How has diabetes impacted your life?

Diabetes has made me more aware of the fact that I don’t control the outputs: I can only focus on the inputs (food, insulin, activity, etc.) and keep a close eye on my values, to make sure no other “unknown” parameters (infections, stress) are getting in the way.

Diabetes has also taught me the value of life and taking it one day at a time. Whenever you try to have a “master plan” that will help you deal with things “for good” (whatever that means), you get a bump that reminds you that you have to be patient with yourself and that you are not perfect.

What about you? How has diabetes impacted your life? Hopefully with the contributions to this topic (written or on video, if you prefer), we can participate in this initiative as a community.

that’s a super idea, to participate in inspired by diabetes as a whole online community. i say let’s go for it!! :slight_smile:

diabetes has made me aware of what i did not do in the past, which indirectly led to me unwittingly abusing my body. eating unhealthy, not getting enough exercise - i basically didn’t show much love to my own body by doing stuff that is good for it. diagnosis has made me come to realise that i need to be good to myself in order to let my body perform at its optimum. it has also taught me how resilient and strong we as humans are mentally and emotionally. it was a mammoth task to learn how to take shots and prick fingers. it was difficult to wean myself off my sweet tooth and count carbs, and get my lazy bum to a gym or the running track. diabetes shows me how much hidden willpower has been lying dormant in me for the past 19-odd years. it shows me that through the management of this condition, i am building up not just physical well being, but mental and emotional strength too.

Diabetes has given me a voice. I’m a pretty shy and soft spoken person, but diabetes has forced me to be more aggressive. When I was in school, I learned how to successfully argue with the principal that no I really CAN’T skip lunch just because the school is on fire. When I was at the doctor’s office throwing up, I learned to tell the receptionist that yes I do have to drink this juice right now. And when someone insists that I just have a bit of the delicious ambrosia, I learned to say no thanks and to keep saying no until she got the point.

Diabetes has had many positive effects on my life. I am way more responsible than most kids my age, because I have to be. It has helped me to become extremely tolerable of pain and sickness, which isn’t always a good thing. It makes me see life and health as precious things. I don’t let Diabetes stop me from doing anything, I keep persevering. I will keep fighting until there is a cure! A cure would be so amazing. I can’t even imagine what it would be like since I don’t remember life without diabetes. Controlling diabetes is a daily struggle. What works one day doesn’t always work the next day. It can become really frustrating, and nobody else can truly understand what it is like. I try to be positive and do everything I can to help others who are also going through this and to help find a cure. I think about possibly having complications when I am older. I also worry about my blood sugar dropping during my soccer games and practices, when I’m driving, working, or hanging out with my friends. I want to be able to worry about the things that other teenage girls (without Diabetes) worry about. I can’t remember a day without finger pokes, insulin shots, infusion set changes, and the fear of possible complications. I have not had the chance to live the carefree life that every child deserves. Instead, I am tied to a routine of painful shots, infusion set changes, and finger pricks. This is not a way to spend a childhood.

It’s made me value life, no mother should ever hear “your son may die”, ever! This was told to me two months ago when he was in diabetic ketoacidosis. I’ve never cried, laughed, and hugged so much in my entire life since his diagnosis. Tony can’t really talk right now to tell me how it’s changed his life, he’s not even two, but I know he treasures what he has more too, I am always told by people after they meet him “he is the happiest child I have ever seen!”. He gives me a hug and big sloppy kiss at least every 10 minutes. I am amazed everyday that he handles his life the way he does, he doesn’t even flinch when he gets a shot and he is already trying to test himself.

old way of thinking - why me?

new way of thinking - well - somewhere along the way i gained perspective - i dont know how or when it happened but one day it hit me - if diabetes is my biggest challenge in life, i am really getting off easy. thank god i dont have cancer
thank god i had a fantastic childhood(yes even with diabetes)
thank god i have never gone to bed hungry
thank god no one ever slapped me around
thank god i do not have a severly disabled child
thank god this list could go on and on and on

Diabetes has taught me that even the smallest choices we make each day can have a large impact on ourselves and others later. It has taught me to listen. It has forced me to be really self aware and take care my needs so that I am a better friend, daughter, sister, artist etc… It has also taught me compassion towards others. You never know what silent struggles others go through. It has shown me that while life can be delicate, it is also resilient & amazing. These are things I have learned, but I also have learned that I have so much more to learn. My journey has just begun.

A week after my 18 month old son was diagnosed with diabetes, I went in his room in the morning to give him his shot. He was jumping up and down in his crib smiling and chirping, “shot, shot, shot!” At that moment I knew I should be happy that he wasn’t afraid and was adjusting to his new life, but it broke my heart to know that for the rest of his life he would have to wake up in the morning thinking about his diabetes.

I learned how resilient people can be and I learned that I will fight with every fiber of my being to help find a cure for this disease, so that one day my son can wake without a thought about blood glucose, insulin, or shots.

It has taught me that I care for other people more than I thought. That it can be a difficult disease to live with but it isn’t totally unmanagable. That it can make me feel like total and complete ■■■■. It has taught me that I have a major obsessive compulsive disorder more now… than ever.

It has made me look at numbers in a totally different light. It has made me more aware of my every day bad habits that I never noticed until I got diagnosed, like that I eat crap 24/7 and needed to get a chronic illness to eat right & exercise.

It has given me a brand new set of friends, although I would have much rather met you all some other way, I am glad that I know you all and that you are all there when I need a lending ear or “type” haha.

I would say that most people who live the serenity prayer do so because they have worked some sort of step program. I am not one of those people, but the serenity prayer has been my mantra for life ever since Samantha was diagnosed 5 years ago. Sam’s diagnosis has completely changed my perspective about life and the way I live it. I used to think that I was completely in control of my destiny, but it took something like her diagnosis for me to learn that no matter how hard you try to stay in control and make the right choices, life will always find a way of turning things upside down. This was a humbling realization and made me look at how I wanted to live my life. I still need reminders from time to time that I can’t control everything, diabetes is my reminder.

Diabetes taught me to value everyday I’m here. Thank God! I started along time ago feeling that I had to be a roll modle for my kids and show them how strong you can be. I’ve been through alot and am prepared to go through more for 1 more day of life. I have to be cause now I have a 9 month old granddaughter to show how to be strong which is something my mother and grandfather tought me to do and I intend on keeping that strong in all my desendents.

I believe in miracles. With ketoacidosis and a blood sugar over 1,000 my son survived his diagnosis. Thank you God!

i believe in miracles too. same story as your son, just with a slightly lower blood sugar of 720.

BG Diagnosis at 889…losing 180 pounds over the next 3 years because of unwatched ketoacidosis…slight reversing of neuropathy…I too believe in miracles.

What do you guys say about submitting pictures with your hands containing a word that describes how diabetes has touched you? How do you feel about being touched by diabetes?

Luis started this and I think we could totally make something gorgeous happen out of it:
http://www.tudiabetes.com/profiles/blog/show?id=583967%3ABlogPost%3A20872

Here’s my photo:

Manney,
I wiuld love to do that after I get my hair cut! Nobody wants to see me now. It won’t grow below my neck that’s why I avoid the camera as much as possable!

LOL!!!

Maybe you can just show your hand, if that sounds better. :wink:

Diabetes has given me perspective. Like so many of you, I was told my child might die. Now I don’t sweat the little things; they just don’t seem to matter that much. Diabetes taught me that it could all be gone in the blink of an eye so it’s best to enjoy the good things and learn from the bad.

Diabetes also taught me the power of family. I always knew I had great parents but the way they responded and stepped up without being asked when I needed them was incredible.

Diabetes also taught me not to plan too far into the future because things inevitably change. (I laugh at the parents who have their kid’s life planned out. I barely have a plan for tomorrow or next week!)

Diabetes has taught me that my son is one of the strongest people I know.
Diabetes has taught me that every single day is a blessing from God.
Diabetes has taught me that you only live once and should live life to the fullest.
Diabetes has taught me how to be patient.
Diabetes has taught me how to be thankful.