How soon after meal do you workout?

No, I know I’m enjoying a rare (and probably not permanent) stay. Even this morning my BG is getting a bit out of whack, not sure what’s going on yet. I’m more curious about why some doctors suggest not doing vigorous exercise under 100mg/dL. I’ve been asked not to Bike at all (I was going low about half an hour in), but haven’t been counseled to avoid exercise otherwise.

Generally speaking, you’ll find many doctors are very fearful of hypos. They will usually advise the most cautious plan. Hypos deserve due respect, but you do have to live in the real world, too. When I bicycled a lot I always carried some liquid glucose with me, like gatorade. I didn’t let it stop me from cycling. Just look at it like a puzzle that needs to be solved.

1 Like

I’m looking for that puzzle solution right now! Unfortunately, if I use any kind of glucose/dextrose/sucrose, I tend to go really high (even while biking) within just a few minutes. So I figured I’d take the advice (at least temporarily) and stick to walking until the docs figure out what is going on with my high and low BGs. Right now, eating borderline no-carbs and working on strength training while walking a lot is working pretty well. Went weirdly high this morning, but generally doing OK.

I look forward to figuring out how to bike (and run, and hike) safely, hopefully can figure that stuff out in the next few months. Although by that time it’ll be plowing through snow rather than biking around here :slight_smile:

No worry. You have the rest of your life to figure this out. And you will!

By the way, I know that hard exertion anaerobic exercise will drive BGs higher.