I want one

Likely will not be able to set it to mg/dl instead of mmol/l, which is too annoying for me to use it.

Of course this is among the most trivial of features to engineer into the device -- it always puzzles me that every meter on the planet doesn't simply have this as a configurable parameter, always.

Simplifies manufacture, inventory, etc. And serves the customer better too.

Bear in mind folks that that is an error range -- i.e. expected worst-case error.

Like a GPS receiver, it can be off by that much, sometimes is so you should rely solely on it, but in fact most of the time the number isn't at the error bounds (i.e. it's far closer to "accurate").

So many factors affect accuracy. A year+ of experience with my Dex G4 has trained me well to know when it's giving me numbers I can rely on, and when I can't so much.

If the accuracy holds up, and is reliable over the life of the sensor, I can envision going days without a fingerstick at all.

A WB sample measured with a traditional meter and strip isn't inherently more "safe" or "reliable" than this technology... it will emotions that keep us going back to test strips "just to be sure" if this thing really meets its promise.

It's just another tool, and one that may turn out to be just as good or better, in terms of the data. This tech could very well be to the strip meter what CDs were to vinyl records.

I agree, Dave. What is a "WB sample"?

Brian - Do you have a link to the EASD report? I've had a hard time finding primary sources to this meeting other than promos and meeting schedules. I did find abstracts at the Abbott site, no details. Sometimes I think that the "high priests" of diabetes research don't want to sully their reports with the eyeballs of us lowly PWDs. Maybe I'm not looking in the right places.

I liked this one even better from her blog:

The only disadvantage to having it so tucked away is that I look like Iā€™m conducting some weird test on the odour levels emitting from my armpits every time I swipe.
She does have a delightful sense of humor!

I'm the same way, Terry. I consult my G4 all day long. Several times an hour.

It's such a routine habit that I don't even notice that I did it sometimes. I actually like the little case that came with it and use it. I leave it clipped to my belt between buckle and right pocket, unsnapped and open. Reach down, press the button, see a reading.

And like you, I treat based on my G4. I'll confess that I do the majority of the time. As I've posted in other threads, I've got enough time with the instrument now that I generally know when to trust what it's telling me, and when to be suspicious. I've been burned maybe twice in the last 9 months.

Dexcom has got to be sweating some bullets over the Libre. The only thing standing in the way of Libre being serious competition is a battery.

Whole Blood.

(or White Balance... wait, this is the diabetes forum, not the Photography forum, right? :-))

Yes and that is why I always had the caveman fingerprick machine and extra strips to cross check when I saw suspicious behavior and readings.

This was critical to staying sane and reducing riots!

ha

i'll go with you, terry! :) i want one, too...badly! do we have any idea when it might come to the states?

i had to have a prescription for my dexcom

I think it is less accurate still for me than for others at times maybe because my bg can move so quickly, sometimes dropping 100 points in 15-20 minutes but it is still a life saver as you said.

That is great you're recovering from your bad patch and thanks for saying that and not implying that it's a piece of cake etc. Nine hours of 90-120 is fantastic!

I wouldn't give up dex either because this apparently doesn't have a graph and true continuous metering etc. with warnings about lows and highs. That makes life a lot less difficult and worrysome even when it messes up, once dex had the number wrong but told me I was dropping so I treated due to my symptoms and stopped what could have been a bad low. I guess nothing is going to be perfection. But I think with these two tools life would be even easier.

lol.. we should start a photo group here if there isn't one already.

Probably needed so that you could get insurance coverage

Most pump devices and cgms and their durables require an RX. My sets and reservoirs won't be sent unless my prescription is up to date. Not only for insurance purpose but because the pump company(s) is required to have a prescription on file. They would like to be sure you have a doctor knowing you are using a pump, and are able to receive any recall / problem / etc. notice. That's the .gov keeping us protected...

That's the .gov keeping us protected
I have a very different perspective.

nope, no insurance and still wanted prescription.

The manufacturer of the medical device needs an Rx to dispense in the US. And it has to be FDA approved.

That's what I said. Perspective doesn't much matter. It's not just the mfg of the device that won't distribute stuff without an RX, it's the diabetes supply houses and pharmacies. Good or Bad, that's the rules.