Lockdowns!

I believe that behavior by the company is a danger to public welfare and they ought to be reported to your Governor. Companies can implement simple meditations to reduce risk to workers and should be doing that where possible. Thank you for making that call, @Marilyn6. Our Governor spoke about this issue today.

See MIN 28:50

1 Like

I’m kind of surprised they don’t isolate the states more.

2 Likes

Granted, most wealthy cities have major inequality/poverty problems - they tend to go hand in hand - but yes, I imagine the government of Canada, and its people, have responded more positively…

1 Like

Well, yesterday the governor of Florida finally issued a “stay at home” mandate… too little, too late. Later the idiot proclaimed that religious institutions were “essential services” and that churches could go on, as normal. Seriously??? While I believe my faith is essential to me, I do NOT have to congregate with anyone else to talk to my God, to practice my beliefs, and to be good with the world. My pastor offers online services which I watch. I pray – literally pray-- that all pastors, priests, and rabbis are smarter than the governor, and that all gatherings remain banned.

13 Likes

Thank God. I don’t know why they aren’t letting people off that ship. Where are they gonna go?

I saw that and I could not believe it! :roll_eyes:

209 new deaths in FL so far today

I’m in New York a real hotspot for Covid 19. The hospitals are now instructed to do triage meaning that anyone who is over 65 and has complications such as diabetes will be put to the back of the line or sent home without treatment.

Covid 19 is much worse than we ever expected.

Furthermore, it has not peaked yet, which means it will get worse before it gets better.

John (type 1 over 70)

1 Like

:frowning_face: Do not leave your home, DrJohn. If you need something, let us know and we can ship.

2 Likes

I’m ok. But, the offer makes me feel good.

John

4 Likes

:joy: :joy:
A “yes” or “no” is too simple and can get them in “trouble”. (Basically, we aren’t going to give you an answer so you can’t blame us depending on the outcome of what you choose)

https://app.smartsheet.com/b/form/09349a1c56844b539fea1c2cabd16d56
is a form you can send in your concerns. It does ask for contact info but it doesn’t have an asterisk so you may be able to do it anonymously. (Technically, you could even do it). Stay anonymous wouldn’t really work if there is not a lot of people but given the nature of the concern, I’m guessing there is enough people at his work for there to BE a concern.

On a side note, the one thing I have found very interesting is all the precautions the grocery stores are taking yet they are failing in one key one. Our stores, for the most part have been pretty good (some more than others). The one store has all their employees wearing gloves and many are wearing masks, they’ve put plastic on the credit card machine and are cleaning it between each person, they have also put up a plastic barrier between the checker and the buyer. They have someone all deck out that is bleaching the carts between each customer. All of this and yet there is no barriers between the baggers and the customers, the baggers aren’t wearing masks, the baggers at some point are usually only 2-3 feet from you, leaning over the cart, and they are all young (so are more likely ones to be asymptomatic…) I still appreciate all the others measures they’ve taken but it kind of reduces that effectiveness if

2 Likes

TuDiabetes is a forum about living with diabetes. As such, political comments should really be placed on other types of subject matter forums.

@George49 I expressed the same sentiment in other topics, and I think most people try to limit overt political commentary, but political values show up in much of what we discuss. My feeling is that Sherry’s comment was not overtly political, and fine within this content.

From a public health perspective, @SherryAnn is expressing what most health professionals think is the correct action, e.g., physical distancing, avoiding gatherings, etc. Even then, if we were to squash her comments about the governor, what about religion, another topic fraught with issues.

6 Likes

That was not a political comment it was a comment about a politician making health recommendations for his citizens. Rauch Limbaugh makes public statements that this is all a hoax, he is also an idiot, just not a politician.

FYI. The Pope gave his address today to an empty square at St Peters.

8 Likes

In all fairness to the people who view this forum to talk/read about diabetes, the trashing of radio hosts and governors is political and belongs in a different forum.

2 Likes

I am a 69 yr old type 1 diabetic who also has heart stents. My life is in danger if I get the virus. I didn’t work so hard all of these years to die from this virus.

The Coronavirus is not a hoax and physical distancing is important. When I hear so many lies coming from certain politicians and TV and radio hosts I feel we have every right to bring it to a diabetic forum.

Our lives are in jeopardy because of this virus.
Ignorance hurts us.

9 Likes

My island is really trying. No gatherings, only essential errands, that means grocery store, pick up food at a restaurant and exercise. They gave out warnings to people sitting on the beach or “playing” now they have started giving out tickets. You have to be moving, walking, running or swimming. A misdemeanor and a fine up to $5,000 and a mandatory appearance in front of a judge to say why you did it. I’m sure the largest amount would be repeated offenses and I think the courts are mostly closed down so I’m not sure what they are doing about the appearance thing. We also have a 9:00 pm curfew.

Only so many people are allowed inside any store. They base it on size of the store.
For example the Costco is only allowed to have 100 people at a time. You have to wait in a line outside and they have 6 feet segments separated by pallets for the line.

There seems to be some people that just want to ignore the rules.

5 Likes

Sorry you are so incorrect.
Good health is so very important to an diabetic.

I guess you are politically motivated.

4 Likes

As the OP, I did not start this thread just to get into an argument about politics.
With the title it sort of is going to call for certain comments to be made regarding policies about what different states or our government is doing or not doing for lockdowns.

I don’t think SherryAnn’s comment was out of line, but I understand the not wanting politics into the discussions that @George49 said too.

So stop bickering lol…try to keep comments to good/bad policies and stop from bashing specific people because otherwise this will escalate badly pretty quickly. I for one have been part of that in the past too as I want to defend certain things and then it becomes just a back and forth thing.

4 Likes