If your parents didn’t eat healthy foods, you likely will not?

True or False ?

I’m lucky in that I learnt to eat healthy from a young age.

Having a Dietician-Nutritionist for a Mom…I too learned healthy food choices at an early age.

False. My parents eat crap. I am the black sleep of the family. I became a veg at 21 and I am still one at 40. I did this all on my own - no influence from any one.

True for me. My mother believed in healthy, whole food. We ate lots of fresh vegetables & fruit, nothing frozen or canned. We never had potato chips, candy, soda or other junk food in the house. Bread came from the bakery, not the supermarket. We had cookies, but not to excess.

False. My eating patterns are not modelled on what i grew up with.

HI ALL

Same here now it is defined by current problems

Hoss
E G M

False for me. My mother was a product of the 50s who rebelled against all the time and work their own parents spent cooking and went in for frozen and canned foods with a vengeance. My mother cooked typical American food of plain meat, vegetable and starch. I will say we didn’t go in for junk food (did they even have MacDonalds in the 50s?). My brother and I on the other hand are both foodies and like different ethnic and spicy foods. I’m a vegetarian and he eats fish but not meat.

I think like may things, there are environmental aspects that affect the outcome. We certainly learn behaviors and adapt patterns from our parents but we can also buck the patterns. The key word in your post is “likely” and i would say yes, you are more likely to follow the good or bad habits of your parents.

+1 for this. This is really a nature vs. nurture question.

I do my best to eat healthier than my folks do.

Maybe. My mom cooked healthy meals when I was a kid. It is only after her children married and moved out she went to convenience. I’ve only expanded on my mom’s cooking style, I use seasonal foods, and try my best to prepare them in the most heatlhy manner, although I do cook some amazing fried chicken. My mom keeps more junk food in the house than I do also. Not sure if this is mainly because of the diabetes, or just me not wanting all the processed stuff around.