Losing License

Hi All! Went to first CDE class last night. The RN was driving home the importance of always carrying something for your lows. She mentioned that a woman from MI experienced a low while driving, the woman pulled her car off the road and walked to closet store in search of sugar. When she came back to her car a policeman was waiting, he issued her a ticket for not being able to drive. When the woman went to court she lost her drivers license for 6mos. The judge felt she had been irresponsible. Hello! Should she have kept driving and risked an accident? Does stuff like this really happen or was this a scare tactic?

This seems over-dramatic. However, throughout my life I have become acquainted with such stories. Personally, I have always kept “NABS” (aka: 4 - 6 packs of Peanut butter crackers) in my car door pockets. If I don’t eat them up, some body else will. I am fond of saying that diabetes makes best friends because diabetics always have food. Back to the issue, I think this was mis-judged. I wonder if she could appeal, representing the world of diabetics. Sitting in your personal car, drinking a juice or a soda, eating for refreshment should be honored, with or without diabetes. No, I do not agree with the verdict. Did she wait twenty minutes before starting the vehicle after refreshing herself? Hmm. AK.

I’m willing to bet either its a scare tactic story, or there’s more to this story than is being told. What if she ran out of gas? I think its an urban legend, one I’m going to look up.

Eater is coming. It is a great time to pick up Skittles in little packages that have about 17-22 grams of sugar. Also, the Swedish Fish and Sour Patch candy can be found in small plastic packages during “candy” holidays. They can put up with getting wet if the bag stays intact. They all can be opened with one hand and teeth and down they go. I carry them on me and have the hidden in several stashes in the car, by the bed, in the camera case, in the pack and always carry one in my pocket.

I agree this smells of an urban legend. I would want to see the case before I believed it…

I find this story hard to believe. Under what law could she be charged? How could she get a ticket when she wasn’t even driving?

Seems that she’d explain her low, had already eaten what she bought at the store & agree not to drive until her BG was stable, if there really even was a policeman waiting at her car. This tale doesn’t make sense.

I keep jelly beans stashed everywhere–in my purse, car, desk, in the drawer of the night table.

“Easter is coming…”

If she is on insulin and started her initial drive without proper preparation then this is irresponsible behaviour. Hopefully this judgement will always remember her to carry glucose tabs whereever she is going. People like her give us diabetics a bad reputation. Second to that we do not know the condition she was in after coming back to the car. If she ate something with slow carbs she may have still been under the influence of a low. In this case it would also be irresponsible to continue the drive. Diabetics being low can be very stubborn and aggressive. Overall I can not consider this judgement as unfair.

Sounds fishy.

But anyone on insulin should always have some type of fast acting carbs on them. I have a large bottle at work, and a large bottle in my car. I buy the small vials an dhave them in evey coat, purse, etc - and refill the small vials from the bottles.

And, everyone on insulin should have the responsibility of testing before driving - I can remember many times, where I felt fine, but tested prior to driving, and was sitting in the 50’s.

I would like to hear all of the story if it is true at all. Why was there a cop by her vehicle? i’m assuming she parked legally so as far as anyone knows she just went in for a pepsi and came out. Yes it was irresponsible for not checking and/or having sugar handy in the vehicle but i do not think that this warrants a suspension on her license. If it is true however i would hope that she atleast learned a lesson.

I keep either juice boxes or a can of soda in the car at all times. A little difficult in the winter to keep it from freezing, but with the other various candies and such, my car is a rolling sugar factory. Never leave home without it

That doesn’t really make sense though. You can’t be convicted of a crime before you’ve committed it. Also, one would assume she started eating/drinking the carbs as soon as she left the store. Depending on if she sat down for a bit and/or how far she had to walk, she may have been fine to drive by the time she got back. I don’t think the whole thing is a believable story.

Actually, makes sense to some of us! My niece is a real “eater” of my candy! so, need to have lots hidden in different places!

I am a lover of the sour Smarties. Can take varying doses from a roll and travel very well.

I wonder how the cop knew? I too carry glucose w/ me wherever I go. When I was younger, I realized that just a few rolls may not be enough…which may have been what happened in this case. I always carry reserves w/ me…in my car, backpack, etc. just in case I have several lows that day. I think, in this case, going to court was ridiculous…maybe we should take heart patients to court when they run out of their heart medication and are on the way to Walgreens to get a refill? Besides…she was “not driving”…the only person she endangered…was herself.

Seems like he was convicted of a DUI because he “pleaded (conditionally) guilty”…not really because it was determined he was “drunk will driving”. Seems like we get caught up in the law…vs the law serving justice and safety (in this case). Against popular belief…we cannot prevent every bad thing from happening…although, we could push for safety technology in pump, CGMS and automobile design.

As a Paramedic I have been to a great number of accidents involving Hypoglycemic patients, One an RN from a local hospital was on her way home from work and missed her turn more than likely because she was hypo, well she crashed 30 miles past her house yes she drove past her house, nothing bad she just went off the road and into some small trees, When I got there she had a red cooler bag on the front seat next to her and it had a note taped to the top which said Please save my life and then below that it had the instructions for mixing and administering her Glucagon that I would hope a lay person could follow. I believe she was charged with driving to endanger which carries the same penalty as driving while intoxicated in this State. I don’t believe this was her only episode with severe Hypoglycemia which may indicate that she has lost her ability to physically feel the effects of becoming hypo. I myself have noticed recently that as I become hypo my signs are not becoming present until I have gone way below what my previous threshold for it was so we have sense changed my ratio to compensate. I know that in my state you can be arrested for operating a vehicle under the influence even if you don’t drive your vehicle, the officer only needs to have cause that you had intentions of operating RE: sitting in the drivers seat, having keys in hand as you approach your car…etc. each State has its own laws so be careful my friends.

EXCELLENT Dave! Very well said (written). There is a lesson in this and it expands the meaning to the words “Take Care” when someone, anyone, says that. Truly, AK.

Good ideas! Thanks for sharing. I have depended on tubes of Glucose Tabs for many, many years. With your suggestions, I feel good about expanding my horizon! LOL. AK.

Yes, indeed! As one of my three part-time jobs is being a nanny to three children under the age of 10, they all learned all-too-quickly where I hide “goodies.” Now these goodies have been expanded to the back seat car door pockets for their convenience. It keeps them from staying away from my stash and they continue to adore me, hee hee. Learn, learn, and learn some more!