Insulin intake and how much do you think is a high dosage?

I have a very good support system here at home, but nothing beats talking to people who have this disease and know what it is ike to keep constant vigil to stay on top of everything from what you eat to how high your level goes. I’m very positive about how I handle things (most of the time). I do a lot of reading about diabetes and I ask questions of my endocrinologist and of my peers. I’m fortunate that I work at home (as a medical transcriptionist and I LOVE IT) because there are some days (far and few between) that I just don’t want to be bothered. There are days I just want to be quiet, but I suspect some of that has a lot to do with how well my BS is doing (or not). Being engaged here has helped me so much. My BS this morning was 141 at 3:30 a.m. I went down to 113 before I went to the gym at 5:45 a.m. Not to shabby. It’s still hard for me to say “I have diabetes”, but I’m making progress thanks to people like you Geri. I’m feeling really happy and I think , as I said, because I went up in my dose of insulin and knowing that it is okay to do that. Has anyone else here had to go up on their insulin lately?

I am taking 130 units of Levimir at night and 40 units of Apidra 3x a day… This not only expensive, it doesn’t work very well… Did anybody see improvements in glucose control once they shifted over to the U-500 insulin? I am not on the pump yet, but looking at getting one soon.

Rock

The U-500 insulin decreases the volume of insulin you take - not necessarily the dose or amount of units you take. So, you can increase your dose of insulin without shooting up the volume of liquid you have to inject. So unless you increase the # of units you take, you will not necessarily get better glucose control.

Clee -

Just curious how you’re doing now? It’s been a few months since this post. Has your doctor put you on any type of pills (in addition to your insulin regimen) to help with your insulin resistance? I’ve heard of a lot of success with pills like Metformin which helps the body to absorb the insulin.

Also, if you are insulin resistant, having extra (un-used) insulin in the body tends to increase weight because the un-used insulin will latch onto fat cells.

I’m type 1 for 12 years and I’m just now going to be taking Metformin (though it’s mostly known for helping type 2s)

Wonder if it’s something that can help you? I know how frustrating it is to finally get a few pounds off, and then try as you might, it just creeps back on.