Intrinsic Blood Sugar Variability

Love Sugar Surfing! Honestly, this was the book that was the game changer for me. It completely right-sized my approach and balance in terms of living and enjoying life in spite of this burdensome affliction.

2 Likes

In another thread, you say you sometimes eat Chinese food, so in fact you are not eating “exactly the same kinds of food” every day over many years. You are not eating exactly the same foods in exactly the same amounts at exactly the same times. Since you lecture, I find it difficult to believe that you take exactly the same number of steps from your car to the lecture hall, in exactly the same amount of time, at exactly the same time of day. And unless you also lecture on weekends, there’s more variability right there. So in fact where you say “exactly the same,” I see room for myriad variations. You have already said that the variations in activity in a day are “small in their impact, so they can just be discounted.” But perhaps it is all these small, easily “discounted” variations – in activity, in foods eaten, in times of eating, etc. – that explain the variable blood sugar results you find … so inexplicable.

2 Likes

My regimen of eating the exactly the same amount of the same type of food at every meal and always at the exact same time every day began ten years ago, and I stopped eating Chinese food in the early 1980s because of its unpredictable blood sugar effects. In those days I had not yet adopted my regimen of extreme uniformity, since it would have made no sense anyway before the mid-1980s, when home glucometers first became available and reliable measurements of the effects of a stable regimen on blood sugar became possible.

While it is true that I don’t lecture every day, I live near enough to the university to walk there, and on days when I don’t have a lecture I walk my dog to the university and back, so the exercise level stays pretty much the same.