Lots of worries

I am always worrying about something. I am waiting to hear from Neighborhood that my insurance company suggested to get my diabetes supplies. They are helping me get the Dexcom CGM. I know it can take up to 6 weeks but when I look at my numbers and I am walking around drinking water, etc and my numbers are still high, I almost wished I had the CGM sooner. One night my dinner time BG was 307. I did my 33 units of the humalog mix 75/25 insulin. I ate between the 45-60 grams of carbs I am allowed to eat. A few hours later I check my bedtime level, still at 307. if I had the CGM I can see if what I ate steady the number or if it was fluctuating, etc. I’ll even have a bottle of water by my bed so if I am thirsty, I am not wanting to get up and have something different. I do drink a glucerema which is suppose to help. Well, sometimes it doesn’t! My sugar levels will still be high. So yeah, I really wished i can start my CGM! It is getting more frustrating at times.

The other night I had to call in my script for my insulin as I used the last of it in the morning. They told me they didn’t have any left and can order it for the next day. This is what bothers me the most! Why arent pharmacist trained to know the importance of Insulin. I told her I needed it for that night as I can not go without insulin. She was lost in words. She said “um do you want me to call another pharmacy to see if they have it?”. Shouldn’t this be mandatory??? I told her I am heading to Route 1 and there is a pharmacy on the northbound side. So i was waiting till she called. Good thing they had it but still. Its an inconvenience when I have to find a place to get it. When I lived in NYC I NEVER had a problem in refilling. But apparently in MA there is a HUGE problem with me refilling it. I am wondering if I can file a complaint to the Department of Health for the need for pharmacies to HAVE the drug in stock. I’ve had trouble with CVS on this issue and now Walgreens. I really think there is a need for a reform to GET pharmacist to UNDERSTAND about Diabetes and the NEED for insulin and WHY they need it in stock at all times. It just infuriates me to no end.

Job hunting isn’t going well at all. I’ve applied to numerous jobs in the last few weeks and no phone call. I even made sure that my phone number was correct. I understand there is over 100 applicants but at the same time I really CANT stay at my current job that only gives me 13-15 hours a week and only making 8.30/hr. I can not survive on that. Sometimes i have to skip a bill to pay my medications. I know its sad but it worries me that with the way this economy is going, i am wondering how I’ll survive. I know that getting a CGM and getting on the pump will help me with my Diabetes management, but if I can’t get it to be covered 100% as i am on commonwealth care which is state insurance, I can’t take care of my diabetes and will be stuck with finger sticks alone and MDI. I rather have my management get easier and not harder for me as my life progress.

I think I’ve said enough. Oh, I also created a new food diary. I took a picture of it. I am proud of my little project. Until the next time I write about what is going on, i think this is it for now.

Just hold STRONG!! IT WILL GET BETTER!

Doris I hope so…I just know what I need to keep me on track. It is already hard enough when you dont have normal insurance and a job that pays well to survive. I totally get frustrated and worried

Hey, Amy – it is very annoying when the pharmacy doesn’t have your insulin. I live in San Francisco, I’ve gone to the same pharmacy for years. I needed an insulin refill and they didn’t have enough. Those moments make me very nervous. The stress you are living with is immense. Under-employed with employer-provided health care is painful. I wish you the best in finding better employment and hopefully something with benefits.

It is stressful but you have to remind yourself that you’re doing everything that you can. Reach out to your drug companies. Many of them have assistance programs for people who are in a situation like yours.

Amy I’m so SS Diabaility and Tenncare. Pretty much equals what your on. I know the feeling all to well! I have to give my pharmacy credit though they know on the 3rd of every month I’m coming in to get my insulin and they KNOW to have it ordered (raised cane with them the month they didn’t have it). There not so good with other meds I take but they are pretty good with that!Poor you I know your feelings all to well. Before I got on these 2 I worked as a waitress (server) and it took all I had to get my meds. Hope that for you things get better’

Here’s {{{HUGS}}}for you!

I know that everything can be frustrating and with your situation and the economy and all the cr*p things can just feel hopeless. But it is not hopeless, and you can do something about it. You can have faith in yourself and that things will work out. You can do the things that are needed to take care of yourself. I think it is good you have started a food diary. We all have to be diligent about our diet, planning ahead and making sure we take the right amount of insulin at the right times. Having a CGMS and a pump can help, but it is only as good as the driver who counts the carbs and presses all the buttons. I know you can become that good driver. Keep your spirits up, things will work out.

Good luck getting your numbers down, that’s tough, but like bsc says you can do it. Here’s a suggestion to relieve some of the stress of getting meds on time. When you can afford it, try to pick up your next refill a few days early (most insurance plans allow this, some allow even 7 days early). Then next month, a few days early again. After several months, you’ll have a one-month backup supply to cover any sort of emergency that you might encounter. Then you’ll feel like you have some real insurance!

the issue is I make 8.30/hr only working 13-15 hours a week with bills to pay and can’t afford to skip bills. SO I can’t really get my meds a few days in advance if I dont have it. Plus my insurance company has the “its too early” rule. Its state managed care medicaid. So I dont have the luxury to get meds early