Low blood sugar 3am treatment for 2.5 child

Hello.

My son is getting low blood sugar at 3 am . But giving him any sugar drink like a nightmare specially while sleeping …
Any one has alternative to give him without wake him up?
Also any idea what can be given to avoid the low blood sugar and what time?
He sleeps at 8 to 9 pm

I highly appreciate your responses
Thanks

milk, or a honey stick? Those might work. I use milk right now for my son when he is low, but he is moving toward not wanting the milk so I bought some honey sticks just in case. :) Good luck!

Sound like you may need to work with your doctor to change either the timing or the dose of the long acting insulin (like lantus). I would call and ask them. I also find that sending my son to bed a little higher worked better, we didn't have to worry as much. A carb and protein combo snack at bed time did the trick (like a protein bar, yogurt or cheese and toast).

I wonder if putting icing or sports gel on his inside cheek would work for you?

What time tty o send to bed?
What is sports gel? Where can I find it?

Thanks for both replies

My daughter was having a bunch of night lows so we ended up decreasing the amount of long acting insulin she gets at night. If this is happening a lot I would talk to your endo about adjusting ratios.

My daughter just turned 6 but usually for lows at night it is easier to get her to eat fruit snacks than to drink a juice box. Honey sticks, pixie sticks or frosting are other ideas. Good luck :slight_smile:

I mean we sent him to bed with his blood sugar a little higher. I agree with Melissa, talk to your endo/doctor.
Something like this might work? You would have to go to a running or outdoor store and read the labels.

http://www.amazon.com/GU-Energy-Labs-Original-Nutrition/dp/B00CQ7QDQA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1393403138&sr=8-2&keywords=sports+gel

We have gotten a pretty good glucose gel from Walgreens. My daughter liked it and it is in the diabetes section. It is tropical flavored and she thought it tasted like a melted lollipop :slight_smile:

Melissa, doctor changed the long acting insulin to lunch time…
What is the suitable time for the sleeping and the snake?

Oh, ok. My daughter gets long acting in the morning and at night. I like her to be in the mid 100s before going to bed. I also will usually check her again before I go to bed just to make sure she hasn’t dropped. She is usually in bed about 8:30.

I keep fruit snacks on her bedside table too. We have also bought tubes of mini M&Ms for lows.

Maybe give a free snack before bedtime that is low carb but will still boost BS a little.

At what age she got T1?

When our daughter was a toddler, we had the most difficult time getting her to treat lows- especially at night. Ages 2 and 3 are so hard! Lows are common between 1 and 3 am because they don't need as much insulin during that time of the night. Reducing the long acting insulin is what I'd start with to reduce the amount of lows. Getting him on a pump would be best to control the basal insulin better. If you get a sippy cup, take out the stopper and put his favorite sugar drink - even chocolate milk - then while he is sleeping you can put the sippy cup tip between his lips and hold onto it and pour it into his mouth that should help. Soon, he will get used to this and sleep through it. But remember they are low and confused and will do battle sometimes anyway. It's a low symptom. See if this works better. It worked for us with our toddler. She is now 6.

My other daughter got very used to me coming in her room in the night and as soon as I said the word, "Juice", she would sit straight up and drink it down and fall back asleep with no memory of the incident the next morning. He will get used to it.

I've always given maple syrup via an eye dropper-- works great. He can sleep right through it.

We have found carbs and fat at bedtime and our daughter going to bed at about 160 to 170 will bring her in at 110 to 120 in the morning. It takes a little testing. Fats cause the foods to digest slower so if he has milk be sure it isnt low fat.

We were giving ice cream as the bedtime snack when our daughter was younger (still do sometimes) - I also invested in some of those glucose shots - they are only 2 oz instead of the 4 oz juice but they are pretty pricey - our problem was that she would take some of the juice but not all so the "shots" helped.

Chocolate milk was also a good bedtime snack (whole milk). The nighttime lows got much better for us after the honeymoon period was over - pumping also lets you have more control overnight - so if you were thinking of a pump - go sooner rather than later.

How many drops or ml ?

Gretchen was diagnosed about 3 weeks prior to her 4th birthday. It has been just over 2 years. She just turned 6 on Saturday :slight_smile:

depends on how low he is, and how old he is, ie how many carbs he needs. 1 Tbs of syrup has I think about 15 g of carbs and he usually doesn't need that much to bring him up.

What other fat snack can be taken rather than milk?

cheese, nut butter/PB, meat of any type, nuts, avocado....

Hi, When our three year old has lows at night, we use a 10 cc (mL) medicine syringe and suck up some maple syrup. He doesn't wake up and we put the tip in his mouth and as soon as he tastes it he sucks it right down. We've also chased that with some yoghurt in the same syringe. If we're doing it often we rinse with some water with the syringe too. He never wakes up!

Good luck!