How Low can you go?

how low have you all been/ and is it possible to die because of a low?
each time i go to 60 or 50 i stop everything and just focus on getting back up, am i taking it too seriously or what?

And somtimes whenever i drop so fast like from 400-70 in one hour and i ask for help and i tell them im 200(half an hour in) and i explain im dropping fast
no one helps me and i feel really sad and frustrated and dont know what to do(my glucose isnt enough and i need more from downstairs) is what im doing right or what?

There are discussions here you can search about lows & how low some of us have been.

Understand feeling sad & frustrated. It can be very scary. I hate the feeling that accompanies lows.

Yes, sadly, severe hypoglycemia can kill, but not at 50-60. You’re not taking it too seriously. Correcting lows & trying to stay at a target is important because being low often can result in hypoglycemic awareness. The body adjusts so you’re not aware of the drop.

There are things you can do, so please don’t worry.

First off, you need to know your ratio to correct highs so you don’t drop like a stone. In other words, you need to learn how many units of insulin lowers BG by how many points. Everyone is different, but there are general guidelines of 40-60 pts per 1 unit of insulin. By starting out conservatively & testing, you can can find what works for you.

How much insulin do you take to correct 400? Sorry, but also have to ask how often you’re as high as 400? Your doses of matching food to insulin aren’t right if you’re at 400. You can learn your insulin:carb ratio to prevent the highs to begin with. We all have highs & lows.

Along with knowing this, understanding how much glucose to take to fix a low is important so that you don’t over do it. Tempting to chug sugar. Again, everyone is unique. I’m super sensitive & I’m small. Just 1 gram glucose raises me 10 pts. Took a lot of testing to figure this out. It can take up to an 1 hour to see the full effects. Really hard to be patient waiting for this when we’re told the 15 minute rule.

It can be terribly overwhelming & confusing. Get the books Think Like a Pancreas & Using Insulin. They’re wonderful & will really help. Keep logs of your doses & readings to discuss with your doctor to adjust your doses.

Very important questions. Like Gerri’s response, I agree that 50 or 60 is not cause to freak out, and it is definitely something to be concerned with- but it is still in the “fixable” range. Also along the lines of Gerri’s response, knowing your ratios is very important when correcting a high and when correcting a low.

Most diabetics can feel the drop from 400-70 as if it’s dropping astronomically. Can make you wicked queesy and feel faint. I will often correct that too, to bring my BG back up to 100 at that time. Just to get rid of the nauseating feeling.

Lows
yes, you can die from severe lows.
You can seize from them, pass out, and slip into comas.
The lowest I’ve seen myself go (and still be able to function) is 19- HOWEVER when i was running that low, I was consistantly around the 60s and 70s at days at a stretch, so my body was conditioned to being in the lower ranges. It is very dangerous to be that low.
It is in records that you will slip into a coma when your BG is at 10. I’ve done this too. Very scary and something that I hope you never experience.

So, yes, be careful of lows, but don’t freak at 50 or 60. I don’t get stressed about lows until they hit the 40s, but everyone has their own comfort zones. Hope this helps.

Moodi,
What did you do to drop so fast - running, biking, swimming, too much rapid acting insulin, 2-3 glasses of wine? What?
Let’s think nice and even: Are you on a basal insulin? Let’s get your basal so it makes you nice and even all day and night. Test it out. Is it keeping you about 100-110? Something you can depend on. If that’s out of whack, Think Like a Pancreas can help you & so can your doctor.
Now, look at your bolus insulin. A bolus that will drop you that much the first hour is too high a bolus. What does 1 unit drop you? Total your bolus and basal in a day. Divide the total into 1700. The result is a close approximation of your sensitivity factor, or the mg/dl that 1 unit will drop you.
Have you also figured the amount each gram of carb increases your BS? If you’re 140 lbs, 2 grams raises you 10 mg/dl; if you’re 175 lbs, 2.5 grams raises you 10 mg/dl. If you’re at 60 mg/dl, and you weigh 140 lbs, you want to raise yourself 40 mg; take 8 gm of glucose tablets. Stop. Test in 15 min. Are you at 100? Glucose tabs do not require your digestive processes to be intact. Use them. They can be measured.
Now figure the grams you’re eating - and develop a ratio for your insulin. 1 unit for ___ grams of carb. Yes it will change - just as all carbs are not digested in equal time segments. You can get a close estimation that will not drop you 300 in an hour. And you can take half with pizza and another half two-three hours after the pizza to even it out. You can even vary the number of meals you eat to help even yourself out.
Keep us informed how it goes. I can feel your frustration and know that as you even out, you’ll feel more in control!

Hi:) thanks for your info im in great control but this used to happen to me before
ive never heard about this insulin sensitivty thing but i will try it out
and my father is going to the bookstore now to get me think like a pancrease
nowadays i go as low as 80 and high as 180
im very athletic and ive never drank alchohol in my life i dont even know what it tastes like:P
thanks lots about all your info man:D

:frowning:

but doesnt the pump make you go low easier considering its always putting in rapid insulin all the time even when you sleep
or what if the tube was stuck or maybe it malfunctions and gives you tooooo much?

you kinda reassured me
i have a pump its called the accu-check spirit
my dads best friend gave it to me as he works with the company and sent someone to help me train with it as i was
first diagnosed.
after some time i read about all these pump horror stories online and all that junk
im really looking into it now i will add u as a frend and keep u updated about my progress
u just helped me make a big change in my life:P
take care

No, but she will in 2 weeks
im still on MDI but i already have the pump its just lying around in the store room
ive ordered think like a pancrease and ill look that book up too

P.s= whats the worst hypo/hyper youve ever had with your pump?

Have been as low as in the 20’s = problems thinking, walking and talking. Try to avoid…and w/ pump, CGMS, etc. it is much less likely. I usually hover around 70’s if I am taking care of myself and keeping on top of changing basals, etc. Hardest time for me was in my 20’s when life was changing constantly, stress, and limited technology available to tailor my insulin. With pump, CGMS and reasonable carbs I have really consistant/predictable blood sugars. I hardly ever have rapid drops. Less highs mean less need for large doses, which means less risk of rapid/unpredictable drops. Just some thoughts of what has worked for me…we all are a little different. Good luck to you.

I usually don’t drop low. i have hyper glucemia. but i also have hypo too.
i cant tell im low until its below 50. You aren’t over reacting or anything. What i do is i eat 15 grams of carbs and if it is still low after 15 minutes then i repeat. I know how you feel though. When im high (lol) and then drop durastically i begin to feel like crap. Im always here for you if you need someone to talk too :DD
hit me up anytime. I know how frustrating all this can be. && it totally sucks.
oh and btw im not sure if you can die from going to low but you sure can slip into a diabetic coma. One of my diabetic friends dropped to 20 one night and slipped into a coma. she came out of it a few days later. But still its a scary thought.

A low that is too low is a way to die from heart failure. By the way it leaves no trace, just heart failure. Avoiding lows should always be a priority. Although, I have to admit that I let it take a back seat sometimes, which is not a good habit. The challenge is that you have to learn how to predict the low, with activity, food, bolus, background insulin, health and etc to consider 24/7. Oh yea, that T1D. You may benefit from using a CGM for a while if you can get one.

thanks xxx :slight_smile: