If money and insurance didn't matter which pump would you pick?

thanks for the reply. I see how that CGM could be a really good thing. My son did wear a CGM for the Defend-2 study before he got the infusion and will wear one again in March. It was a blind CGM, so we didn’t see any results while wearing it but we did get to see the chart later. Although his numbers are usually really good, we were able to see that after breakfast he would often go up to 200 before coming down at lunch time. Overall, he hated having that thing on. They put it on his rear and had intended on having it on the upper hip, but it ended up much lower and was unconfortable. My husband really likes the idea of him wearing one all the time for the safety aspect, but I’m not sure he will go for that.

I agree with you on this. I tend to over research things, so I’m getting a head start on this pump information. I want to know the good, bad and ugly so that I can make a good decision. I know you are trying to get a pump, which one are you leaning towards?

That is sort of a big thing for me. I got MM b/c that’s what the doctor recommended and I didn’t bother researching it very much b/c I was so jazzed about the pump but I (knock on wood) haven’t had any of the pump errors that I’ve read about the Pods? I sort of prefer the tubing as well and also like that w/ the MM, the CGM and pump are all in one unit as it’s one less gizmo to lug around. Wallet and meter in one pocket, phone in the other and pump clipped to belt and I’m good to go, no man purse needed!

Whatever other opinions are out there on the MM pump/ CGM being ‘bush league’ or whatever, I’ve been able to get good, consistent results with it. I also have found it durable as it’s survived several bike crashes, one of which knocked out a couple of teeth, ripped my lip in half and put some stitches in my chin, and also 2 years of martial arts classes, several more falls there and 1 1/2 hour Friday night classes where I’d lose 4 or 5 pounds. Mine is 3 years old and I have only had one misfired bolus and one call when it made a wierd noise while it was priming. No other problems at all. I will take reliable over a fancy screen any day of the week with a pump.

it depends on what you want out of A pump. For me tubing was not an issue and I knew I wanted a CGM so I went with the all in one of MM and love it. For me, it works. It does not get in the way. I never have to worry about forgetting it or a piece of it and not being able to bolus from it since you bolus from the pump. Every person is different and every pump is different and so everyone likes their pump for different reasons these are why I like mine. Oh and it being pink kind of helps too lol

So with the MM, there is only one insertion? It’s not an insertion for the tube in one spot and the CGM on another spot?

There two insertions but one integrated pump CGM device w/ MM. The sensor/ transmitter combo is taped up and doesn’t have any buttons or anything to play around with. Plus you need a BG meter.

The idea of being tethered to tubes has put me off for years, so I would get Omnipod or upcoming Solo. Many don’t mind the tubes and they like how small the connection is on your skin versus Omnipod which places a small lump on your skin. I sometimes read about teenagers not liking this lump especially if they wear tight clothes.

FWIW, I use the Omnipod and I am extremely satisfied with the results. I’ve experienced many of the issues that Omnipod users have complained about and I completely understand how frustrating they can be and how they would discourage someone from using the Omnipod system. After 4 months of use, however, they don’t happen frequently enough for me to have to worry about them affecting my overall BG control or shake my confidence in the system.

My biggest issue with using a pump was with the tubing. Having never used a pump, I was just too intimidated and uncomfortable with the idea of tubing. I know for many people it’s simply not an issue and for functionality it’s simply not an issue. For me, it doesn’t matter how well the pump works, the tubing is an issue. The Omnipod system was the answer. Now that I’ve been on pump therapy, compared to MDI, it’s lifechanging. At this point, unless the problems associated with Omnipod really become an issue, I will not consider changing pumps. However, if the Omnipod was no longer available, I’d probably make the switch to a traditional pump, probably an Animas because it’s waterproof, and at least give the tubing a try before I’d go back to MDI.

