Low Carb Diet reversing type 2

My husband was able to keep diabetes under control but developed other problems including Gout by eating low carb diet.

2 Likes

I have been eating lower cab for 12 years 50 or less per day, no issues, my
A1c has bee 6 or less after starting at 12.0. In dont do Keto, or or any other plan which dictates how and when I exactly eat, just watch my meter and count the carbs. This works well for me. I see my doctor ate least once a year if require. T

2 Likes

I remember this from Bernstein. It’s a good approach, isn’t it, Jack16? I did it cold turkey—sort of let’s get the starting hard part over with. That works, too.

1 Like

Wow! I can’t imagine “reversed” while eating a single piece of fruit! The only fruit I occasionally indulge in is blueberries–and that is a big treat. But we are all different and our T2s are all different…

1 Like

“Fruit, vegetables, grains, potatoes, legumes, etc.” Wow! You live in a very special place with very special diabetics, I do believe. Those are exactly the carb sources that feed any tendency to be diabetic (like genetics) that you may be living with. The only fruit I have found I can eat are berries—a small handful. Period. None of the starchy vegetables. I’ve been T2 for a decade or so. No meds yet.

@Marilyn6 Marilyn is a T1. It’s a different ball game.
There are sites trailing back to 7th Day Adventist, claiming all sorts of stuff. You would never eat an egg or meat for the rest of your life. I haven’t seen any diet controlled T2 on a forum, say they are doing well on high carb low fat. I guess that’s the proof in the pudding.

1 Like

See the Mastering Diabetes website.

1 Like

I’m glad you are happy with it, being T1 is what I think is the difference for your BG.
Even though your blood trigs have gone up a bit on the diet. Not a good marker for someone with CHD.

We ran the low fat since the 70’s. it didn’t work. We are awash with obese T2.
Now that low carb is raising it’s head. They are singing the old song again. Let me know when there is a T2 on the forum who found it a good idea.

1 Like

Jack, my triglycerides are 42 and my A1c is 4.8. I just had blood drawn. Go to the Mastering Diabetes Website and actually spend some time reading about that WOE. Some of the type 2’s are able to stop taking their diabetic meds.

When I was following Dr Bernstein, I
probably wouldn’t have believed that a very low fat high healthy carb diet could work either for any one with diabetes. When I was educated about the Mastering Diabetes WOE I changed my mind.

I see that people can read 43 pages of the book Mastering Diabetes at Amazon for free. You might want to look at their book for more understanding of this woe for all diabetics.

1 Like

Hi Jack
T 2 here diagnosed ‘A1c of 12, in 2009. Low carb (30 to 50 a day) and my

A1c has ranged from 6.2 down two 5.6 No meds diet and exercise only. Works well for me.

3 Likes

While I know what you’re saying, it’s a pet peeve of mine when people said we did “low fat” since the 70s. The guidelines came out, sure, but American calories never really changed from ~30% from fat. Low fat is 15% or less. A bunch of products came out that took out fat and added sugar but nobody said to eat those but people still ate those and kept their macro nutrient ratios more or less the same.

1 Like

I just found this 2015 review in Nutrition: Statistical review of US macronutrient consumption data, 1965–2011: Americans have been following dietary guidelines, coincident with the rise in obesity.

Highlights

• Americans have been adhering to federal dietary guidelines for the past 40 y.

• Fat consumption by US adults decreased from 45% to 34% between 1965 and 2011.

• Carbohydrate consumption increased from 39% to 51% over this same period.

• There is a high correlation between the change in diet and the rise of obesity.

• The percentage of overweight adults has increased from 42% to 66% since 1971.

From this publication, this graph illustrates the macronutrient breakdown between fats and carbohydrates as a percentage of calories from 1965-2011.

As a population in America, we did dramatically reduce our dietary fat consumption from 45% of daily calories in 1965 to 34% of daily calories in 2011.

I’m not aware of any generally accepted standard of what constitutes “low fat.” On what do you rely to support your assertion that “low fat is 15% or less”?

Perhaps this is a semantic disagreement about terms. I think, however, that Americans consumed much less dietary fat in 2011 than they did in 1965. Not “low,” especially by your definition, but definitely lower.

