Human Genetics to Reveal Fundamental Processes Involved in T2DM

I thought this article might be of interest to you all.

Best,

1 Like

Thanks!

It was very interesting!

Best wishes,

marty1492

Now donā€™t get me wrong, this is important work. But those genes have been around for a very long time. More important, IMHOP, is figuring out why they are being triggered in epidemic proportions today.

I think part of that discussion would have to be the ā€˜Lā€™ word that everyone objects to. I thought @jojeegirl did a really nice job of explaining the big picture of what lifestyle actually means in this context, including social influences and environmental barriers in her live interview. Lifestyle doesnā€™t just mean individual bad choices (or lack of better choices) instead itā€™s also the entire shift of our society in many ways that arenā€™t beneficial to our health, and diabetes seems to be one of the best telltales of it IMO. Thank you @jojeegirl for highlighting that.

sorry still searching for real information and Individual bad choices trump all. (

I am still asking if the J supports the ADA guidelines, no answers obviously I donā€™t, not quite sure why a simple answer would not sufficeā€¦

The ā€œLā€ word may well be a factor, but this is all speculative because I have yet to see anything resembling hard data (you pays your money and you takes your choice; of opinions, that is). But I doubt profoundly that itā€™s the entire explanation. The epidemic is worldwide and the Lā€™s vary from place to place, sometimes drastically. One of the alternative suspects is environmental toxins, and thatā€™s what my money is on, at least until I do see some hard data.

1 Like

There is plenty of circumstantial evidence to satisfy my curiousityā€¦ Aboriginal Australians living aboriginal lifestyle have pretty much zero diabetesā€¦ Aboriginal Australians living ā€œmodernā€ lifestyles and eating modern diets have ultra high diabetes ratesā€¦

Iā€™d venture that you might find far fewer cases of diabetes in the NBA than youā€™ll find in a random American sample group of men of the same age and genetic profilesā€¦ But again thatā€™s just speculation not hard data.

I have no hard data that itā€™s pouring rain right now at my house, and Iā€™m not a meteorologistā€” but I can look out the window right now and it is pretty obvious to me.

@David_dns you might find the topic of social determinants of health and the social ecological theory of interest if you are looking for hard data. Determinants of health/ecology are relative to where is person is geographically.

The plural of ā€œanecdoteā€ is not ā€œevidenceā€.

There is plenty of evidence, people are just so defensive whenever it comes to the discussion that they choose to selectively ignore it or reject it. Diabetes prevalence rates are much different in Kenya that they are in California. The difference is lifestyle. Until we stop pretending that this isnā€™t reality then weā€™ll pretty much be rejecting any possibility of improving the situation as well, which is quite unfortunate.