Low carb and ketosis:

I don't have much fat either & use the top of my thighs, outer thighs, hips/love handles, the top of my butt & lower butt. I had awful bruising with pens. Hated them. Glad the pens were free so I could toss them away with no guilt.

Well, if a T1 or LADA needs insulin no low carb diet is going to prevent them from going way high. Doesn't make sense to tell someone that eating low carb caused them to be sick with high ketones. My doc is concerned with my weight also. As long as I don't lose any, he's chilled on that front.

BSC, I targeted the 80s on MDI so I wasn’t going to change my targets for the pump. I do know that Dr. B does not like pumps. I am also concerned about scar tissue – I have scar tissue from MDI. I don’t have to worry about “real men” not needing it since I am a woman!

I think Dr. B describes 85 as perfect in his book. Because of my voluntary work, I meet many diabetics. Among them people who feel hypo in single figures[we use mmol/l here.the conversion factor is 18] I get angry with myeself if I go above 6,[108] so make sure I hardly ever do. I'm trying to keep in the high 4s at the moment, but being T2 with efficient gluconeogenesis, I tend to be in the 5s[90 - 106]

Hana

So you are eating 30g of carbs per day correct? How many calories, grams of protein and fat do you eat on an average day??

Yep, between 30-35. I’ve never counted calories, sorry. I eat between 70-75 grams of protein & around 110-115 grams of fat. The fat could be more some days. If I stay around these amounts, I don’t lose weight. But, I’m older than you & don’t exercise as much as you do.

Thanks for the response :slight_smile: Thats about what I eat except more like 60 carbs per day. Any suggestions on how you get your fat intake each day? Some days it’s hard for me to get enough fat in without eating too much protein. Any suggestions??

Cheese, avocadoes (love them), nut butters, nut flours & i use cream, olive oil, butter & coconut oil in cooking. To avoid protein, you’re going to have to stay with foods that are basically all fat, of course. Can you add butter, cream & oils into meals? I make a lot of cream based soups–broccoli, asparagus, seafood chowder. WIth vegetables, I sometimes make a garlic herb cream sauce. My husband’s loving it:) I make curried dishes with cream or coconut milk added. Hope this helps some.

To chime in, cream cheese - 0 carbs 12g fat per serving. fatty meats (bologna, sausages, etc.) with low sodium are swell and bologna is actually low on the protein side. All that Gerri said, works great. We sf whipped cream with strawberries for a treat, (3 carbs, for 3 strawberries, 2 tbsp cream = 12g fat).