Help! Stay on metformin and ozempic?

Hi! I’m so glad I’ve found this place. I’ve been flying solo trying to navigate this new type 2 journey. Of course I have a great family and doctor…but I also know I need a second opinion and don’t know where to turn.

A little background…I was diagnosed with A1C of 9.9 around August 1. Fast forward to now…I’m down 45 lbs from 213 to 168 and my A1C is now 4.8! This diagnosis scared me to death so I did all I could do.

But my doc still has me on 2000 mg of metformin daily and .50 ozempic weekly. My gut tells me this is crazy. If I’m at 4.8 shouldn’t I give myself a change to see if I can keep a low reading without all the meds? I don’t even know what kind of doctor I search for in seeking a second opinion?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Julie

1 Like

Did you ask current doc about changes, and he/she said no?

An endocrinologist is a doctor that you may want to get 2nd opinion from.

Particularly due to weight loss, I would agree possible reduction or elimination of the 2 meds. But you may find the weight comes back.

My mom is type 2, always normal weight, but still on T2 meds after 35+ years, now almost 90. (I am T1).

1 Like

It is possible the meds are part of why you were able to lose and keep off weight, since untreated insulin resistance can cause weight gain (not necessarily just the other way around). But if you want to try to see if it works without them, and your doctor says no, I agree, ask for a second opinion with an endo. See if there’s one of the two to try reducing first. Worst case is, your numbers go up, and you go back on the meds.

That said, if it were me, I would probably not screw around with any of it until the COVID situation gets better. Why risk having worse glycemic control (a risk factor for COVID outcomes) during a pandemic?

If you are not experiencing lows then you are likely getting the correct dose

Thank you all! This is such simple and practical advice…really appreciate it and feel like I have some tools to move forward.