Is your Diabetes management paying off?

I think he meant more like “does your organization of your blood sugars lead you to be more organized when working on a project at work?” or “has diabetes made you more analytical than you were before?”

i must be lucky or maybe it’s because i’ve been doing this for 50 years (dx’d at 8 months), but my management seems to blend seamlessly into all other aspects of my life. part of the reason is i’m very well controlled and i’ve been doing it for so long that i automatically (instinctively?) know the rhythms and requirements of my care which means i wrap it around all the other parts of my life.
i have lots of fun and variety but i also know what works so my skeds don’t vary a lot. i emphatically do not believe Ds can eat anything they want, whenever. that’s a big piece right there. i emphatically don’t believe that it limits me in anyway. that’s why i covered iraq and other wars, why i’ll run out the door (sometimes without testing) at 2 am to cover a story. it’s why i can ref six elite soccer games in a single day (25-30 miles of hard running.) it’s why i’ve never regretted having D for a single moment and why i consider myself perfectly ``normal’’ in every way relative to everybody else.
so … D has never gotten in the way of anything. like a lot of long-time diabetics, my conditions informs and colors every decision i make. but it’s more of a subconscious, instinctive response that’s been developed and perfected over many years.

Expressed so well!

I, too, often use the description “proud” to describe how I feel about my diabetes management.

I think support for and appreciation of the EFFORT we put in is crucial. Unfortunately, it’s the RESULTS (A1C number, carb grams, blah blah) that are assessed and, too often, judged.

Sometimes my extreme vocal diabetes pride gets funny looks (or comments) from people who are younger in their lifetimes with diabetes, still really angry about the diagnosis, or just plain weary of the day in, day out. What I hope they come to understand, in their own ways, is that the sense of pride is a great foundation to help deal with the inevitable ups and downs.

I’m gonna get that 50-year Joslin Diabetes Medal and I’m gonna feel good for the journey and I’m glad all you wonderful tudiabetes are–to use a motorcycle metaphor–either riding your own Hogs or sitting in the sidecar!

LOL at this because I am so not a math brain. Which makes it quite ironic that diabetes math takes up so much of my brain space!

One thing I enjoy about life is that redemption (not speaking in a religious sense, but in the sense of change) can happen at any time.

What has come before certainly colors and affects us. But it does not have to determine the future.

At various points in my life I have allowed diabetes to interfere with my goals and desires. And sometimes that “allowing” was when I failed to attend to self management. Although daily management wasn’t taking up very much of my time (cause I wasn’t checking regularly, counting carbs, whatever), it was a huge psychic and physical burden.

Love the paradox: the more attention I pay to diabetes, the less attention I have to pay!

So I’m sitting pretty happy with my life now. Will that change? Undoubtedly.

I wish I could take away, even for an hour, your 24/7 danagement (love that term). Does the thought count?

Haven’t we already decided to move into the same retirement home,wear those medals around our necks, and bore people with reminiscing about 80s tunes, Clinitest tablets, and exchanges?!

Right back at ya, friend!

…with hair flying:) and enjoying every bit of life there is to consume! I actually had a dream of getting a Harley in my 50’s and touring the US:) Do you want to join me?

Diabetes management has always been in my everyday Life although I wasn’t Good at it when I was young. Like many, I’ve been doing it for so long that it’s second nature. I’m on top of it. If I’m late for something it’s rarely due to my management of Diabetes.

For some reason, that doesn’t seem to answer your question. +)