How Much Should BG Rise From Glucagon?

You're so right Sue, I've had that thought about being asleep. It's a good thing your poor husband woke up! How frightening to wake up in the ER or with paramedics over you. I'm glad you made it through ok!

Right before it happened I had just eaten several jelly beans because I was trending on the low side slowly and I was really tired and sleepy and thought about laying down for a minute. Thankfully I didn't. I ended up staying up until about 1 a.m. that night just to make sure I was going to make it through the rest of the night.

I once took my Novalog thinking it was my Lantus (late at night, just didn't pay attention -will never happen again). My experience was similar to yours except I was taking about 50 units of Lantus so I took that much Novalog and woke up to the paramedics. Any chance you took the wrong insulin?

Hi flightconn, wow 50 units! I used to take 50 and am now down to 29 due to hormones changing. If I had taken 50 I would have been down for the count. I am positive that I did not take the wrong insulin only because this dose was the end of a vial so I took the empty vial and set it on the counter to remember to replace it. I really think I either hit a blood vessel or it was bad timing to take Lantus while trending low (and maybe heading into a mild hypo) and delaying dinner. Hindsight I should have eaten dinner since I was trending low already and then taken the Lantus. It's a shame we all have to learn such lessons the really scary way :)

The story's are scary. Was with John yesterday and on the computer didn't pay attention to much to what my son was doing and his wife. I remember hearing john ask his wife to get the Novolog. Didn't think much of it. Got ready to leave about 3o minutes after that for doctors. I asked john did he have his diabetes stuff together to leave he said yah and was short tempered with me. I asked if he has his insulin and he said yah I took some of Lantus because I'm not eating much. I about freaked. He took both within 30 minutes of each other. We had to chase the sugar the rest of the day/evening. One thing I would like to have people aware of is when a Diabetic has a sudden mood swing and may have a BIG Attitude! Don't leave them alone there is more to it. Its not that they just want to be Mean or argue. I find with john it is always a sugar drop. I even get frustrated but I try to get him to check his number and help him fix the issue. Trying to teach his lovely Wife April this. They are young and only married 6 months so this can be tough.Keeping the Faith even in hard times.

Both April and John might want to come on here, angelic. John can learn more about his diabetes management and April will be able to relate to other Type 1 family members and understand more about John's blood sugar and how to support him.

Angelic, thanks for posting that. When I was a teenager I was really grumpy with my mom. Told her to F off and that's something I never ever did. Was yelling at her and she just gave me some juice and a cookie. Later when I was feeling better I apologized for yelling and swearing at her and she understood that it was the low - not me.

As an adult now I can understand it would be difficult for parents of teens - they are moody on a regular basis.

Now that I'm married my husband can see when I'm getting low. He says I get really pale. Don't worry about April - she will figure it out. Hopefully she understands diabetes a little bit.