I'm gonna be in trouble

So… I have my first endo visit in almost two years coming up in a week. I am very nervous. Because I don’t have insurance, and haven’t had it for almost two years, I can’t ever afford to go to the doctor and I definitely can’t afford to pay out of pocket for lab work and an A1C. Which is probably a good thing considering I haven’t been able to dose as well as I should as I only can afford one bottle of insulin a month. I’m sure it sounds like I’m being whiny, but I am just so tired of having to deal with this. I’ve been in school for so long and have basically no money and am barely making ends meet as it is, and then I have to have all this other crap thrown at me. I didn’t ask to be diagnosed, but it happened and I have to deal with it. You’d think there would be an easier way to go about it. But it seems that those with real medical issues are the ones who have the door slammed in their face when it comes to medical coverage and the government in general. I am very frustrated by the whole situation and really needed to vent it out. I think about it a lot and it was time to try and get some of it out. So, lets all keep our fingers crossed for next week and hope my doctor doesn’t slap me in the face for taking such horrible care of myself. :confused:

I remember being in college, newly diagnosed and not covered for anything. A female with no kids, no medical assistance of any kind. I didn’t qualify for anything as far as public medical assistance.

You have to go to the free clinics that have waiting lists 2 years long and NOT see an endo. You may be able to get free insulin from your doctor. Alot of the times they will have stock just for this purpose. Also, once I had a GP’s nurse give me a glucose monitor and test strips. What a surprise…

Your doctor probably has scads of free samples that he can give you, if need be. It’s incredible the stuff my endo has and just hands out like candy - got 2 free meters, some pen needles, a few pens - and I HAVE insurance! This was just a question of letting me try stuff before having to deal with the insurance hoops. See if he can help you out, at least in that regard. He may not be able to give you a supply of hundreds of test strips, but he can probably help you out with pens and stuff like that.

Definitely ask for samples from you doc/nurse. I load up every time I go to the doc. If you tell them you don’t have insurance they should give you a lot. Good luck! If you are interested in learning more about why our healthcare system (or lack of one!) is so messed up, check out the film Sick Around the World. http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/sickaroundtheworld/ It’s really interesting.

I had no insurance at one time and I would go to the county clinic. Look in your local directory and sign up. Where I live it was called “the gold card”. Whenever you call for a apt. you have to exaggerate your symptoms to get a quick apt. and when you do go it takes a whole day. But, I tell you it is worth it because you will walk out with prescriptions filled and all. The other option is go to the health and human services dept. where you live. I wish you the best and I hope that you are able to get what you need soon.

Lisa:

I don’t think your DR would really slap you in the face … or upside the head either. She may get angry or, if she’s worth her salt, angry at the situation you find yourself in. Just short of nationalized medicine, you may never qualify for medical insurance until you get a job and are covered under that or if you can afford to pay for your own. There are a number of new companies popping up that are offering insurance coverage now and they seem to have really fair rates. I pay $98 for Medicare B and $429 for my secondary insurance. I guess I could let it drop, but that would be plain suicide.

Josephine: just short of nationalized medicine, I see no way out of this mess. There are many, many opponents of nationalized medicine in this country. I, for one, don’t want to see a decrease in the quality of our care. I don’t want to see having to wait for months or years for what the government may classify “elective” surgery when it is most important to the individual. There has to be a happy medium for those unable to afford health insurance. I like the idea of centralized clinics (properly staffed) where you could be seen that would dispense any and all meds needed. I don’t know how to do that one and, besides, it is not within my purview to try. Maybe we ought to try to write to your Senators and Congressmen.

Lois La Rose
Milwaukee, WI

Going to some of the free clinics is a great idea. Please be pro-active with this. You are gambling with your future. It’s so easy to ignore diabetes for a long time, and then it’s too late to avoid the serious complications. You can absolutely significantly reduce all risks of long term complications, and even have a high chance of avoiding them completely by being pro-active now. Being on this site is a great start. I know the money thing, cuz when my son was diagnosed we couldn’t afford insurance. Free clinics are a great way to go, and yes, it takes a lot of time and work to get in. but it’s worth it. You’re worth it.

Lisa, Here is a discussion with many ideas about how to get diabetes supplies when you do not have insurance. Click here

I don’t have insurance either and i dread paying doc bills, but this WHAT I DO: look for docs with a sliding scale so that you can actually see the doc, find your local urgent care (preferably not charging alot), check out your local hospitals sliding scale or hcap programs (goes towards labs usually, er visits), find a local diabetic educator for strips (ask local hospital), and sign up for free insulin through the actual providers (lily cares = humalog, sanofi aventis = lantus) here’s a quick website to all possible prescription assistance applications = https://www.pparx.org/Intro.php

I don’t have any insurance either but i just received a year’s worth of insulin from sanofi-aventis (lantus) i’m also getting humalog from eli lilly co, if you need the paperwork you can download it here : http://www.pparx.org/prescription_assistance_programs/list_of_participating_programs