I throwing this dexcom away

Yup, sounds like a knock off is probably the best option for you.

Not so sure about that.

2 Likes

Maybe the Eversense would be better for you? The alert (when the phone app is turned off or phone is out of range) is the transmitter vibrating on your arm.

I stopped reading after you said you showed your dog…

Realize now if I had continued reading, that your dog doesn’t really care about Dexcom’s alarm system.

2 Likes

No, my dog doesn’t care about my Dexcom and its beeps, though he can smell when my BG level goes real low.

But when my Dexcom CGM was new, my dog and I were in the group ring and the judge walked down the line looking at each dog, and as he got to us, my receiver started its loud beeping notification. Not conducive to winning…. I have since learned to go to vibrate mode before entering the ring.

My view is that being a T1D should not prevent me from pretty much any activity I want to do. My sense is most people posting here have the same attitude. But I have met T1Ds who act as if their life were nearly over due to this condition, and that is not true. We just have to manage it smartly.

1 Like

I’m sorry — I meant you showed your dog the Dexcom.

Like the two of you were having a conversation about it and you said, Hey, pupper, look at this stupid Dexcom beeping at me…

It just struck me as funny that pupper would have some insights and agree that the beeping was interrupting nap time or walkies.

2 Likes

Mohe0001, oh wow can I relate to this. I am the lightest sleeper on earth, and even the vibrations wake me up. So anytime I drop below 70 or go above 130, I am awakened by my phone. Some nights I simply turn off the bluetooth before I go to bed so I can get a decent sleep.

Also, I am still pretty frustrated at the range of difference from my meter. I know 20 points is the threshold, but there’s a big difference between 55 and 75. When I treat a low based on seeing it’s 55, then end up at 200 afterwards, I don’t know. I wonder sometimes if it’s truly worth it… It would be one thing if it was consistently lower or consistently higher, but the fact that it is either one, is a little annoying. (Not to mention my insurance doesn’t cover strips since I’m on G6…but that’s a whole different rant.)

1 Like

@Sarah_K1 Try calibrating your Dexcom more. Not everyone can I think, but I get mine to usually be within 5 points. It takes a little more work the first couple of days, especially with a new sensor. But that is one thing I work at because if I’m going to trust it, I want it close to my numbers.

New sensors usually test low on me when I first put one on, unless it’s reading below 70 I leave it for a couple of hours. A couple of things to remember, too many calibrations in a row or too big of a number difference and the Dex sometimes goes into a constant loop of asking for calibrations. To stop that if it happens do the calibrations number two times in a row for a hard take of the number you want. That usually works.

I will do the first calibration and then leave it alone for a couple of hours as it has an algorithm it follows and it will work it’s way towards the original number and past it. You would think that means it would have been okay leaving it alone, but in my case no, I’ve tried that and it stays at it’s “off” numbers. The next calibration is the next morning and then a fine tune one a few hours later. You might need to do one at the end of the day too. But I will do how ever many it takes to make it fall into my 5 point range, some need more calibrations than others.

Once I get it to read within 5 points, it usually stays that accurate the whole 10 days. Every once in a while it needs another one, but that’s rare. Most of the time I am not even checking my numbers except once half way through. I keep a pretty tight range so I can tell if one seems to be off.

There’s nothing more I hate than to eat something thinking I’m going low at 70 to find I am at 105. Or it says I’m 180 and I take insulin, to find out I’m 120. So if I’m going to dose for it, I want it within 5 points.

I understand how you feel. Last night my dexcom was beeping all night every hour for lows that weren’t low. I kept recalibrating, then turned off the phone and put the receiver in another room.

1 Like

I can relate! To stop it ringing over and over on the way down from a high I’ve treated, I turn the setting up above where it is or turn high alert off. Problem is remembering to turn it back down or on later. I also schedule the high alert for 170 instead of the 140 that I use for daytime. I look at what it is when I wake up at night, which is a few times even without alarms. The best way to avoid highs and lows, however, is to stop eating completely a few hours before bed. If it’s low, take sugar pills or measure out juice, not food ! Easier said than done.

1 Like

xdrip+? im surprised no one has mentioned it and i would imagine most users have a little experience with it…xdrip allows you to snooze low alerts on your watch… you can set different snooze times for high(default is 2 hours), low(default is 30 minutes), set different ring tones for predicted low, low, high, etc, set volumes… very customizable and the low predictions is the reason i can’t use any other app

my apologies to jag1…but i second his xdrip suggestion

Yes your body your risk. I just hope for your own sake with your desire to run low blood sugars that you don’t end up with Kidney Disease. It also appears from your statement of using pens that delivers 0.1mg , that you may be able to control your levels by controlling carb. Intact alone

I just turn the Bluetooth off on my phone if it’s nighttime and I’ve taken a corrective action. The Dexcom will report the missed readings to your phone when Bluetooth is turned back on I. The morning.

I have no desire to ever run low blood sugars. Since we have the technologies available today combined with insulin and food management to maintain BG levels and A1C levels identical or near-identical to a non-diabetic, my philosophy is that engineering those 3 criteria to mimic a nondiabetic produces the least stress on the body and therefore is safest on the eyes, organs and circulatory system. This of course is only 1/3 of the equation as tightly controlling Blood sugar levels have to be done in conjunction with controlling cholesterol and atherosclerosis.

1 Like

You can alter the time period of the alarm repeating for up to 5 hours and at what range the alarm goes off except for an urgent low (55 US) 3.1 UK and elsewhere

1 Like

This is one of the main reasons I use a DIY Loop to run my Omnipod and Dexcom. I abhorred all the beeps from the PDM - BEEP your pod is going to expire, BEEP check your blood sugar 1.5 hours after a pod change, BEEP your pod is BEEP really, BEEP really, BEEP really going to expire. My target blood sugar is 85-90 day and night and Loop keeps me in that range. I don’t care that it isn’t FDA approved or sanctioned and my endo and I are in agreement. I manage my diabetes and she writes the prescriptions since I can’t do that myself. My phone is on “do not disturb” at night so the only alert I ever get is the urgent low. But since Loop is working that rarely happens. And no more beeps from the pod.

2 Likes

Are there any votes for experimenting with a Libre? I would feel comfortable trying that out if I used both Dex and Libre at the same time for some weeks.

I’m having a pretty persistent and intense allergic reaction to the Dexcom adhesive.

There’s no harm in trying out the Libre if you can gain affordable access. I’ve never used a Libre but the overall comments I’ve read about it is that it’s more affordable, definitely true if you have no insurance coverage for any CGM.

For people who must pay out of pocket for any CGM, I get the sense that the Libre is “good enough.”

I’m sure it would be interesting to wear the Dexcom and Libre sensors at the same time but I think it might be confusing as well. While the Dexcom is more accurate than the Libre, it is not the gold standard and some comparative glucose readings could lead you to poor conclusions.

Your Dexcom allergic reaction to its adhesive can be a show stopper. Have you tried spraying Flonase onto the prospective site before insertion? Have you tried using a barrier layer like the IV 3000 to keep the Dexcom adhesive off of your skin? Sorry if you’ve already tried these tactics and I’ve missed the discussion. Just thought I’d check.

I would try the Libre if I were you but I would make comparisons to a trusted fingerstick meter instead of the Dexcom. Good luck and keep us posted.

I have used a Libre’ when I have had to be off my Medtronic sensor. For me I do not like the scan feature for results. I really want them in real time and proactive. I am always glad to get back to my Medtronic sensor and transmitter.

But no harm in trying for certain. I think this coupon lets you do it for free maybe.