Has anyone switched from pump back to shots? and why?

I’ve been on shots for almost 8 years. I’m about to be pumping soon if everything goes as planned. I will probably like it and will have better control. Has anyone tried a pump and not liked it for whatever reason and gone back to shots? what were you reasons?

I just want to make sure I’m making the right choice.

2 hours and no response (besides mine)…speaks for itself doesnt it!!! What pump are you getting?

I was thinking the same thing! Omnipod or Animas. There are so many choices and considerations so it wont be easy deciding.

Maybe this will help you out some.

http://www.diabetesnet.com/diabetes_technology/insulin_pump_models…

The major players are AccuCheck Spirit, Medtronic x22/x23, Animas Ping, and the Omnipod. The Deltec Cozmo isn’t being made after 03/09… Hope this helps some…

Thanks solobaricsrock!

No prob. Click on the pump model names, and it gives some pretty good info on each model. Glad this helped some. I also have personal experience with the Medtronic 723 and the Ping.

I also think you’ll be glad that you made the switch. I used to take ‘pump vacations’ when I wanted a break or anticipated being at the beach a lot, but I don’t even do that anymore unless I’m going to do a lot of diving. My initial reluctance to go on the pump was centered around the idea that I just didn’t want to be attached to a machine all of the time, but the truth is that I haven’t found anything more liberating than the pump! Going tubed isn’t nearly as big of a deal as I anticipated, but now with the tubeless omnipod that isn’t even an excuse anymore…

I took a pump vacation once, not on purpose. I was 400 miles from my supplies when the pump went empty at 12:30am. Found a 24 hour pharmacy, got an emergency script for lantus and 10 needles. Planned drive home was only 12 hours away anyway so it all worked out. But now I have an emergency set of supplies in my first aid kit in the van.

Thanks guys. I’m probably going to wish I pumped sooner once I start, right?

This is way off topic but why did I stop getting emails for updates on my discussions? It shows up on MY PAGE in the activity but not in my email. It just stopped about an hour ago. Is it just me or is it Tudiabetes?

I thought about going back to shots when I first started pumping mostly because I had shots down well and didn’t like the extra work that goes along with finding your basal’s/bolus for diff times day, etc, etc. And the catheter I was using was to big and it only worked sometimes but I was new to pumping so I didnt know how to trouble shoot as well. I have now been pumping for a year and wouldn’t go back. Might try the CGM at some point also. Have the minimed revel 523. Good luck

Good idea! I always take lantus on longer trips but don’t usually take it with me on shorter ones.

You’ll definitely wish you switched sooner! Honestly, the only stressful part is picking a pump. But the truth is that I don’t think there is any such thing as a wrong pump. Not sure about the notifications thing.

Pumps are fantastic. Keep some of your shot supplies, though. You’ll need them once or twice a year. For example, my daughter went to almost 400 before we realized she had a bent cannula. (Unfortunately, that happens sometimes.) Gave her an injection to make darn sure she got her insulin, then hooked her back up with a new site.

People have switched back to MDI please search in the forum. Pumps are not always fantastic. I really dislike that pumps are portrayed as the only solution for good control. Just look at the A1c of pumpers at TuDiabetes. It is a big pharma myth that pumps will lead to better A1c and less fluctuations. It is true that a portion of us will only reach god control with the pump but it is a fraction. Most people with bad control are having problems with their basal coverage. If you address these problems properly for example with two shots of Levemir the quality of control with pump and MDI is comparable. But see for yourself…

Pumps are not the only solution. But after 7 years on the pump, you could not wrench it away from me…
The convenience and ability to change insulin delivery as daily life situation/events change has been the greatest benefit to me. You cannot “take back” the daily basal injection just because you decided to move some extra furniture,or take an extra walk around the block. I know you can “feed” your insulin, but I have never been fond of geting fat, which I tended to do when on shots: “fed” my insulin a lot. My skin was getting lumpy and blotched from MDI, sometimes up to 6-8 injections a day!!!

The pump is a lot of work, but to me well worth it. I only go untethered ( use lantus and novolog, injections) when on vacations where we boat or swim a lot. If I had an Omnipod insterad of a MM 522, I would never go untethered. I LOVE my pump…

God bless,
Brunetta

Remember, you can always switch back, people do it all the time, but the only way you’ll know for sure is give it a try. Holger had a good suggestion, search for some of the older posts, it isn’t always the right solution and you can see what some of the problems are for others. I’m still on shots (34 years) and am pretty sure I wouldn’t like a pump with the tubing. Thought about the omnipod but it’s just too big (and funky looking). I’m not quite ready and that’s half the battle. I’m waiting and hoping that the new Solo will fit the bill, I’ve waited this long, what’s another year! But my control has always been good, A1c 5.8! I am on the Dex CGM though, thought it would be a good step before the pump and I love it! Very interesting.
Good luck!

Hi Brunetta, I do not critizise the use of pumps. I critizise the community for not using common sense when it comes to pumping. As you said the pump is a lot of work. To put it more general: good control is a lot of work. A pump will not guarantee good control as many hope. Without the commitment of its users the approach will fail boldly. So the pump is just a tool that has some advantages and some disadvantages.

For me the pump has an disastrous psychological effect: the catheder and the pump reminds me of being type 1 diabetic all the time. Normally I feel good about myself so this is really impacting my quality of life. This is a very individual effect comparable to your statement that you felt like needing to feed the insulin on MDI. Thus I can understand why you prefer the pump. I think this individual reasoning makes it so hard to tell whether or not someone will see real benefits from pumping. Some will say: with the pump I can eat what I want and this is quality for me. I would say good control is the fundament for my quality of life so I do not want to eat what I want because I know that this will aways come with a price for my control. Again my perception against the perception of another individual. I think it would be really good if anyone could try the pump for a while without being critizised for the final decision they make.

Mike - I went on a pump a few years ago - after injecting for 40 years. At the time, I had good control of my diabetes with MDI (multiple doseage injections) - but had a few friends using pumps that encouraged me to give it a go. I didn’t think I would like being hooked up to a machine, but I found after “test driving” a few types, that within 6 months - I was purchasing one (I could only do this because of private health insurance that covered 80% of the $6K cost - otherwise - it was just a pipe dream). What I have found with the pump is that it educated me on how to use my insulin properly, something I really never knew much about before and sometimes I think I had a horse shoe up my behind with being in good health with MDI.

Back in April - I decided to take a pump break - and see if I could maintain the same control as I did on my pump. So far, I have and I’m at the point right now of not being sure if I’m going to go back to the pump as I’m abit like Holger in some of the points he’s made.

I’m glad I’ve been given the opportunity to use both methods to control my health. If you won’t be too much out of pocket, I’d say … go for it - what have you got to lose? For myself tho’, I find both methods aka poor mans pump (MDI) and insulin pump work for me, maybe it’s easier for me to say this because I’ve been diabetic for so long, and don’t know any other way of living? Not sure.

All I know is, I’ve got an expensive piece of machinery in my chest of drawers right now, I feel guilty that I’m not using it, and that someone else that can’t afford this expensive device could be using it (I had to borrow to pay the 20% portion that wasn’t covered - so that’s another guilt aspect on me too). Yes,guilty as charged - put me away in prison (but please visit me with a chocolate cake with a file in !!).

The Roller Coaster Ride of Diabetes - Whoo! Whoo!

I agree that the impact on control is way overblown (studies show a pretty modest improvement after the pump), BUT the bulk of this thread is dedicated to the level of ‘freedom’ it gives somebody. I agree 100% that control is about putting in the time, but don’t take the enthusiasm that pumpers have for their choice as a knock against your choice. It isn’t.

I didn’t see anyone being criticized for going back. I and others have said that people migrating to the pump will probably love it, but the intent of that is to encourage giving it a shot – it is a big hurdle just to take that plunge – and not to criticize someone that it doesn’t work for. I’d never try to change someone’s mind if they didn’t want or like the pump and they were able to meet goals on MDI. Or say that my way is better than someone else’s. I just love my pump and am not afraid to say it!

Holger, I think a lot like you, the phycological effect of being “hooked” to a machine 24/7 with the tubing and pump hanging on me would be a constant reminder that I’m ill. I admire people who can look beyond this. Right now, as I sit here, I feel no different. I’ve said this before, to me it would feel like being hooked to a cholostomy bag only it’s going in, not out!
Have you checked out this new Mendingo Solo?