Makes me fat

Maggie I have been on a low fat high carb diet for more than 6 yrs, because a very low carb diet eventually was extremely harmful for me. The Mastering Diabetes way of eating is very healthy for most people. It is really very unfortunate that more people with diabetes aren’t aware of this way of eating. People who feel that they are insulin resistant are amazed when they become very sensitive to insulin.

Marilyn type 1 dx in 1959

2 Likes

I’m in Canada and buy Liviva (by Zeroodle) plant based pasta products. Check out liviva.com.

My doctor has told me this before, and I know for sure when I’ve taken more insulin I’ve also gained weight and fat.

One thing I learned way, way late into my journey with diabetes, though, is that I can either take a unit of insulin for correction OR I can walk a mile. This is almost always equivalent for my body. Your body will differ, of course. Just something to think about if you’re worried about weight gain. Before I take correction, I always take a walk and see if I still need it. Might be worth a shot if you’re concerned. I wish someone had told me this 30 years ago.

3 Likes

Absolutely! And the effectiveness of any insulin on board is multiplied by a walk. Or even ten minutes of any moderate activity.

So taking half a unit of insulin followed by a mile walk is all the more beneficial in stopping that rising feeling

2 Likes

My mom used to call a car a “death trap” . Thanks for the memory.

2 Likes

You can think of it from the opposite perspective. If you don’t exercise it’s much harder to control your sugars. I exercise after every meal just because of how differently my control is.

4 Likes

@Timothy, I have been counting calories and eating moderate carb, lean protein diet that resulted in 21 pounds of weight loss, but is stalled for no apparent reason, until a couple of days of fasting, after which i finally lost 3 more pounds. I’m now intrigued with the intermittent fasting. I’m trying to work out the best schedule, though. My daily insulin is around 33 units novolog by pump.

2 Likes

I’ve been doing 2 different types of intermittent fasting. On weekdays I have 2 meals a day where I eat both meals within an 8 hour window. On weekends I do 24 hour fasts. That equates to one meal a day. I also exercise while fasting. I also found it is the only way to lose weight without crashing

2 Likes

I want to revisit this thread because there is some misleading information about insulin and weight gain. Insulin is a multipurpose hormone. We tend to be focused upon its role in allowing the transfer of glucose as fuel through cell membranes.

But one of its other jobs is in the conversion of excess glucose into triglycerides by the liver and the storage of those lipids in fat cells.

In metabolic disorders such as insulin resistant type 2 diabetes mellitus there is a tendency to gain weight. Because the cells are resistant to insulin when they should be accepting it - two things happen 1. Blood glucose levels rise. And 2. Insulin secretion is ramped up in an attempt to overcome cellular resistance.

The excess of glucose that cannot get into cells that need it is converted into glycogen for storage in the liver, but this is a relatively small amount. When the liver is sated with glycogen, some of that excess glucose is converted into the lipid triglycerides which are stored in fat cells. The following quote says it all:

Insulin signalling enhances lipid storage in adipocytes by both stimulating triacylglycerol synthesis and inhibiting its breakdown. Insulin signalling mechanisms for triacylglycerol storage - PMC

To compound the problem when there is a lack of insulin (T1DM) or it doesn’t work correctly (T2DM) the cells of the body are screaming for fuel. This leads to one of the 3 P symptoms of uncontrolled diabetes mellitus, regardless of type, polyphagia - excessive hunger.

The starving cells make it hard to be physically active, resulting in fatigue.

It is a lot more complicated than calories in and calories used. Just as insulin has complex functions.

To me the key is to first gain really good BG management. For those, like me with inherited abnormal insulin resistance, doing daily exercise which increases insulin sensitivity. This means I need a lower total daily dose of insulin and have manageable hunger.

There is nothing simple about these diseases called diabetes.

Enough from me, I have an appointment with a bicycle.

6 Likes

If you’re trying to lose weight then what you should be weighing isn’t yourself, but the food that you eat.

Knowing precisely how much you eat is the most effective way to lose weight. If you’re maintaining good blood glucose control and you’re gaining weight then you are eating too much to maintain your weight.

If you reduce that amount of food then you will reduce the amount of insulin you need to maintain good control and your weight will come down by 1 lb for every 3000 calories less that you eat over an interval of time.

Your doctor should br able to tell you a daily calorie level to match your target weight. After that it’s up to you to figure out what small systematic reductions you should make in what you eat to get down to that calorie level over a comfortable period of time.
I’d suggest a month of very small substitutions rather than a radical change in the composition of your diet and try to substitute smaller qualities of foods that you can truly enjoy eating for the rest of your life. Because unless you enjoy what you’re eating you won’t be able to maintain that as a diet.

