Just started back on Omnipod

I have my DIA set to 4.5 hours. It was at 4.0 hours, but I recently changed it, because my blood sugar continues to lower a bit after that.

Not only do you have to get them set right, but you have to test and change them regularly. I rarely have settings that stay the same for more than a week, because I am constantly downloading my Dexcom and looking at it and deciding if I need to make adjustments (not including temporary adjustments like temporary basal rates). It does get exhausting sometimes, but thatā€™s the fault of diabetes, not the fault of the pump.

1 Like

thanks, terry. what do you have your duration at? iā€™m just wondering if maybe the cannula (insertion and/or length) on the POD doesnā€™t work for me? Brand new bottle of novolog, changed pod and blood sugars wouldnā€™t come down all night long with increasing basal, corrections, etcā€¦Take a shot and it comes right down. So frustrated. Iā€™ve gone 5 days straight with terribly high blood sugar ever since starting on POD and using more insulin on the pump. I know itā€™s an adjustment but something doesnā€™t seem right? My Endo told me every ā€˜bodyā€™ uses and absorbs insulin differently. Those of us who are very thin or active tend to absorb insulin more quickly.

@Sarah66, that sounds frustrating! My duration of insulin action is set at five hours.

Iā€™m not a good one for pod questions. I tried it for five months a few years back and gave up due to some poorly absorbing sites and some occlusions. There are so many that get good results from it that I think itā€™s worth toughing out for a while.

Your observation that you ā€œtake a shot and it comes right downā€ suggests a poorly absorbing site. But there are so many factors that come into play. Even though youā€™ve just changed pods, perhaps trying another site might be good idea.

I had another problem with pods in that I almost always had a gap in absorption and a spike in BGs between pod changes. I had to give myself a few units of insulin to ā€œbridgeā€ from one pod to the next.

Good luck! Donā€™t give up.

Thanks, Terry. When you say youā€™d have to give insulin after POD change, was that a shot or an extra bolus with PDM. Not gonna give upā€¦thanks for the encouragement. :smile: Howā€™s Norm?

I tried various things to counteract my pod-change highs. Sometimes I would deliver a bolus with the old pod before I removed it. Sometimes Iā€™d give an extra bolus with the new pod and other times I tried using a syringe. I donā€™t remember which worked best but it puzzled me why I even needed this dose. It was as if the new site took a few hours to re-establish the basal.

I was never able to get the pod right. When I went back to the Ping I experimented with new infusion sets. Before the pod trial I used the Inset 30s (angled cannula). Back on the Ping I tried the Contact Detach (metal sets) and the Insets (90 degree 6 and 8 mm). I settled on the 6mm Inset and still use that model. The Omnipod uses an angled cannula and I wonder if for some reason my body was worn out with that set since I used the Inset 30s for many years. The whole thing is still unanswered in my mind.

Norm is doing well. Thanks for asking.

Thanks, Terry. Yeah, I think it may be the infusion sets for me too. I changed again today and now, after not eating for 8 hours since this AM and same with a bolus Iā€™m dropping all morning and afternoon. . Iā€™ve already lowered my basal rate to .30. Iā€™m so afraid to do this on my own, canā€™t even think straight. I donā€™t know. I may wait again until I can see my pump nurse. When I start to get to 80s and still dropping I get so nervous because Iā€™ve had some lows in the 30ā€™s which were terrible. This has to be, obviously, the delivery of the insulin, thusā€¦the way the PODS are delivering it (or not) and where Iā€™m able (and not able) to put them. I have such little real estate already. ugh! Glad norm is well. :slight_smile: I need a norm, still looking into that, too. My fear over this overwhelms me.

1 Like

I have my duration set to 2 hours, primarily because of the non linear quality of insulin, as @Lorraine described. I donā€™t believe I have any issues with stacking but then Iā€™m pretty new, have only been using the pod since June. My cde prescribed duration of 3 hours but I found that to be too long. She also prescribed a basal of .25 / hour which I find to be too little, most of the time. So for me, it has been trial and error over the last few months. Fortunately, I do see improvement but I do monitor my bg constantly with the Dexcom cgm. It is all very mentally and time consuming. My problem initially was that I would jump the gun as soon as I saw an arrow up or down on the cgm and react too soon. Instead, Iā€™ve learned to wait a bit to be sure there really is a trend happening before I attempt to rectify the bg. Jfyi. Iā€™m a bit like you, petite and thin and like to exercise so the pump really is the way to go esp for using temp basal rates. I have fewer lows, and fewer severe hypos since starting the pump. I wish I had started it way before. I hope you can figure out why you are getting the highs. Could your basal be too low? Can you try to increase it while carefully monitoring your bg? I guess you probably did a basal test? I know my basal drastically decreased when I went from mdi to the pod, something like a 60% decrease. But it has changed since then and now I even have multiple rates, which is something you canā€™t do with lantus. Maybe you need to have different rates as well?

