Lantus

I take 10 units of lantus per day to even out my pump and prevent my sites from failing as often.

So today I took 5 units from one bottle and another 5 from a new bottle because the bottle was almost empty.

Any way then I was wondering, does this mean it will be absorbed twice as fast ?
It’s only 10 units but I realized taht I don’t know if this alters absorption.

My sugar took a dive later in the evening, but I don’t know if that’s why or if my bolus was not calculated very well.

As 2 separate injections or 1 injection of 10 units?

May be slightly faster absorption if done as 2 injections??

Yes two different sites

I’m considering doing the same thing because my overnight basal requirement (3.4u/hr) exceeds the t:slim X2 maximum of 3.0u/hr.

I just finished an experiment using U-200 insulin but I can’t continue with the monthly cost for insulin going from $0 to $340. U-200 isn’t available in vials and so its not covered by Medicare Part B like my current U-100.

Can you tell us more about your decision to add Lantus to your pump and what adjustments you made?

I decided that if I pump more than 50 units in a day, my site will stop absorbing. I also noticed that when I change sets, I would get a spike that lasts about a half hour.
So adding lantus really flattens out that spike and now I’m pumping 43 units instead of 55 and my sites fail less often.

In the big picture, if you take long acting insulin, it prevents DKA even if you have very high glucose levels. I move into DKA very vast if I get a kinked cannula or site stops absorbing.
I have had symptoms of DKA after just an hour with sugars close to 300. Then it takes hours to get back to normal.
I haven’t had anything so serious in a long time, but I would like to think the lantus onboard might mitigate that.

So I started doing it and it makes a difference for me.
My basal rate is only .75-1.3 depending on time of day, so basal rate is not an issue for me.

You could take an extended bolus overnight to combat your basal limitations. If you take 10 units over 10 hours it’s the same as adding 1 unit per hour to your basal rate.
But you could also just use lantus. Or another long acting insulin

1 Like

That’s a different question I’ve never heard before! What I used to do was use the same syringe to pull the insulin out of the two bottles when I did MDI before. Someone out there on MDI must have done the two separate shots to know??? Either that or try calling Lantus and asking them.

And you do Lantus by injection/pen, not via pump I assume. (by stating “adding Lantus”, it could be implied as adding to pump!!)

My total basal is lower, but still may try this to mitigate the zero basal time.

Actually funny you said that. I tried to mix the two in my pump, but the effect is only good for the first day, then it’s just like normal analog insulin.
I really didn’t want to inject separately, but that’s what I ended up doing.
I know some people who use the pump only for bolus and corrections. But then you don’t get the varied basal rates when I exercise and fast etc.

2 Likes