American nutritional macronutrient levels did significantly change from 1965 to 2011.

1 Like

Me, too, though my A1c went briefly as low as 4.9 once, I think. Low carb just works for me. I’m tired of all the arguments which seem endless–but maybe that’s a good thing–meaning they always bring us back to some kind of common sense—LOL! What works for me, may not work for “you” because we are all different—LOL. That is sort of the meaning of Common Sense in this context—that being the context of “do the best you can” along with the Spockish—let’s all live long and prosper…

2 Likes

I really get tired of the arguments especially when those disagreeing haven’t really looked into the diet being judged.

15 yrs ago I started on the Bernstein woe when hardly anyone was following Dr. Bernstein.People were always telling me that it was bad for me and that eating low carb couldn’t work for diabetics. I rarely found anyone who really looked into what Dr Bernstein was saying.

Now that I am eating low fat high healthy carbs, I find that this woe eating is criticized constantly by people who haven’t delved into what the Mastering Diabetes woe is all about. I am just told that it is bad for me or that it can’t be done.

The Bernstein woe worked for me until my body rejected it. I ate less than 30 carbs for 11 yrs. It works beautifully for some people, just as the Mastering Diabetes plan works beautifully for others. Enough already.

3 Likes

While they do use percentages (that is how macros work) calories also went up in that time. On mobile so hard to do but fat calories were constant, protein calories slightly dropped, and carb calories went up. So technically that makes your fat percentage drop, sure, but only because people started eating more and hence why now 40% of Americans are obese.

EDIT - Not what I wanted but I felt I should share something. Calories just went up. Carbs, fats, and sugar. All else down or neutral. Nobody ate less calories from fat.

Of note, since I am newere here, I am a fan of low carb diets but there are certain narratives that the LC priests play that simply aren’t true.

Thanks for the info. Maybe I’m the weird one on here but I think Type 2 is often exaggerated. I just read on the net that there’s no need for Type 2 people to check their sugar if they’re on Metformin and it works for them. I believe it. I think the monitors are really about money. My husband and I are both Type 2 and enjoy eating sweets every day. Our a1c is always under 7 when we get it checked every 3 months. And we feel fine. We take Metformin and probably wouldn’t be able to eat sweets and other carbs if we didn’t take this med. I also get very annoyed when I hear that diabetics shouldn’t soak their feet. My doctor said it’s fine as long as the water isn’t too hot. They say a foot doctor should check your feet for sores if you’re a diabetic. We don’t waste time going to a foot doctor because we both have two eyes in our heads and can perfectly see if there are any sores on our feet. I think some people add lots of drama about Type 2, but even the internet said you don’t have to test your sugar if you’re on Metformin. So we wait until we see the doctor every 3 months and our a1c is always good. We don’t worry about diet since we take Metformin. We feel fine and enjoy carbs. Until there is a rise in my a1c, and there never is, then I will enjoy my life and not get overly dramatic about Type 2. And I will not waste money on a monitor. Besides, there are symptoms you will get if your sugar is high and I never get them. Good Luck to everyone on here.

You would only monitor your BG more frequently if you intended to do something about the results. You and your doctor have decided that <7% is your target range, which you are maintaining with your current diet. Perhaps a diabetic forum may be of use to you when you need assistance.

Under 7% will reduce the risk. However symptoms can be caused by an A1c above 5.5%. This can also help with T2 weight issues, because it usually requires a diet modification to achieve.

7 is really the old limit for a1c. I wouldn’t be happy with 7.
5.5 might be difficult to achieve, but 6.5 is doable. And above 6.5 is diabetic range. It’s nice if you can stay below that if you can.

This is a what about question, what about the majority of people eating those same foods and never becoming Type 2 DMs?

I firmly believe that our modern food are a big factor in those of us with the right genes developing T2DM.

I try to eat 2.5-3.5 carbs per meal, 80/85% of time. I have a treat, generally high carb, 15-20 % time or meals. If I can eat only 3’carb day sometimes, it’s my small carb day, short of fasting, but still likely progress.no am she 77, T2 for 40 years. I weigh 174, need to lose 15 lb. Jim