Since I started using a tandem pump a year ago I’ve lost 20 lb but that was not my intention. What I was trying to do was control my blood glucose to get maximum time in range without changing the amount of insulin that my endocrinologist prescribed per day.

That’s surprising. When I started on my tandem my control got much better and I started gaining weight like gang busters.
After 2 years I gained 22 lbs. I changed my diet to Mastering Diabetes diet and I began intermittent fasting. Doing that allowed me to drop 24lbs and counting. The diet doesn’t make me feel hungry or that I’m deprived.

Not every diet works for everyone. Not everyone feels ok with intermittent fasting, you need to try a few to see what suits you.
Another 10 lbs and I’ll have to start eating more calories to maintain weight, so that’s a plus I guess.

2 Likes

I’m glad to return to this thread and report that I’m now down 30 pounds! My BG is about the same, which is good, though I want better. Intermittent fasting seems to help me, along with moderate carb, lean protein and health fats. (I need to increase my fats)

Long acting insulin really seemed to add extra pounds on me, but since switching to a pump 5 years ago with Novolog only, I haven’t seen that. I gained weight for other reasons, mainly diet. My daily insulin dose is app 25 units now, Based on what i read on boards, that might be low.

2 Likes

Hi Everyone. Not sure if this convo is still live. Been enjoying the very interesting replies. This is my first post in this forum. I was diagnosed with LADA or T1 a little over 3 yrs ago at 53 yrs with an A1C of 13.1. For a year, kept seeing doctors thinking I was having a heart attack - it wasn’t until the DKA incessant thirst self diagnosis did it get figured out with demands for all the right tests. 2 antibodies through the roof. I have mostly always eaten healthy & exercised. I still exercise 5+ days a week w/HIIT (OrangeTheory - the best) Was doing really well w/BG control using MDI with G6 & Lyumjev & Tresiba. I appeared to be super insulin sensitive so I finally went on pump to give more precise doses. Been on Omnipod 5 for about 4 mos with Humalog & of course G6 and have gained a very frustrating 10 lbs which I want to lose. I don’t even know how it happened. But I find timing humalog frustrating & have a feeling it’s part of my problem. What’s left of pancreas function could also be heading closer to 0. Tried Mastering Diabetes, even paid for coaching program. But I became anemic. Fasting too long is too hard for me & gives me a headache. Love eating all the veggies, but definitely want to add protein back. I also found the extreme limits of protein & healthy fats of Mastering Diabetes plan too hard to stick to. TMI - uncomfy gas can also be an issue with this plan. Desperate for the perfect, easy to keep, healthy, mostly plant based but with more protein diet (without the gas from too many beans to get more protein) that can help lose weight & keep it off. I know everyone’s different - but I would LOVE to know what you healthy, fit, not overweight T1Ds are actually eating!!! What’s a typical day? I’m still a T1D rookie and am in such awe of all you many year T1Ds. Kudos for rockin’ it for so long!!! Guidance for healthy weight successful foods/eating would be wonderful. Thank you!!!

3 Likes

HighHopes - I’m particularly interested in what exactly you’ve been eating & doing if you don’t mind sharing. Congrats on your success which sounds wonderful!!! And it sounds like you’re doing it with something that can be stuck with. Thanks for sharing your success story!!!

1 Like

I have followed Mastering Diabetes for almost 8 yrs. I have never fasted in my 72 yrs. I don’t have problems with gas, but my husband does with eating this way. Our protein levels are fine, but we do tend towards being anemic. From what I have read, many vegans test out this way.

I like the diet because I find it to be very easy to follow. I don’t think that the diet limits protein. I eat a ton of beans, and lentils. My protein levels test out higher than when I was eating meat. I agree that it can be hard to stick to the limited fat.

I eat lots of fruit, and vegetables including potatoes, whole grains, pumpkin seeds, lentils, and legumes. I don’t eat processed foods including bread or any animal products.

I don’t mind the diet. I get plenty to eat, never skip meals, and can keep my glucose levels stable with a low amount of insulin.

Sure I would rather eat bread and more desserts, but I did that for the first 40+ yrs of being a type 1, so I don’t mind doing this now.

I don’t know what can be done for the gas problem. Have you asked the team at MD? My husband’s stomach never adjusted to eating beans.

Welcome to Tudiabetes. We hope that you enjoy the forum.

Marilyn
Type 1 dx 1959
A1c 4.8 I try to stay between 65 and 130
I eat between 265 and 300 heathy carbs and take less than 20 total units of insulin

contents removed by original author

2 Likes

@SKrunnerT1 ,

It sounds like you’re doing really well with pump treatment and exercise. I’ve been T1 for over 20 years and still struggle, though right now am doing pretty well. Still trying to improve and lose weight after inactivity after injury and torn meniscus. Hoping to avoid surgery, since I know that doesn’t always fix it.

