemic index” foods. Plus I am a one food at a time eater, so the tiny portions which would be required to keep the rise under control are not satisfying to me. So I prefer to eliminate most starchy carbs, and go with low-carb eating, in which case the glycemic index doesn’t matter. I know I’m eccentric, but surely not unique (or maybe I am, LOL!).