1 Like

Thanks for your reply. What is your basal rate now, what do you have your target set at. I only have one basal rate right now but yes, weā€™ll be adjusting that. Iā€™m trying to stay on this but I just get scared and frustrated. How much lantus were you taking? I also test and wear a CGM. I never treat anything off my CGM, always test first. IDK, this just takes work. :smile: Also, where are your wearing your PODS? THANKS!

I have multiple basal rates. They very from .25 during the day to .75 in the evening when I have sudden increase in bg. Overnight I also have a few rates, from .35 to .50. Iā€™m still working on the overnight ones though. My lantas was 13 units which I took at 9pm. I wear the pod on the back of my arms and on each side of my back waiste line. I try to rotate 3 times on each arm and once on each back waist side. The pod is actually less invasive for me than the dexcom.

Oh, my target range is 60-140. This week Iā€™ve been 87% in target per cgm. But the cgm can be off by as much as 30% for me so that range will be off too! Yes, I agree, I use a fingerstick, too. Whenever I have not, I paid a price. Sometimes I get too anxious though and will go ahead and treat a low without confirming. That has caused problems so I try to force myself to do a fingerstick first. Last night was actually the first time I had a problem with a pod. I had the same issue you are experiencing. My bg started to go high about 10pm. The cgm said 107 but my fingerstick showed 207! I took a correction and nothing happened. I ended up removing the pod, two days early, at 2am. And immediately my bg began to go down on the new pod. I donā€™t know what happened.

I just found the following link on Google while I was searching for Omnipodā€™s customer support telephone number to call about my failing pod last night.

http://omnipoddefectresourcecenter.com/

This site is hosted by the attorney of the class action lawsuit, so it is biased. In any case, apparently the FDA did issue a warning to Insulet for releasing known faulty omnipods. Maybe one of us are using them:(

http://www.fda.gov/ICECI/EnforcementActions/WarningLetters/2015/ucm451037.htm

Here is a list of the recalled pods:
http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm460169.htm

Wow, your target is 60? I have my CGM set at 80ā€¦if Iā€™m buzzing and going down at 80, Iā€™m already, probably in the 60sā€™. I could never be stable on a 60 or even 70. Iā€™m done with the PODS. I saw my Endo Tuesday and she said her experience is that at least one pod will go bad within the monthly supplies, and probably more. It makes no sense. I could not get my blood sugars down with both PODS and I was using a ton of insulin, even increased my basal to .45. I take a shot and it goes down. Iā€™m back on 8 units total levemir and shots. I know the transition from MDI to Pump can be arduous but that was ridiculous. Maybe the cannula just didnā€™t work well with my body and little fat? IDK. Weā€™re working together for the next two weeks to get a better MDI basal and bolus rates and then Iā€™ll start on my Revel - Medtronic with the pump nurse. I wonā€™t try the PODS again.

A lot of people love the pods and swear by themā€¦ Sorry to hear they werenā€™t for you. Iā€™ve talked to people whoā€™ve used them for years without a failureā€¦

well, yesā€¦many people do. iā€™m quoting what my endoā€™s experience is. have you ever tried the pod or any pump, think youā€™re on MDI?

No, I havenā€™t and so far they donā€™t appeal to me.

[quote=ā€œSarah66, post:32, topic:48029ā€]
I saw my Endo Tuesday and she said her experience is that at least one pod will go bad within the monthly supplies, and probably more.[/quote]

That was my experience. I was surprised since I had used insulin pumps for 25 years at the time and fully expected a successful run with the pods.

Good luck with the MedT pump! I know it felt like going home when I went back to my Animas Ping after my failed pod trial.

1 Like

Iā€™m a newbie compared to you, @Terry4, but my experience with Omnipod was not too positive. Though I did manage fairly good control with the Pod, I needed quite a bit more insulin to do so. In addition, I had one or another Pod fail every 3-4 weeks. I had a MUCH better experience with the Asante Snap (tubed), so when Animas called me to tell me that I still qualified for their Asante trade-in deal, I jumped at it. And yes, I felt and feel more ā€œAt homeā€ with the Vibe than I ever did with the Pod (even in my limited experience).

1 Like

Sorry to hear the pods did not work for you but glad you will be trying the Medtronic pump. The pods make a huge, positive, difference in my life. Iā€™ve only had 2 bad pods since June. But each of us are different and better to learn what works and what doesnā€™t right away! Good luck with the mdi, too.

I am sorry to hear the PODS didnā€™t work for you, but glad to hear that you are moving forward and MDI is having some positive effects for you.

I know that when I started pumping, one of the desirable features was the ability to have different basal rates @ different times of the day. This was not only helpful with the Darn Phenomenon, but also with different times of the day when my metabolism seems to speed up/down.

Let us know how you get on with the Medtronic!

1 Like

I think I have 5 or 6 different basal rates, depending on the time of day. It certainly makes a big difference, as Iā€™m very insulin resistant in the mornings (DP) and I need very little overnight.