How many days can we use APIDRA?

The company says the Apidra Solostar pen should be used within 28 days after opening. I use only 5 units in a day and at the rate it will last for 55 days. If I were to use it only for 28 days I have to disposed the half used pen.

Any thoughts ??

Kriss

28 days - yes, you need to dispose of it half used. They Do NOT guarantee the potency of the insulin after this. I am in the same boat! That is primarily why I switched to a pen after requiring less sinsulin, so I didn’t waste an entire vial every month (pens have 300 units wehreas the vials have 1000 or 1500 units). I am sure that people have stretched this time frame though. I wouldn’t take a chance though. I even asked if I could keep it in the refrigerator to extend the life, but they told me once it is opened, to dispose of the remaining past 28 days.

Also your not supposed to store apidra or lantus in the fridge after it’s opened. 28 days and then off to the trash. I waste a lot of insulin…

Lantus & Apidra can be refigerated after opening, but it’s not needed. I keep mine refigerated all the time.

All present day insulin doesn’t have to be stored in fridge after opening but I do. It’s a habit I acquired when it was mandatory to refridgate animal insulin.

It is advisable to store your insulin in an unlit fridge to keep it as fresh as possible. In order to properly check that you have an unlit fridge, you need to clean out your fridge, remove the shelves and climb in while someone closes the door. If the light goes out, then you are ok.

ps. Don’t forget to remove yourself from the fridge after the light test.

pps. More seriously, it basal insulins are the most senstive to light.

http://products.sanofi-aventis.us/lantus/lantus.html#section-15

16.2 Storage
LANTUS should not be stored in the freezer and should not be allowed to freeze. Discard LANTUS if it has been frozen.
Unopened Vial/Cartridge system/SoloStar disposable insulin device:
Unopened LANTUS vials, cartridge systems and SoloStar device should be stored in a refrigerator, 36°F – 46°F (2°C – 8°C). Discard after the expiration date.
Open (In-Use) Vial:
Vials must be discarded 28 days after being opened. If refrigeration is not possible, the open vial can be kept unrefrigerated for up to 28 days away from direct heat and light, as long as the temperature is not greater than 86°F (30°C).
Open (In-Use) Cartridge system:
The opened (in-use) cartridge system in OptiClik should NOT be refrigerated but should be kept at room temperature (below 86°F [30°C]) away from direct heat and light. The opened (in-use) cartridge system in OptiClik must be discarded 28 days after being opened. Do not store OptiClik , with or without cartridge system, in a refrigerator at any time.
Open (In-Use) SoloStar disposable insulin device:
The opened (in-use) SoloStar should NOT be refrigerated but should be kept at room temperature (below 86°F [30°C]) away from direct heat and light. The opened (in-use) SoloStar device must be discarded 28 days after being opened.
These storage conditions are summarized in the following table:
Not in-use (unopened)

Refrigerated Not in-use (unopened)

Room Temperature In-use
(opened)

(See Temperature Below)
10 mL Vial Until expiration date 28 days 28 days
Refrigerated or room temperature
3 mL Cartridge system Until expiration date 28 days 28 days
Refrigerated or room temperature
3 mL Cartridge system inserted into OptiClik® 28 days
Room temperature only (Do not refrigerate)
3 mL SoloStar® disposable insulin device Until expiration date 28 days 28 days
Room temperature only
(Do not refrigerate)