Handling holidays

This is probably a little late, although I know there are plenty of us who have holiday functions after Dec. 25. I am wondering how you deal with the holidays.....the busyness and time to take care of you, eating, food-pushers, maybe NO control over what is served, and even your own eating habits? Do you have secret weapons you use, things you tell yourself, ways of dealing with the stress and time of year? Share,please as there are plenty of holidays during the year that we need to be prepared for, Thanks so much

No, it isn't off topic at all, Chadd and I think it was a great idea! Good for you (and your coworkers) for being willing to take a stand and do what was best for you, so you could avoid the snarky comments and actually enjoy the party!

I started a Type 1 Women's group that has occasional potlucks at a member's house. I moved away and miss the group terribly! I'm going down to visit in a couple weeks and besides looking forward to seeing everyone I'm looking forward to a potluck where things actually have carb counts listed!

I was very happy on Thanksgiving. Besides avoiding lots of carby foods I'm also a vegetarian so Thanksgiving doesn't do much for me.(I also don't think the pilgrim's treatment of the Indians is much to celebrate, but that's a different story!). My 65th birthday came on Thanksgiving this year so my brother, his wife and my niece took me to an excellent vegetarian restaurant in San Francisco and I felt like a princess! Usually, as a vegetarian, the only thing I can eat on your average restaurant menu is pasta and we all know how well that works!

I spent the first part of my life doing a miserable job at taking care of myself. So once I learned that I could and should do just that, doing what is right for me (as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else) became automatic. I always bring a dish to any meal even if it isn't technically a potluck, so that way I know there is at least one thing I can eat. But I also know a lot of people who have specific food preferences/requirements (maybe it's a California thing!) so we are used to people making choices. I also can be intimidating when I want to, so people rarely pull the "shouldn't you" stuff on me. Honestly, I think they know I will bore them to death with explanations if they try!

As for "temptation" or "cheating" I always feel I come off as a goody-goody when I say this, but it just isn't an issue for me. With 19 years recovery from an eating disorder I never overeat. Even at all you can eat buffets I just fill my plate with what feels like the right amount of food and have my meal. I'm not "tempted" not because I'm so "good" or "strong" but because I just don't think that way. If I want pasta, or a bagel or like today my traditional Christmas tamales, I just eat them. I do it only very occasionally and I always eat a moderate portion and try and correctly bolus for it. (I did say "try"!). I don't think that I am "cheating" or "being bad". I'm too old to think in those terms; my mother died decades ago! Some things, like sugar, I just never eat, and it's been so long since I have that it just doesn't tempt me. It's just a different mind set: Because I know I can have something if I want it, it doesn't take on the air of forbidden that makes you crave it. Kind of like teenagers in European countries where wine is routinely served with dinner, have less of a problem with teen binge drinking when they leave home; it's just not a big deal.

Once again, Chadd, great idea! Who knows maybe your group will serve as role models for healthy eating at your workplace!

it's hard time forme, especially Christmas, as there are traditional dishes which are not good for me, desserts and cakes. WE have herrings in oil as a entree and muchroom soup it is OK, thank fish , I don't take potatoes, and sour crout to it, which I drop in my menu and I take just to taste , no harm. BUT CAKES. I can't resist so I take usually a little bit so I will not miss in my head. I drink one cup of white wine. OUr Eve Christmas diet is good for diabetics, next days are more difficult, especcally with cakes. I am not trying to eat them.

I am lucky living in Australia, our Christmas dinner is turkey, ham and salads, but potato salad was my downfall. I ate a little tiramisu for dessert. Had the same again at tea time, spent today miserable, should have avoided the potato salad, but I refuse to feel guilty about potato salad, I ate it, I felt bad and that is that. I am not much tempted by sweet things, just carbs that are my downfall.

i understand you as I am Polish and our food love is bread potato and cabbage and great cakes, all of them are just great. It was hard to resign from bread , so I was "eating" in the mouth but not swollowd and spit. then I didn't miss the taste. the same with potatoes and fineally I stopped eating them I guess flour in bread and potatoes are addictive and when i stopped eating them I don't miss tehm. Limiting made me hungry for them but completely elimanating solve the situation

What a great idea at work! Three cheers for you! So many of us are not wanting to single ourselves out and be noticed, but we already are when the food pushers note what we are taking or not taking. I am very impressed. As for family, mine is very small, and my husband and I are the only diabetics....so I make sure that we bring something that we can eat.....snacks or meals, etc and then we have to be careful to pick and choose. I "think" over the last 15 yrs my family has been educated enough to know NOT to push things on us, or at least to tell me if there are any "secret" ingredients in anything.

Once again, great ideas. I guess it pays to ask the obvious questions. I have to admit that I had a period of time this fall where I did just "give" up and decided to see if I could have just a little of some of the foods I had done so well ignoring....well, a short time became longer, and longer, and now I know for sure there was a reason I ignored them. It's good to hear about people who have been wise and "played the game" right. Thanks for sharing with us

It took me a very long time, sdkate, to learn that sugar was addictive for me and that it was much easier to cut it out altogether than try to eat "just a little". I think carbohydrates are also addictive, for some mildly, for some severely and many people find that cutting something out is easier for that reason.

I prefer to celebrate the reason, and enjoy the people. I love wrapping gifts, I enjoy baking stuff I have no plans to eat, and I enjoy glitter!

My own secret weapon is to not make the holiday about food and to practice self control if needed. I may not have control over what is served at a gathering but I do have control over saying no thanks.

Good for you Karen. I am sure that you walk through the holidays with grace and control. I wish I had that kind of control to bake and not taste,.....

I had quite the argument with a CDE one day, when she suggested that if I liked and enjoyed M&M's so much, I could count them out, but them in snack bags and ONLY eat what my carb count would allow. I had to ask her if she was kidding, because, YES I love M&M's but to not eat the whole bag....can't do it. So I had to give them up completely. After a short period of craving them and saying NO, Cathy....I gave them up and don't miss them ---- much

Oddly, holidays are rarely a problem for me. I can spend two days baking cookies and never eat even one. I actually spent a day this week making French macarons, and gave them all away. I enjoy the science of cooking and do a lot of it, so I have learned how to cook without eating. That said, I do taste a little while cooking--you have to.

Usually holidays are at my house. This year we had a crowd on Christmas Eve and I served what has been served for the last 20 years. Even though the meal seems problematic it is not. I made every single piece of it, including Italian (chicken) sausage and the lasagna noodles. When I cook it, I know exactly what I am eating and it just makes life and diabetes easier.

My holiday meals tend to be a bit higher fat and very low carb. I can be fat free another time, but the richness satisfies something for me. And when irresistible sweets come my way (rarely do I let them) I eat very small portions and pump for the carb load.