Insulin coverage on Medicare Part B … another gotcha at least at CVS

How do you get by with no co-pay? You have secondary insurance?

are you on a pump? If so how did you get to use Fiasp with it?

When you’re on Medicare AND on a pump, Medicare Part B covers pump supplies, insulin, and 80% of the cost of the pump itself. If you’re taking injections, not everything is covered (I don’t know how much, as I went on the pump many years before getting Medicare). Medicare can be a hassle: you must visit your endo every three months to keep everything covered, and they force the pharmacy to ask you when your last visit was, but they do give you great coverage.

As K_Hjalmar noted, insulin used in a pump is covered under Part B. As a partly disabled veteran, I’ll be getting all my prescription meds other than FIASP from VA Healthcare at no cost. FIASP is specifically excluded from the Tricare formulary and it’s not on the VA Formulary. So I’ll use a retail pharmacy for FIASP; Medicare will pay 80% under Part B and Tricare for Life (acts as Medicare supplement) will pay or reimburse me for the other 20%. And I don’t pay a part D premium.

I’m not quite on Medicare yet, and so will be ordering 3 months of FIASP from Canada.