Lows at the gym

The past two nights I have been going low during my work outs. I don’t even have my basals on. I put it at a
temp basal of 0% and all of a sudden during working out, the spots come
to my eyes and then the shakes. Ughh! Good thing I can still feel lows
or else I would be on the ground.

Actually, I found out from my trainer (yes, I see a trainer, wedding coming!) that someone passed out from a low blood sugar last week. Great! I definatly don’t want to be next!

Well, whatever.

Sometimes living with diabetes can really be a pain in the damn ■■■. And other times, it doesn’t bother me at all. This is a week that I don’t like having diabetes, if diabetes were a person I would punch him in the face.

The trial and error thing is really getting on my nerves. Figuring out what the hell I need to do at the gym to keep me from a hypo, is becoming very frustrating. I am not sure I understand why all of a sudden after a couple of months that now I have hypos?

Just another day in the life of a person with diabetes! arghhh….What’s next?

Sometimes I find I can go low at gym or during a work-out, and other times I have to take an extra shot of insulin to cover a high. There’s no rhyme or reason for me, but maybe you’ll be able to figure it out. As for the lows at gym, carry the glucose tabs and pop them in. They really work quickly and aren’t that caloric or heavy during a work-out.

yea i have been drinking those small juice boxes, i really really hate the tabs.

Eat a little something before your workout.

Hey Gina, I’ve been fighting the same problem over the last few weeks. I’ve been writing about it on my page, but the long and short of it is this - if I cut my basal down to 0% two hours before working out, I’m usually fine, though a small snack may be necessary. If I go to the gym ANY longer than 2 hours after I turned off my basal, then I don’t have any active insulin in my body and my blood sugar will go higher than usual, especially if I eat something beforehand. I’m still figuring out when i need to snack beforehand, and when I don’t. If I do go low at the gym, a half a bottle of powerade typically picks me right back up.

Oops - I forgot - I test my blood sugar about every 15 minutes while working out. It sucks, but I plan to keep on doing this until I can get a more solid pattern picked out. I usually only work out for about 30 - 60 minutes now.