Job Issues

You seem to not be understanding how miniscule of a deal this is. Skip lunch today, you won’t lose any weight or starve. If your blood sugar drops significantly, eat a snack to correct it and take less basal going forward. That’s all there is to it —it’s really not a big deal… there is no other way possible to know if your basal is right. It’s not making a sacrifice of any sort, I skip meals all the time just as a result of a busy life, and sometimes I do it deliberately to make sure my basal insulin is functioning correctly… it’s really not a big dramatic thing

2 Likes

I personally know more men who are comfortable with skipping meals during work. A lot of my male co workers would eat one meal a day. If I did that I would be incredibly angry all the time. Just a difference I wanted to point out there, I’m sure there are a ton of ladies that skip meals but I’ve met more men that are comfortable with it. I honestly think I could do that for a day at a time but definately not skipping one meal each day for a week. I know my body and I would suspect to loose at least five pounds doing that.

Perhaps it would be best to only skip a particular meal every four days or so while refining your basal rates.

Potentially, after skipping a meal twice, your blood sugar may remain level both times which means no adjustment would be needed, and there would be no need to skip that meal again. Whereas you may have to skip another meal a few times because you realize an adjustment is needed, and you have to test that adjustment to determine if it’s accurate.

I’d probably just rather get it all out of the way in one week, but it sounds like spacing it out might be better for you.

I hope your basal testing goes well! It’s nice that you have a book that can help you as you refine your rates.

2 Likes

Nobody is suggesting that… skip one meal this week, maybe another next week etc. I’d be extremely angry if I didn’t know my basal was right and feel extremely vulnerable if I thought I was going to end up in a hospital if I didn’t eat at exactly the right time

I love food as much as anyone, but going through life feeling like you absolutely have to eat right now or you’re going to end up in the hospital doesn’t sound very fun…

1 Like

You may want to think of it more as postponing a meal. So at your next meal, when that basal test timeframe ends, you eat a little more to make up what you missed.

However, if you feel you have a process that works for you now, you don’t have to change it. But many prefer the flexibility that comes from having basal rates that let us vary mealtimes.

The website I linked offers consulting services for a fee, and you may want to check into that to help guide you through this the first time.

EDIT: or its possible your medical team has a CDE or pump trainer that could help. Maybe explain to them you frequently go low if you don’t eat by a certain time. If they are already aware of this, and not suggested basal changes, then explore other options.

4 Likes

Really on key points there.

Well Sam19 it’s definately not that extreme. If it was I would have definately found an alternative. As we’ve talked about I have exceptional control, eating at least three or five meals spaced out along with superior weight training just gives me even more powerful control.

The pump trainer usually is in the room with the endo or the nurse practitioner. They are a pretty close team which I do think is good. I really hate to do this but I blame a lot of the misinformation not only on the area I live in, but on the lack of endrocronoligists in the area, so like mentioned they probably know what their doing, they could quite possibly be so overwhelmed that they don’t give the patients all the info because there is such a dire need for so many people and the resources just simply aren’t available Without a great cost. (Including time, training and money)

1 Like

TuDiabetes is a multi-cultural community with members of many religious beliefs or of no religion at all. We ask that each member respect these religious differences.

While we do ask for respect we also ask that proselytizing, the imposing of one’s beliefs on others, or even the appearance of proselytizing be avoided in our forum.

2 Likes

I will also remain strong in my faith and pray against attacks thrown at me. If you would like to remove me because I’m a Christian then I will gladly accept.

I don’t think the point was to attack you because you are Christian but to create an environment where we can all discuss diabetes and related life situations that doesn’t make people of other religions uncomfortable.

I’m not religious, and I’m not offended by what you wrote. However, if I had participated in this conversation and responded to your comments, you may have perceived my responses negatively because my beliefs are incredibly different from yours. More significantly, proselytizing of any kind is not fostering a feeling of camaraderie on forums like these. I’m absolutely positive that there are many Christian forums that would highly value your comments because people seek out those forums to discuss such things.

Lots of people from all over the world here with very different religious beliefs. Boundaries are important so that everyone can feel comfortable when they participate in these discussions.

5 Likes

I’m not going to debate religion with you. It doesn’t belong on these forums in any way. If you’re uncomfortable with someone’s post, then report it. The administrators handle these sorts of situations, so I don’t know what the result would be.

1 Like

If you would like to personally message me to discuss any of my beliefs and how I have the benefit of using prayer for my protection then please feel free to do so but I don’t think it needs to be discussed here. I would love to hear your opinions.

This topic has strayed far from the original subject. We have closed this topic to further discussion.

3 Likes

You can put it back in the fridge, but it is not a good idea to continually take it out and put it back in.

Also, diabetes is not covered by the ADA, so no reasonable accomadation is required. This was decided by the Supreme Court years ago.

The most effective way to set your basal rate is to fast, as other people have commented. If you are exercising excessively then you need to check if you need to change your basal rate to avoid lows. Don’t you fast for blood tests??

Your A1C is a measure only of your average BG. It is a less than perfect measure of diabetes management. A better measure is time in range (between 180 and 75). If you are using a cgm the software calculates this statistic.

Mike
T1 diag. 1964
Pumper 25 years

Can you provide references to that? The documents I find online all say the opposite - that it is covered as a “endocrine disability”

2 Likes

I do agree with @MikeR1 that there were a number of court decisions which imposed significant restrictions on the ADA which was signed into law in July of 1990. With the various court ruling taken into account, diabetes was effectively not covered under this law. Among other things, this environment led to the signing of the ADAAA in September of 2008.

Although people often speak of the ADA, unless they are discussing it in historical terms, it is often times likely they really mean the ADAAA.

According to the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, diabetes would certainly be relevant in terms of the ADA as amended by the ADAAA.

https://www.eeoc.gov/laws/types/diabetes.cfm

Following is an interesting article describing the ADA, the problem from such and leading up to the ADAAA.

http://main.diabetes.org/dorg/PDFs/Advocacy/forecast-stories/2009-05-defeating-discrimination.pdf

2 Likes

Thanks for posting, Tim. That was very informative and interesting.