How to stay calm during a low and how often do you have one

During a serious low I don't think I could focus on a show, or for that matter enjoy one. But I suppose it depends how low you are and what sort of hypo symptoms you get.

When you say freaked out, what are we talking about exactly?

Lows happen, period.

There is a huge difference between hysterical panic, and simple, basic fear which idea better describes your mental state? Fear, worry is just fine. Fear will HELP try and prevent such events from becoming habitual. With greater experience, you will not panic, any more than an ER doctor, a paramedic does. It gets set aside. Most of your brains higher functions are not working regardless, because they are literally missing the necessary sugar required to function.

There is nothing wrong with fear (small f type) truly.

Let's also remember that lows generate a fear/anxiety/activation physiological response, i.e. the chemicals your body circulates in response to a low inevitable create these feelings. Coupled with impairment of higher brain function, it's a pretty easy path toward varying degrees of freaking out. But as a Buddhist might put it, you don't have to be the fear, and with experience you can learn to observe it, but not overreact to it.

Great response Stuart and helpful for newbies. I felt worse after I actually saw the numbers during my last low, I didn’t panic, just treated it but after the fact it bothered me. I’ll look at it differently, “lows happen, period” and we can use the fear to inspire us to manage our blood glucose even better…plus remind ourselves that we know what to do when they happen and are capable of handling it:)

When I'm at home, the most helpful thing is to use a kitchen timer, I eat something, set it for 25 minutes or so and simply wait for the beep. I sometimes will check IOB and maybe eat something if there's a bunch of insulin cooking but using the timer has a nicely calming effect. I think I used to get more whacked out years ago but these days I can be pretty calm. It's more of a bother because I feel like I'm not as sharp if I'm frying.

If you are like me (in the past and just recently) I suffer anxiety or panic attacks. When I am on anti-anxiety medicine I am usually able to handle lows, But when I am not, the lows can darn near cause a heart attack sometimes. So first of all if you are as anxious as I have been in the past consider talking to a dr about stress/anxiety/panic. PWD suffer long term stress on their adrenals which makes you more selectable to anxiety. 2nd it always helps if you can have someone all hours of the night to let them know you are very low. Have them call back to check on you in an hour or so even if they can not come over. Sometimes just knowing someone will be checking on you helps.

Yeah, guys, been there.

Gotta say, though, when you finally get back in the 80s/90s and the hormones calm down, it sure feels good.

"Diabetic Buddhism"

Love the idea.... who's got the shinai -wg-

Thank you.

Loosing the ability to stand, our time is better spent treating, then, then testing if someone must. I have no need for such "proof" or validation. Gently but treat.

Low enough that the CAT can/will have a conversation with ME, think treating is the right focus, not the testing "proof". Experience is a cranky teacher, wish she were more gentle.

Don't remember where precisely, think I saw an article about Diabetes & Anxiety Attacks.... see if I can find it. BDI maybe?

I agree with you that our attention while low should focus on treatment rather than actual BG status.

I need that feedback, however. Every once in a while I experience a hard-charging low that requires repeated treatments to tame. If I don’t monitor the number, then the low wins. I won’t let that happen!

I am bemused by your coloring your experience, or Life, as female. It reminds me of the world-wide convention of referring to boats as female.

Good question. I had to make sure that I knew what my low number was....I feel lows but not highs....so when my numbers would be under 80,,,,knew it was time to DO something....do you know what to do when you go low? Are you sure you have the proper things with you for treating those lows? Do you have a medi alert bracelet or necklace and info in your wallet to tell people what to do if you can't tell them yourself? Being in control BEFORE the situation arises, makes me feel more in control when I do have lows. What parts make you freak out, and what can you do to eliminate or handle those?

--I am bemused

Smiling briefly, with a quick nod in response

I don't usually panic when my BG goes low, but on occasion I do. When I do, I repeat a mantra in my mind to calm myself down and stay focused on getting some quick carbs. Sometimes it's just a word with a pleasant and calm association, like "flower", and sometimes a phrase, like "I'll be fine". For me it really helps.

Like many others here, I don't feel my lows. That was the primary reason in my getting a Dexcom CGM.
Over the years, I have developed a bit of a system to help me when my sugar has bombed.
I will immediately treat with some juice measured at 4oz. Type of juice doesn't really make a huge difference since the majority come in around 28-32g carb, so a half serving.
I suppose this is in line with the 15/15 rule though it is unintentional.
Then I make myself a snack with a known carb number and that I have experience with in knowing how it will affect me. Most typically, a sandwich.
So, half a glass of juice and a sandwich (usually about 36g carb including bread) and then I measure IOB, BG and Carb to dose for it.
The proteins from the meat and cheese along with the carbs from the bread tend to not spike me and keep me on an even keel for a couple hours without the massively sick feeling from over treating a low.

I hope this helps a bit. I know it can be scary, but as long as you keep your head and think to yourself about what is happening and what you need to do to fix it, it gets easier to deal with. For me, having this routine helps both in allowing me to keep calm and to treat without overdoing it and feeling sick after.

I know your new, but do you have people around you that you trust can recognize symptoms of low bs in you before you get to, like, 30? Sometime a little teamwork can make me feel less freaked out (when I'm having frequent lows). P.S. Some of my friends are really good at recognizing low blood glucose and dealing with me when I have low blood sugar, and some (otherwise really good people) are not good at it. Some people panic, which makes me panic, which makes the whole event 100% more difficult. I think the smartest thing they can do, for me, is to say nothing, put a candy bar next to me, and walk away. If they come back and I'm out cold, then they can always call 911.

The OP isn't new, I think she's been here since I've been here, c. 2009ish...

Oops, sorry. Thought you posted 'new to insulin,' somewhere. That must have been somebody else. My bad.