Insulet e-mail regarding test strips?

I just got it too - and my last name is “B” so maybe they went backwards. : )

Didn’t get the email but just noticed the box of test strips I just got are the butterfly ones. I am going to have to go back and read all the postings to see what we are in store for!

I just received it yesterday. An email in the form of PodTalk magazine. Here is the link:
http://now.eloqua.com/es.asp?s=807&e=104770&elq=a8f10d72e516490a8f8712f5aabf5010

I never got an email but my supplier has been sending the new butterfly strips and they seem to be working fine. Yes they are a little bit lower. I too was doing dual tests for awhile with a Wavesense meter but the variances werent that far off. Overall I think my Omni and the new strips are just as accurate as my other meter and I do really like the new strips. With the old strips however you didnt have to force the blood in you just had to slide your finger against the side of the black circle. It would pick it up and beep. You might think that with such a small drop of blood that if you run your finger along the side you wouldnt have enough left when it finally picked it up but you do. The Abbott/Freestyle strips really do need the smallest spot of blood out of all the others on the market.

I think the FDA is being verly cautious and they need to go and get a life. In the meantime I’m gonna stick with the new strips.

I received the new strips several days ago from Liberty. I have been checking them against my very reliable One Touch Ultra. So far, the Butterfly strips consistently come in at 5-7 points lower. This is really negligible. They seem faster and require an even smaller sample than the old strips. I will be using the new strips without worry since there is always plenty of other things to worry about.

Hi guys - we just received our shipment of test strips from Aetna Mail Order and also got the “new” butterfly test strips. There are folks saying they work fine and others saying they are way off. Could this be the gen of PDM? I have the 2nd gen for my son and am wondering if those of you using the “new” strips are getting good readings because you are using 2nd gen PDM and those getting bad readings are using 1st gen PDM?

I’m trying to figure out if I really want to make 2 phone calls to customer service at Insulet and Abbott this morning or if I should just use the new ones and call it a day? I’ve heard the new test strips are backwards compatible which means that they should work on all Freestyle meters. If this is the case, the new PDM should be fine. If not, then what???

Thats’ a good question. I use the new strips with the new PDM. I haven’t noticed the readings with the new strips being terribly off, more than usual anyway.

I’m using the second generation PDM with the new strips. No problem.

Thanks!! I called Abbott today and they are going to send me some old strips for the new one’s I got through Aetna Mail Order. Apparently, once you get them, you can’t return them. I’m glad to hear that these new strips are working well. I understand that Abbott wanted to launch these new strips and that the market share of OmniPod users is small to them (compared to the hundreds of thousands of customers that are using Freestyle meters) but this is a big oops on their part. The folks at Aetna mail order actually told me to switch pumps!! Yipes! Bad PR for Insulet. Thanks Bob & FHS for your input on the new PDMs and new strips!!

I love this group!! :+)

I just wanted to put in my worth on this topic.

I just got some of the Butterfly strips and did two tests. One using the control solution and one using my blood.

I used my PDM (PDM-r) and regular strips, PDM (PDM-b) with butterfly strips and the OneTouch (OT) Ultra Mini.

Here are my results:

With Control Solution, PDM-r 101, PDM-b 100, OT 96

With blood, PDM-r 113, PDM-b 110, OT 118

I find those to be more than acceptable for me so I will happy use the Butterfly strips. So if anyone has them and is afraid to use them feel free to send them to me. I will be more than happy to pay the postage (only).

OK, I retract the previous post.

Yesterday I checked using two; my PDM with Butterflies and my normal OT.

Results:

PDM w/butterfly, 147

OT, 197

Too big of a difference so I am not using the butterflies any longer…fortunately I only had a supply of 10 of them. I wish I had the regular PDM Freestyle strips to test with me but didn’t.

Also, as a side note, I did change the setting on my PDM to 16 which is what they say can be used, although the butterflies are non-calibrating.

Just got off the phone with Abbott @ 800 527-3339. They told me what local pharmacies carry the original freestyle strips, and are sending out 400 strips along with a prepaid box to exchange the new ones my pharmacy sent me. They apparently can only do 400 (I have 1100 to exchange) without special approval. I was told to expect contact after the Thanksgiving holiday regarding the remaining 700. They were aware of the situation many of us were put in and seem to be quite accommodating.

My personal tests show that the new strips are returning results about 10% lower than the old strips in the 2nd generation meter. I’m using them & just adding 10% to the results.

The new strips really do have a 30-40 point variance. I called my pharmacy and abbott and really got nowhere. They said that they filled the prescription correctly. (which they did since abbott stupidly did not give it a new name) My simple solution is just to buy a freestyle lite meter and carry that around I guess?

Hi Rich - I called Abbott and they told me to NOT to use the butterfly strips. They said for me to send back the butterfly strips and then they will send me the regular ones. I just received a box of the regular strips and will send my butterfly strips back to them this week. I also got a 30-40 point variance and on a 4 year old - this could mean the difference between going to the hospital and not going to the hospital. On another group, an Insulet rep told someone that apparently they are coming out with a new PDM that will use the butterfly strips and until then, to use regular strips. It’s better to be safe than sorry!! This is a huge deal and I can’t believe that Abbott would assign the same serial number to these butterfly strips and the old ones. If they had at least changed the number, than the pharmacies would know what the hell we’re talking about when we call about the strips. Yikes, whoever is doing their marketing should be fired!!!