Hospitals trying to kill diabetic with diet

is anyone familiar with the sample letter to the hospital dr. bernstein includes in his book? has anyone ever tried to use it?

I’ve had to order nurses to change from dextrose to saline. Fortunately they follows my order after checking with the Dr.

Yeesh, I know I didn’t have that when I had my recent colonoscopy–they had me just hold it in my hand when I was put under anesthesia, but of course that’s just a day procedure not a full blown hospital stay. Can’t believe they’d make you go through this–or maybe I can…

I’ve had procedures (with a prior helath plan) and the surgeons and gas-docs loved that I could reduce my basal on my pump and thought the CGM was cool! And re: the comment aobut IV dextrose - you’d think they’d know better. That’s pretty basic. And of course I truly resent the snarky comments about my bg when they had pumped me up with dextrodse, taken away my devices, and used regular - while testing the bg only 4 times.

1 Like

Yes, it is a great proclamation. But…it is the Endo dept of my healthplan that came up with the “surrender your devices” policy. So frustrated.

When I was diagnosed I had to spend a week in hospital - holy crap- in the diabetes ward, surrounded by mainly type 2s and people with serious complications - we were given bread rolls, cheese, ham, jam and butter for breakfast and dinner and then some kind of warm lunch featuring several tons of potatoes. And everything was locked away between meals!
I never ate like that even before I was diagnosed! In the end I put my foot down, checked myself out for the afternoon, went home and made myself a huge container of chopped veggies and grated cheese, which I just cooked in the microwave for every meal.
I couldn’t believe the sort of “food” they were expecting us to eat.

1 Like

The old days where really bad but Hospitals have changed in the past few years-

I have spent many many days in a new hospital in Dallas and I order my food just like room service, and every item is listed on a printout with nutritional info and the most carbs a PWD can order for each meal is 40g…They also have low carb snacks in the food pantry on each floor, my wife is my healthcare advocate and she always takes care of my nutritional needs and makes sure my insulin needs are also met…It’s also a good idea to have a letter signed by your Endo that includes your standard insulin requirements and pump settings…keep the letter in your “bug-out bag”.

Haha! I once was in the exam room after riding my bike and when the nurse saw my low number her eyes popped out of her head and she ran out of the room closing the door behind her. I opened my bag, ate a granola bar and when the doctor walked into the room ten minutes later she said, " I hear you are having trouble with your blood sugar." I politely said, “No, I’m not. I took care of it after your nurse ran away and left me alone in a room with a closed door.” I never saw that doctor or nurse again.

3 Likes

The thing about exercise lows, too, is that they bounce back. At least that’s true in my case. I discovered long ago when I was a runner (hip arthritis put an end to that–now I ride a bike) that I need to treat them lightly if severe, and otherwise wait half an hour to see how much they come back up naturally before eating anything.

1 Like