How to deal with depression

How did every one deal with depression when they were diagnosed and did it get worse 1 year later?

It took a while, I was depressed and ashamed, although I think my diagnosis was due to genetics rather than eating to excess and not exercising. When I discovered low carb eating the depression gradually faded away. This was way less than a year after diagnosis. I am a firm believer in the new theory that cutting back on carbs reduces depression.

Personally, i treat my depression with exercise, and being surrounded by things and people that are positive. For my case, my dogs keep me sane! lol
Positive and motivating vibes are key!
Its easier said than done but its helping me. Im 32 and had triple bypass a year ago, depression has hit me hard but you need to stay active!

2 Likes

I think almost everyone would benefit from seeing a therapist when diagnosed/as they are dealing with the stress of learning how to manage diabetes. It’s a tremendous stressor and one it’s entirely reasonable to need assistance coping with. I recognize that’s often not feasible for people, but if it is, I highly recommend it. My family and I worked with a psychologist with specific training in diabetes when I was diagnosed and at points in my adolescence, and she was a tremendous help.

Here is a good post to read, hope it helps!

https://beyondtype1.org/depression-and-its-relationship-to-type-1/

I feel better about living with Type I with each year that goes by and it has been 36 years for me.
First, I thought about my options, and living with Type I diabetes was far better than the alternative.
2. For me, taking charge of my diabetes instead of the diabetes being in charge of me, is crucial. That’s how I cope. I try for the best control possible and it has paid off. I have not developed a single complication despite the 36 years.
3. I also found the best available endocrinologist, even though I have to drive a bit further from my home to see her. I see her every 3-4 months and those regular appointments provide incentive to stick with my plan.
4. I stay on top of new developments in diabetes control. I began using an insulin pump 4 years after my diabetes began, when insulin pumps where just beginning to be marketed.
5. My insulin pump helps enormously with control, but even more important, it provides me with much more flexibility over diet and exercise in daily life. The pump is also a big psychological boost because it gives ME more power over my diabetes instead of vice versa.
6. I have been using CGM (Continuose Glucose Monitoring) since November and can’t believe I lived all those years without it. Again, it provides much more flexibility and gives me even more control over my diabetes. I was testing my blood sugar as often as 10 times a day and it’s nice not to have to go through the testing routine over and over, often in public places.
7. Years ago when I felt like eating sugary foods, I would imagine leaving my children as orphans (I know, a bit over the top!) or my family having to deal with me going blind or having other serious complications. That sense of selfishness and guilt made it much easier to refuse that piece of cake or candy or general overeating. Now, the diet has just become what I eat and there are far fewer cravings for foods to be avoided. Being on special diets of one sort or another has become much more common these days and you won’t feel like the only person who has to watch what they eat.
8. My strongest recommendation is to be in charge of your diabetes. That sense of empowerment reduces feelings of depression and makes living with diabetes much easier.
9. Nobody ever said life is fair and we have to live with what life gives us, good or bad. Make diabetes part of who you are and do the best you can.
10. As you learn more about your own diabetes, because everyone’s is different, you will feel better because you are re-taking control of your life.

I hope these examples may help you or other readers. Remember, we’re all in this together and it’s good to lean on one another!

I think everyone has passed through the period of depression when faced diabetes. I think the best way to overcome it is to understand that you are not the one with this problem and that consulting a doctor and doing everything prescribed is the best way to do first. Also, you need to realize that although it tremendously affects a lifestyle, you can cope with everything with the help of family, friends and doctors. Here is a good article about how to get past depression. I think that the best way is to do what you really love, exercise, work, so everything that makes you forget about depression.

1 Like

Diabetes at first wasn’t as difficult to deal with. My depression occurred maybe 10 years after I was initially diagnosed. That was tough. And it took a few years. Twenty years later I’m a little depressed I think. I think depression has to also do with the people that are around you or maybe the lack there of which always seems to be the case with me when I get depressed. It’s usually from a lack of interaction or contact.