I’ve just returned to the gym 4 days last week. I’m now down by 32 pounds! I think I need more calories based on how weak I got last week, but this is what i have been eating. (I intend to start eating a banana right before my workout, as I went low on Friday after bike and treadmill.). I’m not saying it’s great, but it has worked for me pretty well so far.

Breakfast: eggs and avocado toast. Sometimes, eggs mixed with veggies or a few black beans.
(I found there was an acclimation period to adjust to the beans. After a while, no more gas.)

Lunch: tuna salad with pickle relish, onion, mayo and tomato on whole wheat or wrap, or pears and cottage cheese, or chicken wrap with veggies, or soup. Sometimes, I skip lunch to help with weight loss.

Dinner: Chicken patty, brown rice and veggies, sliced tomatoes or Chicken breast or thigh, boiled or baked potato, green beans, sliced cucumbers, or pork tenderloin, cauliflower rice, broccoli, pinto beans or Salmon, whole wheat pasta with parmesan cheese, etc.

Snacks: Greek yogurt, almond milk, pears, blue berries, cantaloupe, hummus, celery, peanut butter, almonds, cottage cheese.

I don’t limit carbs, but just try to not go too crazy.

I’ll look forward to seeing how things are going with you. Good luck.

As I’m sure you already appreciate, what you eat plays a large role in your health with diabetes. Just know there are many ways to be successful and healthy in living with T1D. The way you choose to eat rests on many things, including emotional, psychological, and cultural.

One of the things I have finally learned is that a way of eating is based on a personal belief akin to one’s political or religious beliefs. It is a touchy subject!

The intention of my response is to make you aware that other successful long term T1Ds have made other choices than most have written about here. I have had LADA T1D since 1984 and my metabolic life materially improved in 2012 when I started to limit carbs.

I lost over 40 pounds, cut my daily insulin from about 80 units to less than 30. I now have an average BG of around 90 mg/dL, hypoglycemia less than 1%, and a standard deviation (glucose variability, less is better) of less than 20 mg/dL. The last few years my A1c has been 4.8% to 5.3%.

Many who make similar dietary choices as mine are able to enjoy similar results. The key is deciding to adopt a different lifestyle; not everyone can do that but most are capable if they choose it.

I eat primarily an animal-based diet with a smattering of vegetables and fruit. I eat meat, eggs, butter, cheese, cream, nuts, seeds, fermented vegetables, and berries. I avoid grains, processed “foods,” added sugar and other sweeteners, and most vegetables and fruits.

Welcome to the TuD community, @SKrunnerT1! I wish you success in whatever path you choose. People with diabetes can be much more successful than the medical profession sees for us. The TuD community outperforms the larger diabetic community and it’s a good place to find and germinate good ideas.

2 Likes

Hi again everyone on this conversation. I sincerely cannot thank all of you have responded enough!! I love seeing that success can be had across all the different “diets” or ways of life.

@HighHopes your “normal” healthy way of eating with all your success is actually inspiring me! @Marilyn6 I so admire your dedication to mastering diabetes, I really wanted to do the same but the limits were too extreme. Might try again though. And @Terry4 so glad you’ve had great success with super low carb!! Must admit, I enjoyed trying a keto life at the start. So yummy! Loved it except missed fruit & extra veggies a lot! Plus my bad cholesterol went through the roof (>200 for LDL alone - yikes!) HDL’s always been around 90 or so. Never had overall cholesterol >200 prior. All other tests were good but the very high LDL freaked me out. Per Dr I’m a hyper responder to cholesterol or something. That’s when I tried mastering diabetes which I’d say I’m still kind of doing - but with more plant based fats & only occasionally chicken, fish, cheese and eggs (or egg whites). Yum!. LDL is down to 70. Yay! Who knows, maybe I’m gaining weight because I’m not all in with master diabetes. So high-ish plant carbs & fats & protein. Just want to eat balanced healthy variety with BGs under tight control & be at a super healthy weight. AND not have food anxiety.

I appreciate finding this community. Dr. Isn’t really helpful. Sorry to hear others have gained weight starting new pump too. T1D sure is a constant battle & mystery. Guess it’s all about finding a groove that works uniquely for you through trial & error. :slight_smile: Take care everyone! Enjoying all the insight & tips!

4 Likes

You could be gaining weight because you might be eating to your insulin. You may have gained weight when you went on a pump because your basal rate was is too high and you are snacking to keep your BG up. Insulin in and of itself does not make you gain weight unless you are eating more calories than you need and then insulin will allow your body to store fat. Keep a log for a few days of what you are eating and how much. This will often show you where you might need adjustments whether in insulin, exercise or food to maintain good control.

You will find it easier to gain weight than you used to because you are actually getting enough of the critical hormone that allows your body to use and store energy.

1 Like