Just when you think it's safe to go back in the water

…along comes a sick day. Eric has a fever, 101.6, and he’s thrown up everything I gave him for breakfast. His BG is in a good range, probably because the juice I gave him early this morning stayed down for at least an hour (his first reading was low, hence the juice), but clearly unless I can get more fluids in him, we’re going to have a problem. I was feeling a little panicked earlier, but I keep reminding myself, this is just the first time among many, and if he runs into trouble, the hospital is only 20 minutes away… and I’m NOT going to think about or worry about the hospital bills, because those are irrelevant compared to making sure Eric gets the care he needs.

He’s currently lying in my lap half-asleep, having taken in a little water. I guess we’ll see how it goes.

try popsicles…not the sugar free kind

First off, hang in there. You seem to have a good attitude about how to deal with it and you’re right, this is the first of many times Eric will get sick. Fluids are a good thing - water, sugar free Kool-Aid, etc. Oh yeah, and even though I’m sure you’re doing it I’ll go ahead and mention “test early and often”. BG can be so unpredictable when a diabetic is sick so keeping a close watch can be key to preventing extreme highs and lows.

He’s doing OK. We’re having a little bit of a rollercoaster ride–ketones up, BG up, then ketones down but BG up, then BG down and ketones back up. He’s mighty chipper for a sick boy, running around babbling like usual, but every time I feed him, it comes right back up. Pediatrician says “stomach virus” and we’re just going to have to wait it out. Thanks for the advice though. I’ll try the popsicles!

Hope your little boy feels ok. You can even try sugar-free jello, and don’t let it settle, just let it cool in a cup and drink it, my kids liked that when they were sick! Hang in there, you have to make sure you are feeling good, since you are taking care of Eric, he needs his mommy!! I will think of you with a prayer.