I felt a hypo!

After 10 years I felt my first HYPO!!! YAY! I was in the waiting room of my CDE yesterday when I felt strange I walked into the reception area and one of the other CDEs looked at me and ask me what was wrong. “I fell strange…” She knew I had never felt a hypo took me into a room and asked what my symptoms were. “I feel like I am about to pass out… I am cold, but feel like I am sweating(I was) and I need to lay down.” She proudly exclaimed (while getting a meter ready) “Emily I think you are feeling a low!” She checked me and sure enough I was 42. It was a proud but scary moment. After I was normal (not hypo) we called my doctor and we were ALL VERY EXCITED! Now I know what I need to look for. I am still waiting to get my CGMS training (Tricare is not being very nice about it). But I am sooooooo happy that i felt a hypo!

wow! Your first! Was it exciting?

Does that sound morbid?!
My first came with excitement - along with fear and all the usual freak out stuff, but it was good to get it out of the way! For me it was my first night on insulin - how on earth did you manage 10 years of T1 diabetes with no hypos?

It’s great that you had it in a safe place with people who know what to do :slight_smile:

Edited to add… was it your first hypo? Or the first time you FELT a hypo? I think I’m missing some back-story here!

Good thing you were in a safe place

I already said it’s good you were in a safe place, but also you now know that you can still function, if not very well, at that low level. Keep glucose tablets in your pocket or handbag. take one and you’ll feel better in 10 minutes. An energy drink works faster, but is more awkward to carry around.( and to open)
I’ve never gone that low, because Metformin doesn’t have that effect, but I’ve seen my T1 husband through loads of hypos. I have “run out of fuel” on long strenuous walks and even if I don’t feel that bad, I can’t go on. I always carry the glucose tablets in my hand bag (or backpack if I’m walking) The effect isn’t instant, but it’s fairly quick

It was the first hypo i have felt… not my first hypo…I have had many lows… and it was very exciting…

I am sick of hypos. Sorry but I get a few a week

As I said, I don’t get them,( type2 on Metformin) Are you type1? but have you tried keeping to the lowest GI in your food. it could help by smoothing out your glucose uptake. if so try reducing your insulin a little, especially if you’re going to do something strenuous. Makes for more forward thinking. I’m trying to train my type1 husband to this. Especially to reducing the insulin. I listened to the wonderful lady doctor on the Diabetes symposium website. She says most insulin users only need 1 unit of insulin to about 9 grams of carbohydrate. Dr. Bernstein also has a chapter on how to ork out your own needs.
A few hypoos a week is too many and puts you in danger.

I’m sick of hypos too. I have never been able to feel them though so I usually have to receive help from others… so i was excited when i felt one

You need one of those dogs. Have you read about them?. My friend has a dog who detects her seizures and warns her.

yes i have heard of them… i just can’t afford one

I haven’t. Are they available in the UK?

If you mean the dogs.( messages are out of sequence) I think they are being trained now. I’m sure that some breeds would do this very well. the scenting breeds, like beagles might be the right ones. My friend with the seizure alert dog, has just got one of her several pet dogs which alerts her.
If you have a dog, just watch its behaviour. It might know. Then one of the companion breeds like the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, might be so sensitive to it’s human that it alerts to a coming hypo. My Italian Greyhounds just bark at passers-by and shout when the next door neighbour opens their back door. I don’t have a clue why.
Essentially you need a dog, which notices coming hypos and learns to tell its human. Yhere are some clever “helper” dogs around. Assistance dogs, which help get laundry out of the washer and pay at the supermarket check out. Onee of my neighbours has a helper dog. and hearing dogs which answer the doorbell and alert to the alarm clock

my dog knows something is up when i have a low, he stays beside me the whole time until i take something then when i feel normal he goes and lays down.