Insulin needs increase

Hey fellow troopers, I’m having a bad time

So my lantus was at 8 units for bed and my sugars were great now I’m up to 13 units at bed. My diabetes educator thinks I’m becoming more resistant cos I’m not creating as much insulin as before.

Anyway for about 1 week now my sugars have been sitting super high and I feel as though I will never have good sugars again and needed to vent.

I’m following with raising my lantus little by little until my sugars are better, if anyone has any advice or have been through this kinda adjustment it would mean so much to me to hear right now,

Thankyou everyone reading my rant and I hope everyone is having a good sugar day

Not sure if it is related to yours, but for me, since COVID, my insulin use has increased simply because I am less active. In my case, it has been in short-term insulin usage (Humalog), not having my daily striding to and from work, no quick trips to Starbucks, no walks at lunch, no trips to the gym, and fewer long treks around Manhattan. My Lantus use has stayed the same.

2 Likes

@Adele1, sounds typical of T1. It never remains the same and you have to adjust up, down and sideways. All kinds of variables determine what and when you adjust. That is why using a pump and/or CGM makes it easier to see the trends and react to them. Exercise, season changes, food, stress, etc., all make changes to our insulin needs.

1 Like

You need as much insulin as you need, to keep the BG in range. Are you late onset LADA? It could just be that your pancreas isn’t putting out as much.

2 Likes

Yeah I’m LADA so thanks that makes a lot of sense

1 Like

That’s good to hear I feel so isolated sometimes but everyone on here help me feel less alone, thankyou for replying

1 Like

Oh yeah that’s interesting, but I’ve actually been more active which is funny but I’m confident now it’s my body not putting out as much insulin

1 Like

8 units is a very low dosage. Sounds like you are still in your honeymoon phase. It is totally normal for your insulin needs to increase over time during that phase. Especially LADAs often experience a rather long honeymoon phase that can fade out gradually (sometimes with some bursts, that is, sudden increases in insulin needs). Once that phase is over though the needs typically remain more or less constant (some fluctuation is normal), assuming that you don’t significantly gain weight and maintain a rather stable activity level of course (since those factors affect your TDD). Some people claim that your TDD invariably increases over time, which is only true if you become more and more sedentary or develop some sort of pathological insulin resistance. The latter is informally called “double diabetes”, but it is not common.

2 Likes