Maybe you could market it more effectively as ‘kick-■■■’ instead of ‘safe’? It may not work either way. Two of my high school friends has a 3 year old who was dx’ed w/ T1 at like 18 months? I don’t think they have a CGM yet as a lot of the issues involve getting a kid that age to eat anything but she is a vet so she has a pretty solid science background to keep an eye on things? I had just moved back to my hometown where they live before she was dx’ed and raved about the pump and they agreed that it was the way to go. As a guy who wears belts, I don’t have any problems whatsoever w/ the tubes. I can see how the tubeless would be interesting for people too but I am not sure how to go about engaging a 12 year old with it. I had the studies that put CGMs on people without giving them access to the data. I had a test like that when I got my CGM and was very annoyed that I didn’t get to see the report until afterwards.

That may be why I like the MM better? I have spandex running pants for winter as I don’t like baggy clothes when I turn a corner and head into a 15-20 mph wind!! I am a triple teenager…

I know of one Diabetes Educator who, together with the Endo, puts kids on a pump from the very start. Once they’re settled on a pump, they take them off for a day here and there to teach them MDI. I questioned it, and I was assured that it works perfectly fine that way.

Here is another Ping vote. I went with Animas because it is waterproof. I sent for the sample pod and thought it was huge- I did not even try it out. I have the Dexcom CGMS and having two devices doesn’t bother me. If the FDA ever approves it, Animas & Dexcom will be coming out with a combined unit. If you went with the Ping now, you would have the opportunity to upgrade when that comes out. My understanding though is that you would lose the remote to have the integrated CGMS. Animas has excellent customer service so that is a huge plus for them when it comes time to replace my pump (I have only had it since June so that will be awhile!).

Id have a demo with each of the prospective pump reps and see how they treat you and how well they explain the pump
Id also try the demo pod for the omnipod… Some people just have issues getting it to stay stuck OR have an adhesive reaction…

If money were no object. id have probably a Animas with a 315u capacity (which doesnt exist yet) with medical bluetooth (none of this RF/cable stuff)… and dexcom integration

Unfortunately it doesnt exist yet…

There are some stuff. but recent isnt a good. the FDA has been delaying pretty much everything… New Meters, New Pumps… etc…

Theres a pod replacement which might interest you as well thats supposed to be out later this year as well…

Medtronic has a replacement for the just released Revel which integrates a CGM (eh) with an autoshutoff for lows called the Veo…

Disetronic/Accu-Chek/Spirit, has the Spirit Combo… Similar idea to the Ping, but a bit in reverse… the Meter does the carb calculations and the bolusing (kinda similar to an omnipod pdm)… the pump and meter/pdm use bluetooth to connect to each other AND sync data to a computer and has a 315u cartridge… (though you can manually bolus by the side buttons)

Also theres the Medingo Solo *now owned by Disetronic/Accuchek… a bit larger but flatter than the Omnipod… but its partially reusable and has a backup bolus ON the pod… As well as supposedly a choice in cannulas avalible for it

Animas is supposed to be integrating Ping with the Dexcom this year as well…

(Disclosure I am NOT a fan of MM… Customer service was rather rude and once i went with another pump, they went BACK after me to get their pump)

The CGMS sensors may be smaller than what was used in the study – so at least have your son check them out.

I was on a tubed pump before the OmniPod was available, but I have never been tempted to switch. The tubing doesn’t bother me at all. I also felt that the OmniPod looks too bulky (like having half an egg sticking out of me). I know that they now have come out with smaller Pods for the OmniPod. Many people LOVE the pod. He should get a sample Pod and see if he would find that more comfortable. I can imagine as a teen that he might, but boys can easily stick the pump in their pockets and with the Animas PING you have a full remote that can be used as well.

In the early years, there were TONS of posts about Pod failures – maybe they have been less common now. Pump failure is always a possibility, but should be VERY rare. Check out the OmniPod group to see how often Pod failure occurs. For me, my pump has failed once in 5 years.

If I were choosing a pump today, I would choose the Animas PING. If tubing is an issue for your son, then OmniPod might be a good option. I use a Minimed pump and it is fine, but lacks a lot of the user-friendly software features that are built into other pumps. Minimed is improving (very slowly), but I still think that Animas offers as good of a physical pump with better features. I love the full remote control, food list, and that the meter is built into the remote.

