Libre 2 USA availability

I believe the first 2 releases of Libre were 10 days, then 14 days. Both named Libre, but sometimes referenced by users as Libre 10 or 14 day. Other than days they were about the same.

Now newer version is released, Libre 2, sensors last 14 days AND new features mentioned above, most important that it does alerts.

Now that new one has 2 as part of name, some may refer to first others as Libre 1, even though that was not officially in product name.

USA just approved the new Libre (which was out in Europe already). It has ability to give you an alarm when you go over or under a BG number (I believe one that you set for your needs.) It requires scanning still.

Libre has built in alarms and can send wirlessly to the receiver without having to scan

The scan IS still required for readings. The alarms will alert without scan.

From linked article:
Now with Libre 2, users can be alerted automatically by the system if they are “out of range” (too high or too low). But to get a precise numerical reading, they still need to pick up the receiver and perform a scan.

Yes you are correct nut there methods to patch the app and get wirelessly. This is common in the diy community. For regular users probably a big lift.

This was also done with the Libre1 using miao miao and bubble. I did it with my 1 and it was a big help to be able to get alarms using the Libre1.

Unfortunately, abbot seems to have shut this down in the us…the patched app repositories have all been shut down…seems like the only benefit for the libre 2 will be the alarms for high and low… scanning is still needed, but the miaomiao2 might still work with libre2…also looks like it’ll be a little more money…I’ll find out how much when I pick them up later today.

The Libre 2 is supposed to be the same cost as the current Libre, at least that is what Abbot told me. But Abbot said the sensors are available but not the readers or the ap yet…I have a prescription in for the sensors, but decided to wait since I couldn’t get the reader yet!

What good are the sensors without the readers to set high and low alarms?

@Tony24
I believe they are going to be available pretty quickly.

But pssst, you want to wait anyways…last time they had a coupon to get a free reader if you upgraded from the 10 to 14 day Libre system. Powers that be have said they are pretty sure they will offer a coupon again of some sort.

anyone heard anything about medicare approval? i heard the app isnt approved or something

@stuparker The new Libre ap isn’t approved by the FDA yet. But they expect it to be within a few weeks. I think it’s harder to know if medicare will approve it. Abbot told me that the sensor is the same price, but you need a new reader. So you might have to wait to get the new Libre because of medicare needing to supply a new reader unless Abbot does some kind of deal with them?

1 Like

My pharmacy filled my libre 2 prescription today, but it was not the same price. For me, the 14 day sensors are $60 for 6 sensors(Cigna employer plan) as long as they have a prior authorization, however, the libre2 was $100 for 6 sensors and $40 for the necessary reader, as the libre link app isn’t fda approved yet…I decided to save $80 as I have not patched the libre link app yet, and even if I am able to figure it out, I’m still not sure it will work with the us libre 2…just an FYI…on the bright side, they are finally available in the us and are approved for children over 4.

Thanks for that - I will call Edwards and ask if the next order (in 2 months) will be the T2, if not I will try to find it elsewhere -

Got the libre 2 today. Only 34 dollars cash from kroger pharmacy. That is the good news. I did verify that the librelink app does not work in the US for libre 2. You can only use the libre 2 physcial reader for now. Once again waiting on the slow FDA to approve it.

2 Likes

I signed up on the Libre website to be notified when the Libre 2 was available, and they sent an email last week that the Libre 2 was now in pharmacies. So when I happened to have an appointment with my doc today, I asked him to write me a prescription for the new Libre 2 system with reader, but he said it wasn’t on his list that his office uses to order from, yet. Guess I’ll have to keep using the Libre 14 Day a while longer, unless y’all have any better ideas…

Ask your doctor to write it out, the old fashioned way !!!

Thanks, but I don’t know if he can do that because wouldn’t he have done that if he could have?

My endo does it, but your doctor’s office may require it be in system. But it’s their limitation, not medical/legal rule.

1 Like

They can still write them, they’re just not used to it anymore so it takes a little more time and effort. They are just used to looking on the computer picking what item by code and e-mailing or printing lol…I would say the only hindrance would be if the doctors office is the supplier, like say Kaiser and Kaiser doesn’t offer it, then it wouldn’t be on the list and you couldn’t get it.

I had my endo write a script for an insulin I wanted to order from Canada and I wanted the hard copy. My endo had no problem doing that but said they have to mail it out and with covid they are only mailing once a week or so. I was surprised they don’t need to mail anything regularly anymore but I wasn’t in a rush so it didn’t matter. But paper scripts just aren’t being used as much and obviously they aren’t needing to mail very much either.

PS It’s so new a lot of the pharmacies don’t have it yet either. I just ran into that. With a new script turned in they tried to give me the 14 day Libre instead of the Libre 2. They were oblivious there was a new one out.

2 Likes