Ketone testing

I have never been good about testing for ketones. I would like to get people’s opinions about how they test and what is the best (most reliable ) way. Trying to decide on a meter or just strips.

Are you talking about “ketone” testing?

If so, I test for ketones if I have two high blood sugar levels in a row that will not come down, if I’m sick with a cold or infection, or if I feel nauseated for no reason. I use the Precision Neo meter to measure blood ketones, just like measuring blood glucose.

2 Likes

Thank you, Jen, for spelling “ketones” correctly. I cringe whenever I see it spelled “keytones”. :scream:

1 Like

I stole some of the test strips from a pharmacy one time. But I got busted by the Ketone Cops.

3 Likes

After I was diagnosed, my parents started a written logbook in a notebook that had “Keystone” written on the cover (the brand of whatever company made the thing), and the cover was a bright purple colour similar to the colour of a positive ketone test. I could never look at that thing without thinking of “ketones” and how, if one letter were taken out and the other moved, my logbook would have “ketones” written on it.

4 Likes

this is about the most comprehensive thing I’ve found on key tones
(spelling :relaxed:)
Sick day rules…drink, correct n drink, drink n correct and drink again.
https://c.ymcdn.com/sites/www.ispad.org/resource/resmgr/Docs/CPCG_2014_CHAP_13.pdf

Bernstein is always worth watching on a subject.

My apologies to those of you who took offense because I didn’t catch the auto correct spelling of ketones from my iPad. And my thanks to those who actually answered my question.

3 Likes

I’m sorry, I was just having fun with it. I wasn’t trying to be flippant. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not that you’ve caught it, perhaps you would be so kind as to correct it. Many thanks!:slightly_smiling_face:

I did not take offense to your spelling. I am simply a stickler for accuracy, especially when it comes to diabetes. There is so much misinformation floating around in the non-D world and every little step we take to correct this, even down to correctly spelling diabetes terms, helps our collective advocacy.

Grammar is important. I always want to tell Katy Perry, it’s “The one WHO got away”, not “The one THAT got away”!

And commas can save lives. For instance:
Let’s eat Grandpa.
and
Let’s eat, Grandpa.

It’s a good thing Grandma caught that one!

2 Likes

No problem Eddie2. We are good.

Support First Responders

2 Likes

ROFLMAO – how is “Ketone Cops” not flippant? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

BTW, since we’re on the subject of spelling anyway, it really ought to be “Ketone Kops”. :wink:

My joke was intended for fun. But what I meant was that I wasn’t trying to be disrespectful of them or trying to diminish the importance of their question. That’s why I said I was sorry.

I got that. I was pulling your leg and it came off in my hand . . . :wink:

1 Like

Yes, I definitely turn the keytones setting off on my iPhone.

For my boys, I buy those disposable paper cups. I ask them to dip the strip in for a few seconds and then we check 15 seconds later. I’m fixing to purchase the ketone meter, as it seems to be very helpful when you are not able to void urine due to vomitting, etc. Anytime my boys are sick, even if they don’t have a high BG, I make them check because mine have been known to have ketones even within range of “normal” BG when sick. Water is your friend! Hope this helps :blush:.

2 Likes

I rarely do because I don’t get very sick often. And even when I do have extended high bs and have checked they’ve been negative. I think it probably is MORE important to understand what the symptoms of DKA could be. And anytime you have have bs- take insulin to cover and DRINK WATER!!! At least that is my game plan. Then again I’ve never had a serious illness or the flu in many many years. It’s probably good to have a jar of strips on hand- just in case.

2 Likes

One thing to know about ketones is that, if you have them and your BG is high, you likely need more insulin than usual to bring your BG and ketones down. I’m always somewhat amazed hearing about people who never get ketones. Before I started on the pump I didn’t get them often (usually only when sick), but on the pump any time I have any glitch in insulin deliver I also have ketones. So, for me testing for them has several benefits: It tells me I have a problem I need to deal with immediately and monitor closely, it tells me I need a new pump site, and it tells me I probably need to follow “sick day” rules (which doesn’t mean you need to be sick to follow them) when correcting my BG.

6 Likes