Here is a website by John Walsh (author of Pumping Insulin, a book that you should definitely invest in) with lots of information about the different types of pumps.

You can contact any of the pump reps and they should be willing to show you and the son the pump. Since he will have this attached to him 24 hours a day, it would be great if he could get the features that are important to him. None of the pumps are bad, in my opinion.

Yes, there is an alarm that goes off when the pod malfunctions, and there is no risk of getting too much insulin that I know of. There are times with the pod that The alarm for pod malfuntions, is just that. If the pod gets hit and cannula comes out, you would not get an alarm, as the pod would continue to deliver insulin, it just wouldn’t be going into the skin. Sometimes, the site you are using might go “bad” and insulin doesn’t get absorbed, you discover this from checking your blood sugars. With a tubed pump, you can get a kink in the tube, or tube get disconnected. Just reasons why it is so important to stay on top of the blood sugars.

With a tubed pump, you would have some more flexibility to ‘hide’ your pump. Just run the tubing from the insertion site to where the pump is. Sometimes, the pod can get tricky. If I have my pod on my arm and put on a short sleeve shirt, there is a pod sticking to my arm. Or trying to figure out where to put it when I know I will be wearing a dress 2 days later…

Of course, I LOVE my pod. I never went with a tubed pump, as I just imagined myself getting entangled in the tubing. I love water sports, and being able to swim and shower, etc. while still hooked up to my insulin is nice.

It just comes down to personal preference. If you can look at the different pumps through a diabetes education center, not a pump salesman, you can be a little more objective. Explore the different insertion methods, choices for cannulas, remote bolusing, etc…

ON the Cgm - I did a trial with one that went with the minimed once, and it was painful! When I went running, it hurt with every bounce. The CGM was heavy enough to be pulling on my skin. I do know that there are other CGM’s out there, that I have heard do not have as rigid of an insertion point. Maybe try some other types, and locations on the body before throwing in the towel.

I have a MM Revel with CGM. I would pay for it all over again out of pocket if I had to. I love it and it works well for me. MM customer service has been excellent for me as well. O-pod wasn’t an option for me because I frequently leave the house without my cell phone, and forget about having to remember the PDM - without it no PDM, no boluses (a spare PDM is somehwere around $500). So you always have to have back up insulin and syringes with you in case I would forget my PDM, break it or misplace it. If I forget my meter now I have meters planted at work in the car, etc - so I just imput the numbers into my pump and bolus. If my pump malfunctions somehow, I can still take out the reservoir and retrieve insulin to take an injection. I love my CGM, itg has caught some impending lows that I didn’t feel. It is a real lifesaver for me. As far as the Animas, I wasn’t going after waterproofness as I take my pump off to swim, etc as my BG tanks, and I certainly don’t want to be searching the ocean floor if it comes unclipped from my bathing suit. Do I miss not having a remote to bolus - yes - but the integrated CGM far outweighs that for me.

I use an OmniPod. The best thing - and I have never worn anything else, but my Type 1 son, age 32, has explored all the options but has to wait BECAUSE OF INSURANCE and decided on the OmniPod too - is the lack of tubing. I’ve only had to have one replaced in about a year, and LOVE their customer service, too.

My endo and mother decided that I should have a pump before going off to college. Therefore, I wore a MM pump for 2 years back in the late 90’s. I hated every minute of it. It was awkward for me to be attached to something. I never got the “hang” of the infusion-site-inserter-thingy, so I wore the bent needle infusion site. Nothing says “comfy” like a needle in your gut 24-7 :slight_smile:

It was a bad choice for me because it wasn’t my choice.

Next week I am choosing the OmniPod. I, too, have read the complaints and goodness knows I’ve already seen some of the issues firsthand. However, I believe that the benefits will outweigh the problems for me. I think that any insulin therapy is a very personal choice. Good luck!!