How i would respond to someone who think bg is gross

Now I’m inflamed! What, my daughter checking her BG in public is discourteous?!?!? Get a grip, bucko!

And I agree that your analogy of checking BG with dealing with a colostomy bag is far-fetched (at best) and, quite frankly, ludicrous. Please go back to whatever dark age you came from…

1 Like

I’m not even going to respond to that if you can’t have a respectful differing opinion and can’t be tolerant of any one else’s respectfully stated thoughts on a subject.

Actually, you just did respond.

And your response to phoenixbound in which you imply that public BG testing is discourteous, along with your response to DrBB in which you call testing BG at the table in a restaurant “uncouth” are a far cry from respectful. Pot calling the kettle black…

I guess I’m just a little more straightforward with my opinions and don’t judge others under my [written] breath.

1 Like

Whatever… The OP asked what others thought about a subject. I offered honest realistic opinions. Instead of you offering anything, you just lashed out at me for doing so. This forum really isn’t what it used to be…

Like DrBB said, we don’t have to agree about everything…

And directly speaking my mind is just basic manners to me.

I’ll test just about anywhere, although these days, my sensors seem to work pretty killer most of the time so I will sometimes blow it off in public and catch up later.

At the 2012 Chicago Marathon, about 25 miles into it, I figured I ought to test as I’d missed the last wave of Gatorade but also anticipating 312 Beer at the end (13G of carbs…little did I know at that time but the Gatorade Sports Science tent also had potato chips!!) so I stopped running and, of course, the crowd, which is pretty abundant there, as it’s a nice, residential neighborhood south of the Loop all start going “c’mon, keep running you can do it, don’t stop” but they all shut up when I hauled out my meter! LOL…

1 Like

I guess I fall somewhere in the middle on the spectrum of views here. On the one hand, when I had to test regularly, I chose to do it at a table or wherever I found myself in public, instead of in bathrooms which are awkward and unsanitary places to test much of the time. But it also takes very little effort to be discrete and respectful of others. The vast majority of the time, even people I was conversing with wouldn’t notice me discretely test during a conversation. If I thought they might, I’d sometimes give them a quick heads up, especially because I’m mindful some people feel unwell or become faint at the sight of even small amounts of blood. The feelings of entitlement and righteousness about these issues some are expressing here just don’t resonate with me. I think we can exercise our rights to self-care while being respectful of others, and we serve ourselves and our communities when we do so.

there is a lot more blood in a rare steak than you will ever see on the end of one of my fingers…

2 Likes

Well said niccolo

It’s also a pretty safe bet that the steak doesn’t have any communicable diseases.

Empathy is cheap. You should try it sometime.

But seriously, it’s easy to work ourselves up into a self-righteous lather here on the anonymous interwebs. I’m guessing most of us are much nicer people in person. And on that note, I hereby apologize for trolling a little in the post above… :smile:

it’s a safe bet 1) I have no communicable diseases, and that 2) there is no way that when I test, that you could get any (assuming for the sake of argument that I had ANY) by watching me test my bg’s, so WHAT IS YOUR POINT?

Also, ever heard of mad cow disease? animals CAN transmit all sorts of diseases. I won’t list them all, as the list is quite extensive. but you sleep tight, knowing that you didn’t catch anything from little ole me.

You have a 100% greater chance of getting hepatitis from your server of a steak than of getting ANYTHING from me, by simply WATCHING me test my blood. If you got a TRANSFUSION from me, you STILL would not get any sort of disease.

1 Like

it takes a bit more of a cheap shot to get me to respond (I’m alluding to your “…you should try it sometime” post.)

phoenixbound, you took the words right out of my mouth. Thank you!

As a physician, I’d worry a lot more about that rare steak than I ever would about the tiny amount of blood utilized by any PWD during testing, even if they were HIV positive.

1 Like

It’s not a safe bet for any stranger around you to bet that, just like it wouldn’t be for you to make that bet of any other stranger. Even your own doctor who is privy to all of your medical data wouldn’t allow themselves to be in contact in a sterile exam room with your blood without themselves wearing gloves— so yes, by testing in public I would say that you are in fact getting small amounts of blood on virtually everything you touch afterward and therefore putting strangers at an elevated potential risk whether you have any diseases or not.

So everyone is supposed to accept at face value that the blood of every other human they encounter is perfectly safe to be in contact with? Boy I’ll have to explain to emergency room staffs everywhere how ridiculous they’re being.

The point is, the entire debate can be avoided by just being discreet or doing it in private.

By the way here in the USA we have protocols for ensuring beef is safe to serve and disease free… We have no such assurances of the person who touched the chair before me at a restaurant, or the doorknob, etc.

Besides which, how does WATCHING someone test in public translate to getting a disease unless the tester and the watcher are getting VERY INTIMATE? :slight_smile:

1 Like

OH MY GOD. You are so wrong I have GOT to ignore your comments in the future. your comments are what I like to call “beyond the pale”. I don’t get blood on everything…even in small amounts.

and your logic is crap. if I have no disease, there is no “elevated risk”. period.

1 Like

It only takes a molecule. And if you really don’t think that you get that much on everything you touch, well then, to put it politely, you are blatantly wrong.

I’ve grown tired of this banter with you. Go ahead do whatever you want to do, make everyone around you uncomfortable for the rest of your life, I’m sure you can assure them as you have me that you in fact have no diseases and they will welcome seeing your blood at the dinner table from that point on.