Injections in Classroom?

I only have experience delivering insulin at school via an insulin pump. I’m wondering what students who use MDI do at school, specifically, where they administer injections. When Caleb was little, we advocated to allow him to do his care in the classroom - finger sticking, treating lows and delivering bolus’ via pump. Are students also allowed to administer injections in the classroom? This might vary based upon the student’s age and preference. I’m particularly interested in the experiences of high school students.

Thank you.

Pennsylvania—In July 2016, Gov. Tom Wolf signed into a law a bill that allows school staff to be trained to provide routine and emergency diabetes care and lets capable students self-manage their diabetes in school settings.

Idaho—In March 2016, Gov. Butch Otter signed Association-sponsored legislation that allows capable students to self-manage their diabetes in the classroom, on school campus, and during school-sponsored activities.

Hawaii—Gov. David Ige signed into law in July 2015 a bill that allows staff to volunteer for basic diabetes care training, including giving insulin, and allows capable children to self-manage their diabetes.

Nevada—Gov. Brian Sandoval approved legislation in May 2015 to permit students to self-manage their diabetes at school. In previous years, laws were enacted to allow school personnel to volunteer to be trained to give insulin and glucagon.

Diabetes Forecast: More States Pass Safe at School Laws

4 Likes

Love it, @Tim35. You’re the man. :facepunch:t2:

1 Like

Although not MDI, my child manages their care independently in the local High School. We have a Diabetes Plan which is signed off by our Ped Endo and used as the basis to allow fully independent (anywhere / anytime) self-managed care. However we have neither an IEP nor a 504. At this point, we have not seen the need as we have been quite lucky to have a very supportive school district.

There is a “check-in” at the Nurse’s office where the students will record their pre-lunch BG and (I think?) record their lunch bolus. This is an opportunity for any Diabetic student to request additional assistance from the Nurse. My child is not new to this so is “in and out” as no additional help is required. Being on the Pump and with a Dexcom CGM on the wrist (G5 to Apple iPhone to Apple watch) makes this very quick and easy. Based on the CGM data, my child makes the independent decision whether to bolus from the Dexcom number or whether to do a traditional fingerstick.

Previously at the Middle School, there was an additional “check-in” at the Nurse’s office where the children would have their BG checked before they got on the bus to go home. The Nurse then had the opportunity to intervene if she felt it would not be safe to put the child on the bus in the given situation.

3 Likes

We shared Caleb’s dexcom data with his middle school nurse - a perpetual “check in” of sorts. I’d get a text every now and then, “have you heard from Caleb,” if I hadn’t already let her know he had dealt with an out of range bg.

1 Like

In case someone happens upon this conversation in the future with the same question, this document is useful. Page 63 addresses this specific issue.

Legal Rights of Students with Diabetes.

1 Like

Hi Lorraine. We live in Cape Town, South Africa, so our experiences may not be relevant but thought I would share anyway, just to widen the net! Kate only uses finger prick testing and pens (sigh- she is adamant she doesn’t want a cgm.) She tests and injects in class when needed (like today is cake day during the home class…) and at break. She injects into her stomach. Some classmates take a while to get used to the whole injection thing, and if they haven’t seen it before can get a bit freaked out. This is Kate’s first year of high school, and she is going to co-ed for the first time. The school environment is supportive and inclusive. There are no school nurses here, Kate has taken an open stance about her diabetes - so she doesn’t rush off to the restrooms and is happy to tell people what is going on. Some teachers are more clued up than others, and we spoke to the form head and a grade teacher at the beginning of the year. School camps are a whole other issue…!!

1 Like

Very helpful - thanks, @Wendy19!

Before starting pumping, my son didn’t correct other than at meals. He manages lows in class but persistent lows require an office visit. He would go to the office to get his lunch dose. He still goes to the office to dose for lunch and correct until I am confident he can manage on his own. He does it himself, but I like him to be supervised. That being said, his endocrinologist and I make the decisions on when and where we are comfortable with him managing. When we are confident in his self-management, we will make those changes. We go to Riley in Indianapolis and if the school refuses to follow the doctors orders, they work with the ADA to get cooperation from his school. I was informed by the ADA that he is allowed by law to carry his supplies and manage his diabetes any time, anywhere. The kids at his school don’t mind at all. Following diagnosis, I went to his class and explained to the kids what to expect and also told them if they ever saw him acting out of the ordinary to get an adult. All of the kids are eager to help in any way.

1 Like