How long till levels balance out?

So I’ve just started my new regime, basal bolus, and i wanted to know how long it took people’s levels to balance out and go right after changing from a mix/ 2 injection a day to basal bolus?

So you were on 2 a day injections and then switched to a longer acting basal insulin, or did I read that wrong?

As always the key will be finding the right doses since you are going to a completely different type of regimen. I don’t know if you have yet figured out your I:C ratio, so that is something else you will have to play with. I would start by getting the basal right, by making small changes and leaving them for a couple or three days until you see how they work. So the answer is, when you find the right doses, then your blood sugars will be in target. (Most of the time anyway!)

Zoe is on the money!

Read “Think Like a Pancreas; A Practical Guide to Managing Diabetes with Insulin” to help you understand how it all works together. Before you can identify your Insulin to Carb ratio, the basal needs to be working right so that your BG remain pretty flat all day.

Does anyone else have some good starter books on Basal/Bolus regimine?

Another good book is Using Insulin by John Walsh. Very different from what you’re used to with 70/30. Once you get ratios down, it’s much better than mixtard.

If you get lows with Lantus, that’s pretty common. It’s not as level as claimed & has definite peaks. I did far better when I changed to Levemir. It’s more stable, doesn’t sting when injected & Levemir lasts 6-8 weeks. Lantus loses potency in 28 days. Another thing that improved my control was taking basal in two doses.

Along with different ratios, timing with bolus takes some experimenting. The typical guideline is injecting rapid acting 15 minutes before meals, but you may find that other timing works better for you.