I Dropped My D-Basket

If you haven’t seen the movie Divine Secrets of the Ya Ya Sisterhood with Sandra Bullock, there is a line in there where her character’s mother says, “I dropped my basket.” It doesn’t take much to discern that she meant she went crazy.

Well, I’d like to borrow that line and tweak it to say:

"I dropped my D-Basket."

Since my terrible low episode early this year, I had been working very diligently to keep my lows to a minimum. I have had two successful A1cs of 5.3 and 5.4 with infrequent lows. It has been an accomplishment for me, but “insulin challenged” individuals know what a juggle it is to keep all of our daily struggles and priorities in our D-Basket.

In the last week and a half I have hit some bumps in the daily routine with a daughter that has been sick with hand foot mouth disease and subsequent doctor visits, fever relapses, and now flaring up of eczema. As with anytime one of my children get sick, I have to be extra careful to stay on top of things because the sleeplessness I encounter from feverish nights can sneak up on me, even days later. This somehow…I don’t know why…makes me sensitive to insulin. Not to mention I usually get whatever they have…yes, I have gotten hand foot mouth disease and was spared the rash on my face, but my hands and feet…Ouch!!

I thought I was out of the woods, being that it’s been a week since the sleep deprivation, even slept in late Sat. and Sun. to catch up. But Monday came and I dropped my D-Basket. I tried to slowly back off my basal, but that wasn’t enough. I had to also had to adjust my carb ratio which is normally 1u:12g to 1:20.

So 5 lows later, I was on my way back to normal bgs. However, I know that soon my dosages will return to normal, but that will not come with an email notification or a tweet, but with a bout of highs.

Sorry that you lost your D-basket. But hope things work out and level off soon!