Help!

I put my OmniPod on my thigh and it horizontal on my leg this morning. 2 hours after eating breakfast it was 332 so I correct it, 2 hours later it was 334. My blood in the morning was 108 and i put too much though. if anything i thought i was going to be low. Help! This is my first week on it

Sounds like you pulled out the catheter. Replace the pod. Rick

the instructions that I was given:
If one BG reading is above 250/dl…immediately take a correction bolus. Test BG in one hr. If second BG is above 250, take correction insulin injection by syringe NOT through the pump. Change infusion set. Drink liquids (6-8 oz) with no sugar every 30 min. Test BG every 2 hrs and continue to take correctin insulin until BG reaches target. Check for and call healthcare provider if ketones are present. Call healthcare provider if BG and ketones remain elevated. Based upon your statement regarding the re-positioning of the pod…I’m assuming that you’ve dislodged the canula.

Since I hate to waste pods, I usually confirm that the catheter is out by giving my daughter a correction via an injection instead of through the pump. If her blood sugar drops from the shot, the pod is bad and you need to put a new one on. Generally, if you haven’t worn the pod for 24 hours, Insulet will replace the “bad” pod. Just call customer service. Good luck!

I agree with everyone so far…the one thing i will add is if the thigh is a new site for you, it may take up to 12 or so hours before the insulin starts to absorb fully…wait it out, take an injection (per Serena) test every hour. i also avoid putting the pod on horizontally, that (forsome reason, with me ) just never works, it seems to HAVE to be vertical. (again, I dont know if thats just me or if it is common, I’ve never heard anyone else say it, except you) (if nothing works, I would abort this pod and go with a new one, and call insulet) Good luck, and PEACE!

My 5 YO daughter’s nurse began the pod with 25% less insulin than we would have gotten with the Lantus; it took me, after going crazy for 2 weeks, looking at the My Records/insulin delivery/basal on the PDM for me to ask, why is this so much lower than the regular Lantus dose (4.5 instead of 6.5 units/day) and she said they were do afraid of lows that they start high and then do the fasts and increase the basal programming. I wish I would have known that to start. It will take the nurse some time to lower your basal rates to a decent amount.

Secondly, you need to find a body place that works well for you. the cannula can kink rather easily in my thin daughter, you need to pinch up the skin on either side of the pod while simultaneously applying a little pressure to the tip just before insertion to assure that the cannula makes contact and yet inserts into the soft skin. You need to relax too, which will be hard to do at first.

It is a rocky beginning; you just have to stick with it and see if it is right for you; we were not given all the instructions about the non-pump insulin injections; except in extreme emergencies, and in these first 2 months we have been on it, we have never done one; it is all in what you are taught. That is not to say that there haven’t been highs - there seem to be with this system random highs that are never fully explained - they are not the carb adjustment, what are they? Sleeping wrong? Who knows. You will need to change pods if you are not getting satisfactory numbers, especially if you are showing ketones; I am surprised how much it is actually seeming to be random, freakish occurances which adjust themselves within 1-2 measures, if you let the machine calculate the adjustments. It also seems much more up and down than the lantus, which is the impact of the short acting insulin. We have yet to get our first A1C to see if it is actually better or not (I suspect not, but what do I know) but hopefully over time it will be.

We also only place the pod vertically, with the cannula at the top; however, some of that is becuase her little legs can’t have one horizontally. Also, you can get double stick velcro at the fabric store and cut just little 1/8-1/4 strips and adhere the pod to the adhesive backing on the two sides with two small pieces; this will reduce the amount of jiggling the pod does, and the risk of pulling out the cannula.

I superglue the pod to the backing all the time, before I put it on. Much better holding power. Never had one rip from the adhesive pad. Rick

Thanks! I just changed the pod, I think I put it on a muscle the first time, Thanks again. :slight_smile:

I can’t get the superglue to stick - it just soaks into the fabric and doesn’t adhere to the pod - how do you do it?

I use the superglue with the brush and it always works.