Husband just diagnosed

Sounds like your doctor hasn’t been updated on diabetes diagnosis or treatment in a few decades and listening to him will only result in screwing up your husband’s body from those types of highs. You should demand a referral to a proper endocrinologist and if he refuses immediately dump him for a different doctor. The doctor is there for you and if he can’t take care of your needs then you need someone else.

The doctor said on Monday that if his numbers were still bad by Wednesday that he would prescribe fast acting insulin… but that didn’t happen. We haven’t been able to find an endo who will take him yet so I’m calling my GP tomorrow morning and will see if she will take him on as a patient and prescribe insulin until he can get into an endo.

My fear is that if we go rogue and he uses mine or the regular insulin from WalMart that no one will be willing to work with him. But this is crazy and he needs treatment now, not incremental basal increases over the course of weeks before they finally deign to give him fast acting insulin.

The tests keep trickling in. Two of the antibody tests came back negative (doctor didn’t say which but we are requesting a copy of the labs once they are all in) and his A1C is 10.1.

His blood sugar was 361, and I just gave him 20u of my novolog. I hate this, it is very hard to not spend all day alternating between tears and punching the wall.

You are doing the right thing, including giving him insulin to get his sugars down. Absolutely no doubt he needs insulin. Hope you make more progress with your own gp, who at least knows you know how to manage diabetes.

What a sad state of affairs. People could die waiting for treatment, and it would be passed off as stroke or heart attack and the diabetes is ignored.

Your hubby is in capable hands with you. And he can learn what he needs from you.

Are you eating low carb for now? It will lessen insulin requirements while you work on getting meds sorted.

The fear is totally understandable, but here are a couple of things to consider.

First, does anyone have to know you’re doing that? Unless he’s been dosed right before an appointment, who’s to know?

Second, as distinct from the way things have been til now, a truly responsible doctor—once you find one—will most likely recognize the insanity of the way you’ve been treated, and be on your side.

Finally, the bottom line is your husband’s well being. IMHOP that trumps anyone’s dogma. Eyes on the prize.

2 Likes

Yes, he has drastically cut his carbs and because he is feeling sick, doesn’t feel like eating anyway. I have been making him eat and drink small amounts regularly so that he doesn’t get dehydration again.

I just got an appointment today for him to see my GP (who first prescribed me insulin). It’s a 2 hour drive into Chicago but hopefully the effort will be rewarded.

4 Likes

Fingers crossed for the both of you. Good luck!

1 Like

+1.

Sometimes I call this “skin-in-the-game-authority,” one that exceeds almost all of the others. @daytona, I would do the same as you if faced with this situation. The primary moral rule for doctors is, “first do no harm.” Delaying treatment to someone in your husband’s condition does not comply with that imperative.

4 Likes

Well 4 hours of driving got us a new GP, husband liked her better although she also is refusing to prescribe fast-acting insulin for now. Everyone is worried that he’ll “go low and die” when he spends all day between 300-500.

She did say that his basal dose was so low that it was doing nothing. She calculated what it should be based on his weight and plans to increase it every 3 days until he’s at that dose.

At least she’s easier to get a hold of so that’s something? I am feeling beat down…

Getting the basal insulin tamped up properly is a good start. He may feel bad if he gets down to normal too quickly. fast acting will be on the cards.

how’s he doing today @daytona ? Many of us here are thinking of you, both of you.

2 Likes

He was over 400 late last night and has been hovering around 375 today, even after doing yard work. Couldn’t keep him off a ladder to clean out a clogged gutter, luckily it’s only a 1 story house.

Otherwise feeling nauseated and doesn’t want to eat, so I’ve put him on couch and video games rest.

He left a message with the doc saying we want fast acting to correct when high, since feeling sick in the 400s like last night sucks, even if we don’t use it before meals. I assume we won’t hear back until Monday.

So yeah, hanging in there!

It infuriates me that you have to wage this totally unnecessary fight, and many of us feel the same way. Keep hanging in! Thinking all the positive thoughts I can for you. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

the nausea is not a good sign. please check him for ketones. you can get a box of Relion ketone test strips for about 10 bucks at Walmart.

I can’t keep mine off the ladders either.

don’t forget to water him.

hugs!

2 Likes

I agree, I was also going to suggest this. Being 400 mg/dl plus nauseated is a sign of possible DKA. I would be checking ketones regularly until he isn’t running so high. This all sounds so frustrating. I hope he’s able to get the proper treatment soon.

2 Likes

He’s had urine ketones ever since we started checking last Friday. When we went the the ER they dismissed it, said only blood ketones matter and his wasn’t high.

I’ll have him check again.

If the urine ketones are large, that is a very bad sign.

also, does his breath smell weird?

if the nausea goes to vomiting, that is really really serious.

1 Like

It’s been moderate or large every day. But no one (ER or doctor) cares… Breath doesn’t smell particularly fruity, but I’ve never been good at detecting “Atkins Breath”. If he feels worse or throws up I’ll go right to the ER. Thanks!

Edit: Calling the doctor just so that if he’s feeling like crap, she’s suffering by being paged on the weekend too. :smiling_imp:

3 Likes

I just want to underline what Jen and Marie have already said. Sustained high blood glucose and nausea are serious warning signs for an elevated risk of DKA, diabetic keto-acidosis. It is nothing to toy with. In this case, it’s better to err on the side of safety.

When the ER tested blood ketones, did they give you the result, the actual number?

Sorry you and your husband must deal with a reluctant medical community. Please keep us updated.

1 Like

They said it was < 5.0 but didn’t get more specific than that.