How Often Do You Change Your Set

I appreciate that all diabetics have different results under different conditions but I spoke from personal experience, I have had insulin go bad after 24 hrs in 40 plus deg c, in France where I live, whether fiasp insulin makes a difference I am not sure, I have been on a pump for about 8 years and 33 years diabetic. So I am not a Newby, to change the subject I think I noticed you where intrested in the Dana rs pump that has open loop potential which I am very interested in for my next pump next year presently on medtronic 640g hope to hear from you again.

I donā€™t want to veer too far off-topic here, but yes, I am interested in the Dana RS pump and using it in a hybrid closed loop system. I currently use an out of warranty Medtronic pump, so the responsibility of any pump failure falls on me. The appeal of a pump like the Dana RS is that any pump failure could be addressed with manufacturer support.

At this time, Iā€™m enjoying solid performance from an old Med-T pump (MM 722) and I keep another pump of similar vintage as a backup.

I think automated insulin dosing systems are the future of diabetes treatment as well as great current performers for us early adopters. Good luck with selecting your next pump next year.

I try to do it twice a week - so it is on the same days each week (Monday morning and Thursday evening) - so about 3.5 days. I have gone 4 days at times, no problems so far.

Great idea to change infusion sets but not the pump cartridge. I always hate throwing out good insulin just because it is time for a infulsion set change.

i have 300 and change it every 3 days.

i have just been put on mine so u should get it?

What province are you living in @popsicle ?

every 3 days,how about u?

plymouth,england.

I use relatively little insulin (and used to use even less in the first 10ish years after diagnosis) so even the small 1.8U Medtronic reservoirs last me about a week. Almost all the time I change my sites when the reservoirs runs out, so 7 days, without any notable downsides. Every once in a while I might notice more highs after the 5th-6th day and might change the site then, although I am not even convinced itā€™s always site-related.

1 Like

hey @Terry4, for those sites where you think scar tissue has formed, did it ever go away over time?

Terry, do you mind me asking why are you back on your out of warranty Medtronic pump? Have you been on the Tandemx2?

I use the MM 722 as part of Loop. The newer Medtronic pumps are locked down and secured such that they canā€™t be used as part of an open-source do-it-yourself system like Loop.

Yes, I was able to rehabilitate may abdomen so that I could use it again.

1 Like

Thanks.
How long did it take before they were able to be used again?

How did you rehabilitate your abdomen just time or any other method.

Itā€™s been many years since I did this and my memory is not the best. My best guess is about 1-2 years of not using it at all. Iā€™m now into my second month or so of trying to give my abdomen a rest again.

I appealed to my doctor to order a course of physical therapy for my abdomen. The therapists used massage, heat, cold, ultrasound, and something called a ā€œtensā€ unit. This went on for about six weeks.

I now use this hand-tool to regularly massage my abdomen. I concentrate on any spots that feel tender, painful or just ā€œknottyā€ to the touch.

1 Like

That is a funny looking hand tool but if it works that is great.

I rested my abdomen for 3 months and wore compression shirts to deal with puffiness and scarringā€¦ I was not absorbing insulin anymore. It was grueling and the shirts were hella uncomfortable. But it worked. And the hard spots went away and puffiness is gone.
I stick to my hips and butt more now however my abdomen works fine now, I just rest it a lot more in between.
I keep my sets in 2-3 days. The scarring intensifies if I try to go longer. When itā€™s hot I change every day to avoid insulin going bad. But itā€™s cooling off now.